Opinions on DIY Mod Building?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Ive been interested in building my own mod for a while now, and will be soon ordering some parts to get started with it, but wanted to know everyones thoughts on the subject?
I'm a little bit handy. I could finish a mod if I wanted to. My conclusion is it isn't worth the effort. My favorite mod is the Pico because it's small, runs temp control and costs $24 delivered. Making a better version of that would be challenging. If what you want is a big unregulated brick may be that's not so hard. If I could buy a Pico like device in kit form with everything needed and the work was in hand finishing and a quality build and took a few evenings to finish, well may be but the kit would cost a lot more than $24.

Reactions: Izan

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Making your own mod is more of a hobby than a viable option. I have made many of my own mods & they end up costing more than a store bought mod. All thou I have the knowledge that the proper gauge of wire was used & the construction is solid with no corners cut.
A lot of people buy hammond box's & cut their own holes, I think those mods look like bricks & would never make some thing like that.

You can find kits at a lot of sites that save you looking all over for parts & on shipping costs.
I like 3D printed mods, if you surf around at Shapeways there are a lot of nice stylish mod enclosures that can be used to make a mod that looks store bought. With a nice Varathane Finnish they become stain resistant & improve the longevity of the colour.

Quentintraceur

Feb 7, 2017
you see im thinking of building something a little unheard of, using quad 18650s in paralell, 4 fuses, a MOSFET, shutoff switch, custom LED, and potentially VW control. altogether i just want to make something very customized to what i want for a mod, which i cant currently find anything similar to on the market. i also build my own coils, so i guess you could say i like the customizability of it all. and personally i think all the components prices together are worth having a vape that is completely custom. ive even thought of making my own custom housing/ body to make it that much better. definitely something fun i would like to try out

Reactions: SteveS45
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread