Only RIVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauzey

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2010
Washington State
If there unregulated, does that mean you don't have to do a 8 hr. charge before you use them? I perfer a higher wattage.

They take about 2 - 2 1/2 hours till full charge, they start out at 4.1 volts. I use them with the IkenVape 1.5 - 1.7 and Smoke tech 1.7 Single Coil Cartos.

Thanks,
Jeff~

mauzey

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2010
Washington State
I would do some chores or something while you were waiting, so you don't waste time.

Anyhow, Ty says in post #30:

SE just means they have silver accents instead of Gold. Initially, the standard (gold) Riva's were regulated. The SE was the first of the new unregulated style. They have all since been updated, and the only differences are cosmetic.

Ty

That would lead me to believe that all Rivas SE or Gold trim are unregulated.

skydragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Mountain Cave
I would do some chores or something while you were waiting, so you don't waste time.

Anyhow, Ty says in post #30:

That would lead me to believe that all Rivas SE or Gold trim are unregulated.

Or does it mean they have all been updated to regulated? But thanks for the input.

All of them are unregulated.

Thank you spaceballs.

kingu

Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Having both the E-go and the Riva batteries, I have to say, I prefer the Riva batteries, hands down. Better vape with cartomizer or tank, both both pale in comparison to the ease and great results of the cartomizer tank. Talk about a wonderful device - if you like the greatness of a cartomizer, but hate refilling all the time or carrying spare cartomizers, the tank is the way to go.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Regulated or not, the Rivas perform extremely well. Just for kicks, I went out and got a multimeter to do some very unscientific testing. Here's what I got:

Riva 510 - 4.18V fresh off the charger, 3.431V at end of charge.

Riva 901 - 4.07V fresh, 3.585 at end of charge.

Last edited:

ImYourSalt

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
liberty-flights.com
Do the Firefly's have a sealed battery like the Riva's?

Yep. Pretty much all batteries are sealed these days, unless they are automatic. Though, I think we did get a batch a while ago of Riva 901s that weren't sealed.

So now I am confused. Which batts are unregulated?

Smok Tech Riva, Ego, and EM Riva. Joye batteries are all regulated. So is the firefly. Mini batt's will be regulated too. The Joyes are standard 3.4/5, and the LF 510's are 3.6v.

If there unregulated, does that mean you don't have to do a 8 hr. charge before you use them? I perfer a higher wattage.

No. When we say regulated, we are talking about the voltage. A typical 3.7v li-ion cell will fully charge to 4.2v, and deplete around 3.3v. For e-cigs, this means as you use the battery, the voltage, and overall wattage will slowly decrease, until you need to recharge it. Joye/Firefly batteries are regulated, and should produce a consistent 3.4-3.5v, throughout the charge. I prefer unregulated, because I like the extra heat.

Since li-ion batteries do not have a memory effect, long initial charges are unnecessary.

Having both the E-go and the Riva batteries, I have to say, I prefer the Riva batteries, hands down. Better vape with cartomizer or tank, both both pale in comparison to the ease and great results of the cartomizer tank. Talk about a wonderful device - if you like the greatness of a cartomizer, but hate refilling all the time or carrying spare cartomizers, the tank is the way to go.

I second that. I got some new Single Coil cartos for the DCT tanks. these are yummy! They are listed as SCT cartomizers. Electronic Cigarette - Cartomizers - DCT - Carto Tank

Regulated or not, the Rivas perform extremely well. Just for kicks, I went out and got a multimeter to do some very unscientific testing. Here's what I got:

Riva 510 - 4.18V fresh off the charger, 3.431V at end of charge.

Riva 901 - 4.07V fresh, 3.585 at end of charge.

You can see here, that they are NOT regulated. A regulated battery, would produce a regular voltage. It wouldn't swing so much. something like this:

3.5v fresh off the charger, 3.4v at the end of charge.

regulating it like that at the low end, allows for maximum capacity. if it were regulated say around 3.8v, it would noticeably reduce use time in between charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread