Oops, I forgot the intro!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawaiianVaporTrailz

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2015
Greetings, all!

Good morning to everyone in the vaping world. It just occurred to me that I forgot my etiquette and didn't do a proper introduction, so here goes:

I was born and raised in Hawaii, and have been in TX for over 15 years. I'm married to the most wonderful girl, also born and raised in Hawaii, but has been in TX for close to 30.

I have many interests: an eclectic taste in movies and music. I also love to read and especially enjoy Tom Clancy-esque type novels.

I am a pack-a-day smoker, and aim to become smoke-free by the end of the year. Which brings me to the Wonderful World of vaping!

I was going with a barebones starter kit, since I knew so little. But after a lot of research, (and I mean A LOT) I've come to realize that an eGo type starter kit, while budget friendly, does not offer a whole lot in the way of future upgrade-ability. Besides, an eGo type battery, from what I understand, has a relatively short lifespan, so a new one will have to be bought every few months. This brings me to my next quandary.

I am now looking at the eLeaf iStick 30. Much more powerful and advanced than the starter kits I was looking at, but simple enough that even a simple-minded idiot like myself can figure it out. LOL!

BUT, as with all things battery related, eventually they wear out, and I'll be stuck with what will be considered an expensive paperweight. Which brings me to the next level. Now I'm considering a box mod with replaceable batteries. I've researched the various brands and models, but what really draws my attention is the Kanger Subox Nano Mini Starter Kit. When the battery wears out, I simply pop in a new set. Game, set and match.

Not sure what brand or type of tank it comes with, but I'm assuming that it's Kanger. I've read that Kanger coils are notoriously short lived, and have to be replaced more often than say, an Aspire coil. What say you?

My head is spinning now and about to explode. Gonna walk away now. But seriously, folks, what do you think of my choices? iStick 30 or Kanger Nano?

Happy vaping, everyone!
-Ross

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
Welcome.

Honestly even though an ego is short lived you may want to start there. I say this because after a month you'll want something of an upgrade anyway. No matter which device you start with you'll figure out there's thousands of options. Egos are usually cheap and great for starters just to get you going. While vaping the ego you can research mods and try different juices.

Vaping usually becomes a hobby. I buy a new mod and tank every fee weeks. I have a huge collection. It's fun and of course much healthier. The juices, once you find the tastes you enjoy, are way better than smoking. I was a chain smoker of Marlboro lights for well over 20 years. I've been cigarette free for nearly 4 years now thanks to vaping.

Good luck and again welcome. :vapor:

Maytwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
SW France
If you put the cost of an istick 30 against the cost of smoking a pack a day, it really doesn't turn out to be that expensive a paperweight. I've been vaping my istick 20 daily since October last year and my istick 30 since February and they are both still going strong :) Having said that, I have also now got a Kanger Subox Mini where I can swap the batteries, but that is more to guard against the up and coming legislation in Europe :(

In any event, you'll always need a backup so if you can, go with both the istick and the Kanger Nano :thumb:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
If you M2L (mouth-2-lung) inhale, I often recommend an iStick 30 watt or Coolfire 4 (batteries) with an Aspire Mini Nautillus or eLeaf GS Air M (tanks).

The GS Air M tanks/coils are less expensive than the Nautilus (they are chrome plated) but still work very well. Tank and 5-Pk of coils go for around $10 each. Check out Sweet Vapes, they usually have all of the above in stock.

The built in batteries last a long time (especially if you have a backup mod that you also use). Videos below.

eLeaf iStick 30 Watt
Innokin Coolfire 4
Aspire Nautilus Mini
eLeaf GS Air M Tank

If you want a mod that uses replaceable batteries, look at the Kanger Subox Mini Kit. You can direct lung hit with this tank and many members report they can M2L hit with this as well.

Kanger Subox Mini Kit - 18650 battery (and charger) not included.

Last edited:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
The common perception about Kanger coils not lasting is not always accurate.
The old coils were fairly bad, and created a worldwide reputation for being short-lasting... compounded by the relative 'value' of the newer Aspire BVCs.

I gave up with Kanger coils in 2013... and started rebuilding them. These days I use the OCCs and the SOCCs and TOCCs for "legacy" tanks. They are all within the boundaries of acceptable for life-span.

As for the box mod. If you have no batteries and charger... a throwaway (non-replaceable battery) mod is sensible* and actually my choice. If you have batteries/charger, then there is no competition really.

*Many people buy replaceable battery mods thinking they will never throw the mod away and can't lose. Sadly... cheap mods are cheap mods and often don't outlive the battery anyway.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Welcome and it looks like you e already done your homework! Some great suggestions already here and I don't think you cant go wrong with either choice or both. I have two Istick30w and nautilus mini's, and the GS-tank and GS-airs, all good tanks. Thinking about a subox mini as well, I would start with the others though :) also now you can get an Istick40w pretty cheap and eventually can do temperature control with that one if you want though nickel coils are not something I wanna vape with. You can use other non TC tanks with it though.

gjam

Aug 29, 2015
Climax, Ks.
My Kangertech subox mini kit was heaven sent for a newbie like me. The 0.5 sub-ohm vertical coil sent with the kit is great and long lasting. also comes with a 1.5 ohm vertical coil and an RBA as well so you can get acquainted with building coils and cottoning up. My kit was 59 bucks w/ a little shipping so all and all this was a great deal for me and my limited budget. I have also added a fishbone RDA to the mix and the subox gives good performance with the 50 watt range it provides... Well that's my two cents man and I wish you the best on your vaping journey. Take it light .............................G

HawaiianVaporTrailz

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2015
My Kangertech subox mini kit was heaven sent for a newbie like me. The 0.5 sub-ohm vertical coil sent with the kit is great and long lasting. also comes with a 1.5 ohm vertical coil and an RBA as well so you can get acquainted with building coils and cottoning up. My kit was 59 bucks w/ a little shipping so all and all this was a great deal for me and my limited budget. I have also added a fishbone RDA to the mix and the subox gives good performance with the 50 watt range it provides... Well that's my two cents man and I wish you the best on your vaping journey. Take it light .............................G

Dang iPhone. I was going to do a group reply and hit the wrong button. Guess I'll use my desktop 'puter for these things. Sorry!

Reactions: Maytwin

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Good morning. and howdy back from another Texan. I'd say you were on the right track. It is very difficult to advise you as you have not yet started vaping. There are many different styles and people are individuals about what they actually want. There is no shortage of people who like to vape in the power level normally provided by the eGo type battery, although they usually move up to a replaceable battery mod later, just a lower powered one. One of the big questions, not yet answered, is whether you will be a mouth-to-lung hitter, the way most people smoke cigarettes, or a direct lung hitter, the way most people smoke certain herbal substances this board prefers not being mentioned. Practically all ex-smokers begin MTL, but many move on to direct lung hits later. I did. The thing is, different gear is appropriate for those purposes. The price of an iStick 30 is not a lot greater than a carton of smokes in Texas, so basically, by the time you add the cost of a tank and some juice, if you get a month out of it, you broke even. You have, however, put your finger on my primary objection to fixed battery mods: when the battery goes, and they do, usually faster than the electronics, it's a paperweight. I greatly prefer removable batteries.

So, if you think you're probably going to start as MTL, as most do, it's going to be hard to beat the iStick30 and a Nautilus tank in the beginning. You are somewhat likely to outgrow them eventually, but possibly not. Some people like being in that power range for forever as I have said. There are alternatives to the Nauti, but none I'd recommend for MTL for a vaper in your experience range. Viable options exist for the iStick. The Innokin Cool Fire 4 is well thought of and, IMHO, a better piece of gear. Another option is iStick is now shipping a 40 watt model with Temp Control. TC is hardly a panacea, but it is useful for avoiding the dreaded "dry hit" and I think it's going to be the way to go with a few more generations of firmware. It's a thought, on you should be aware of.

The Kanger subox kit you mention is another great idea. It's a bit bigger and more powerful than most people start with, but it works just fine and can be adjusted down into the low power range for beginners easily and effectively. It comes bundled with some variety of the Kanger Subtank. This is a solid option as well, possibly the class of the field because it has such a wide variety of available coils. The come +ohm, and subohm as well, to adjust power and vapor levels. In addition, all sizes except the nano come with a rebuild deck so you can make your own coils and wick them how you like. This is how you beat the high cost of replacements. In low end gear, it's hard to beat the Subox for adaptability, and would offer you a wide variety of possible vape scenarios so you can find the one you like best. I really do recommend it if the larger size and removable battery idea do not disturb you. One caveat: if you decide to go this route, come and talk to us about batteries before buying. Batteries are very important for both safety and cost, and a number of the best ones are widely counterfeited. Knowing what to get and where to buy them will likely save you some grief in the future.

HawaiianVaporTrailz

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2015
Hi Ross, Just want to welcome you. I'll let the experts help you on your quest. Don't be surprised if you quit smoking before the end of the year. I quit in 6 days after I started vaping.

Enjoy!! :)

Thanks for the welcome, Katmar. That's great that you quit smoking so fast! I think I'll start off with 18% nic and gradually work downwards.

Welcome.

Honestly even though an ego is short lived you may want to start there. I say this because after a month you'll want something of an upgrade anyway. No matter which device you start with you'll figure out there's thousands of options. Egos are usually cheap and great for starters just to get you going. While vaping the ego you can research mods and try different juices.

Vaping usually becomes a hobby. I buy a new mod and tank every fee weeks. I have a huge collection. It's fun and of course much healthier. The juices, once you find the tastes you enjoy, are way better than smoking. I was a chain smoker of Marlboro lights for well over 20 years. I've been cigarette free for nearly 4 years now thanks to vaping.

Good luck and again welcome. :vapor:

Hi, Elizabeth!
At first I was thinking along the same lines, but with my limited budget, (and who doesn't have that problem these days?) that I may as well spend a little bit more and upgrade immediately.

According to the Chinese Zodiac, I was born during the year of the Rabbit. And persons born during this year tend to take their hobbies VERY seriously, sometimes to excess. Found a local B&M vape shop and it looks as though I'll be increasing their profit margins over the next several years. LOL

Welcome to ECF Ross, make yourself right at home :)

Thanks!

If you put the cost of an istick 30 against the cost of smoking a pack a day, it really doesn't turn out to be that expensive a paperweight. I've been vaping my istick 20 daily since October last year and my istick 30 since February and they are both still going strong :) Having said that, I have also now got a Kanger Subox Mini where I can swap the batteries, but that is more to guard against the up and coming legislation in Europe :(

In any event, you'll always need a backup so if you can, go with both the istick and the Kanger Nano :thumb:

I have been levitating more towards the iStick 30 kit. As a matter of fact, a local shop has the 40 kit for a few dollars more. Doubt I'll ever need the TC, but nice to know I'll have extra wattage to play with.

Hmmmm. Maybe they'll give me a freaky good deal if I purchase both the 30 and 40?

If you M2L (mouth-2-lung) inhale, I often recommend an iStick 30 watt or Coolfire 4 (batteries) with an Aspire Mini Nautillus or eLeaf GS Air M (tanks).

The GS Air M tanks/coils are less expensive than the Nautilus (they are chrome plated) but still work very well. Tank and 5-Pk of coils go for around $10 each. Check out Sweet Vapes, they usually have all of the above in stock.

The built in batteries last a long time (especially if you have a backup mod that you also use). Videos below.

eLeaf iStick 30 Watt
Innokin Coolfire 4
Aspire Nautilus Mini
eLeaf GS Air M Tank

If you want a mod that uses replaceable batteries, look at the Kanger Subox Mini Kit. You can direct lung hit with this tank and many members report they can M2L hit with this as well.

Kanger Subox Mini Kit - 18650 battery (and charger) not included.

Thanks for the helpful hints! Not ready to make a purchase yet, but I am keeping an open mind and looking at all options. It's actually fun to pick all the possible options and combos available. Keeps me out of trouble at the very least!

And I am planning on using M2L, since that's what I'm currently doing. More efficient nic absorption too. Yes!

The common perception about Kanger coils not lasting is not always accurate.
The old coils were fairly bad, and created a worldwide reputation for being short-lasting... compounded by the relative 'value' of the newer Aspire BVCs.

I gave up with Kanger coils in 2013... and started rebuilding them. These days I use the OCCs and the SOCCs and TOCCs for "legacy" tanks. They are all within the boundaries of acceptable for life-span.

As for the box mod. If you have no batteries and charger... a throwaway (non-replaceable battery) mod is sensible* and actually my choice. If you have batteries/charger, then there is no competition really.

*Many people buy replaceable battery mods thinking they will never throw the mod away and can't lose. Sadly... cheap mods are cheap mods and often don't outlive the battery anyway.

Guess I can't believe everything I read about Kanger coils. Especially taking into account the many variables involved, i.e. Thicker/darker/sweeter ejuices, excessive wattage/voltage, vaping habits, etc.

I'll be sure to keep an open mind on all products in the future. And I may even think of going the rebuilding coil route further down the road. More cost efficient, so now I can buy more vaping goodies!

Welcome and it looks like you e already done your homework! Some great suggestions already here and I don't think you cant go wrong with either choice or both. I have two Istick30w and nautilus mini's, and the GS-tank and GS-airs, all good tanks. Thinking about a subox mini as well, I would start with the others though :) also now you can get an Istick40w pretty cheap and eventually can do temperature control with that one if you want though nickel coils are not something I wanna vape with. You can use other non TC tanks with it though.

Thanks for the welcome, David! This kind of homework is fun. Too bad high school and college wasn't as fun. LOL

I was thinking of the Kanger subox as well, but decided, for various reasons (mainly financial) to go the built-in battery mod direction. HOWEVER, this doesn't mean that I've permanently eliminated the Kanger. I'll be keeping an eye on it for possible future purchase.

Reactions: Maytwin

HawaiianVaporTrailz

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2015
Welcome, I have the I stick 40w tc and really liked it. It got me off analogs and I really liked the tc. I've since upgraded to a nicer mod but it was a great starting mod. But it sounds like the subox is also a good choice. Anything to get off analogs;)

Yes, anything is much better than analogs. I may however, indulge in the occasional pipe and cigar.

HawaiianVaporTrailz

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2015
Good morning. and howdy back from another Texan. I'd say you were on the right track. It is very difficult to advise you as you have not yet started vaping. There are many different styles and people are individuals about what they actually want. There is no shortage of people who like to vape in the power level normally provided by the eGo type battery, although they usually move up to a replaceable battery mod later, just a lower powered one. One of the big questions, not yet answered, is whether you will be a mouth-to-lung hitter, the way most people smoke cigarettes, or a direct lung hitter, the way most people smoke certain herbal substances this board prefers not being mentioned. Practically all ex-smokers begin MTL, but many move on to direct lung hits later. I did. The thing is, different gear is appropriate for those purposes. The price of an iStick 30 is not a lot greater than a carton of smokes in Texas, so basically, by the time you add the cost of a tank and some juice, if you get a month out of it, you broke even. You have, however, put your finger on my primary objection to fixed battery mods: when the battery goes, and they do, usually faster than the electronics, it's a paperweight. I greatly prefer removable batteries.

So, if you think you're probably going to start as MTL, as most do, it's going to be hard to beat the iStick30 and a Nautilus tank in the beginning. You are somewhat likely to outgrow them eventually, but possibly not. Some people like being in that power range for forever as I have said. There are alternatives to the Nauti, but none I'd recommend for MTL for a vaper in your experience range. Viable options exist for the iStick. The Innokin Cool Fire 4 is well thought of and, IMHO, a better piece of gear. Another option is iStick is now shipping a 40 watt model with Temp Control. TC is hardly a panacea, but it is useful for avoiding the dreaded "dry hit" and I think it's going to be the way to go with a few more generations of firmware. It's a thought, on you should be aware of.

The Kanger subox kit you mention is another great idea. It's a bit bigger and more powerful than most people start with, but it works just fine and can be adjusted down into the low power range for beginners easily and effectively. It comes bundled with some variety of the Kanger Subtank. This is a solid option as well, possibly the class of the field because it has such a wide variety of available coils. The come +ohm, and subohm as well, to adjust power and vapor levels. In addition, all sizes except the nano come with a rebuild deck so you can make your own coils and wick them how you like. This is how you beat the high cost of replacements. In low end gear, it's hard to beat the Subox for adaptability, and would offer you a wide variety of possible vape scenarios so you can find the one you like best. I really do recommend it if the larger size and removable battery idea do not disturb you. One caveat: if you decide to go this route, come and talk to us about batteries before buying. Batteries are very important for both safety and cost, and a number of the best ones are widely counterfeited. Knowing what to get and where to buy them will likely save you some grief in the future.

Greetings to another Texan!

I am planning on going M2L, which is what I'm doing now with analogs. And I'm leaning towards the iStick and Coolfire. There's a local B&M that sells the iStick 30/Nautilus mini kit at a pretty good price. Same with the 40 model as well.

There's definitely something appealing with the Kanger subtank. Nice, clean lines, small and light. I'm in no paricular rush to get a vape device. I want to weigh all my options.

And if I decide to go with an external battery mod, such as the Kanger, I'll definitely ask you guys for advice. Burning down my condo because of a lack of knowledge and proper equipment is not high on my list of priorities.

And I am definitely going to think of rebuilding my own coils, though it may prove problematic for me since I'm kinda all thumbs when it comes time to fix things.

Much Mahalos to everyone who has greeted me to these forums and offered great advice!

Happy Vaping, everyone!
-Ross

Reactions: suprtrkr

fg2015

Aug 20, 2015
For something that might last you a while, allow you to experiment a little, perhaps try higher wattage tanks/occs or builds. I would suggest something in the 70-75W range. And the Kangertech subtank mini, probably the best choice for you as well. A great little subtank that works pretty well with all manner of occ or rba builds. Dang you can even experiment with vertical coil build with one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread