Opinions on battery going bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Samsung 25r. A few months old. Never pushed higher than about 8.4A.

At bedtime last night the battery was at about 4V. I removed it from the mod (a Zero styled mod with sx300 chip) because I had another of the same mod set on fire about 6 months ago. I'm paranoid and don't leave batterys in it when its unattended. Put it in this morning and realized this afternoon my mod had turned off. I wasn't certain if the mod had died or what. I pulled the battery and it read 2.5V. I had barely used it today. The mod seems to be working fine with another battery, but I'm keeping a close eye on it right now.

I don't know if the battery went bad or if the mod did it.

If its the battery, what might have caused this?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Batteries are imperfect objects, in my opinion. Although it's rare, they can just die for no apparent reason.

I had a Samsung25R which I was using along with two Sony VTC4 in a mechanical mod firing a 0.6 ohm dual coil build. This setup was not pushing the battery too hard, as I always leave a margin of safe headroom. One day it was dead to the world. It was almost a year old.

I'm not familiar with the Zero Mod or the sx300 chip. But from your experience with a previous model which went up in flames I'd be a little concerned the mod may be the culpret.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Samsung 25r. A few months old. Never pushed higher than about 8.4A.

At bedtime last night the battery was at about 4V. I removed it from the mod (a Zero styled mod with sx300 chip) because I had another of the same mod set on fire about 6 months ago. I'm paranoid and don't leave batterys in it when its unattended. Put it in this morning and realized this afternoon my mod had turned off. I wasn't certain if the mod had died or what. I pulled the battery and it read 2.5V. I had barely used it today. The mod seems to be working fine with another battery, but I'm keeping a close eye on it right now.

I don't know if the battery went bad or if the mod did it.

If its the battery, what might have caused this?

If you have a new battery, I'd put it in the mod and check the voltage before insertion, then leave it in a safe place (maybe a cement floor) for a day. Check the voltage after 24 hours or so. Leave the mod on, but don't fire it. If it is dropped more than smidgen, it's the mod. I think somehow the mod is draining your battery in its 'on' state. Of course, I am truly unknowledgeable of this stuff and can only use my best judgement with these things.

Reactions: roxynoodle

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
If you have a new battery, I'd put it in the mod and check the voltage before insertion, then leave it in a safe place (maybe a cement floor) for a day or so. Then check the voltage after 24 hours or so. Leave the mod on, but don't fire it. If it is dropped more than smidgen, it's the mod. I think somehow the mod is draining your battery in its 'on' state. Of course, I am truly unknowledgeable of this stuff and can only use my best judgement with these things.

If I'm going to do that I think it would be safer to put it in something fireproof and put it outside. My back porch has a cement floor, as well as my basement, but I would rather not have any fire inside the house.

So instead of actually using it, I should take off the atty, and secure it and check it tomorrow?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Right now I'm very suspicious of the mod. Time should tell as we go through the rest of the day. If I see excessive battery drainage, the mod will be getting completely rebuilt.

If it was just the battery though I'm wondering what happened to it?

If it matters, my build is 0.7 ohms and 25W.

I think there has been three of these sudden-death events reported in the past couple of weeks. IIRC, two of them were 25R's (don't remember what the third was). I'm wondering if there are some fake 25's floating around? At least one has been found recently.

Do you remember where you bought yours?

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 30, 2011
    All over the place
    If I'm going to do that I think it would be safer to put it in something fireproof and put it outside. My back porch has a cement floor, as well as my basement, but I would rather not have any fire inside the house.

So instead of actually using it, I should take off the atty, and secure it and check it tomorrow?

I realized after I said that, a cement floor could be in a house, i.e, no bueno. I was thinking garage.

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Also, just curious because I also use mechs: what happens in a mech if a battery just suddenly dies? Obviously its not going to shut off like my regulated mod did. I realize I'll notice I'm getting next to no vapor and flavor, but could it vent on me when I fire the mod?

Probably not as the voltage would be too low to draw enough current to heat the battery. But, you brought up something interesting...venting. If the battery vented at some time earlier that could cause its voltage to plummet later. I've had batteries vent so gently during testing that I didn't even notice until I removed them from the testing jig and felt some wet on the battery.

But it takes a lot to vent a 25R. Hmmm...unless it was a counterfeit.

Can you smell something solvent-like near the top of the battery?

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    I think there has been three of these sudden-death events reported in the past couple of weeks. IIRC, two of them were 25R's (don't remember what the third was). I'm wondering if there are some fake 25's floating around? At least one has been found recently.

I think I've bought all my Samsungs from Illumn, but its possible I bought a batch from LighteningVape as well. I know I've also bought batteries from RTD, but I think those were all AW and Efest.

Reactions: Mooch

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I think I've bought all my Samsungs from Illumn, but its possible I bought a batch from LighteningVape as well. I know I've also bought batteries from RTD, but I think those were all AW and Efest.

Not sure of LightningVapes reputation for batteries but the others sure are reliable sources. The mystery deepens. :)

snork

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 30, 2011
    CO

The third was my AW 2200 purchased from RTD. No known cause, no harm done. Just went dead.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    @Mooch have you tested the 18490 AWs? I've been using those in a Poldiac mech with about a 0.6 ohm build. AW lists them as 18A, but that could be inflated.

Not yet. Hope to someday but it's going to be a while. The donated batteries have all been tested and I just don't have the funds to buy all the batteries that still need to be tested. :-(

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread