Orbtronic SX30 30A 2100mAh Flat-Top 18650 Bench Test Results...just a 20A cell

Discussion in 'Batteries and Chargers' started by Mooch, Jul 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mooch

Mooch Electron Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Tested at 10A-30A constant current. Cells were graciously donated for testing by someone who prefers to remain anonymous. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Dropbox - orbtronic sx30 flat-top 30a 2100mah 18650 wrap.jpeg

Dropbox - orbtronic sx30 flat-top 30a 2100mah 18650 can.jpeg

Dropbox - orbtronic sx30 flat-top 30a 2100mah 18650 top.jpeg

Dropbox - orbtronic sx30 flat-top 30a 2100mah 18650 bottom.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This is a 20A continuous discharge current (CDR) cell that is damaged when discharged at Orbtronic's rating of 30A.

Test Results
    Dropbox - orbtronic sx30 flat-top 30a 2100mah 18650 constant-current tests.bmp

Comments
    • This is the flat-top version of the button-top SX30 I tested earlier.
    • At 20A the cell had a moderate maximum temperature of 77°C.
    • At 30A the cell reached a max temperature of 100°C, my safety limit. This is way over the temperature any cell should ever be operated at. This is clearly not a 30A cell.
    • After just five additional cycles at 30A there was visible "voltage sag" in the discharge curve and a loss in capacity indicating that damage was being done. A second 10A discharge also shows the loss of capacity and voltage sag that resulted from that damage.
    • This flat-top version of the SX30 cell had slightly higher voltages and slightly longer runtimes than the button-top version, but not by much. I was pleasantly surprised though as I thought the extra resistance from the added-on button-top (through the four spot-welded points) would result in a larger voltage drop. It didn't, the two versions are close enough in performance to not worry. It's only a so-so 20A cell though.
    • Even at 25A, in my opinion, there will be a short cycle life for this cell. The maximum temperature of 89°C is quite high for a cell.
    • Due to the moderate max temperature I think you will get decent cycle life from this cell at 20A.

2. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I had a look at your charts Mooch and it definitely looks like it's simply not a VTC4.

Another myth shattered :thumb:

Baditude and Mooch like this.
  3. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Thanks for bringing that up!
    I had forgotten that was the prevailing guess at what they're rewrapping.

Ryedan likes this.
  4. Cullin Kin

Cullin Kin Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 28, 2014
    The 3Oh!3, Colorado
    I sent him some of the XTAR VTC4 button tops and they performed terribly! Looking to see some Flat Top tests to compare.

@Mooch Once again some very valuable contributions made to this forum. Thank you for your service!

Ryedan and Mooch like this.
  5. Mooch

Supporting member
    May 13, 2015
    Absolutely....compare the tops...

VTC4
    image.jpg

SX30
    image.jpg

Ryedan likes this.
  6. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, it's obvious they're not the same cell Mooch. Going to stick to buying manufacture branded batts. It's been working for me so far and I don't see any reason to change my MO :)

Mooch likes this.
  7. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.