Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
Ok Sal got back to me

I sent him the following since he asked if i new AW where it was made etc.

Bishopheals

The AW is merely a company that buys high grade sells and wraps it with there logo. usually they buy premium panasonic cells.

As for the GGTS PV we dont need a reverse polarity protection because GG are mechanical devices. As for the short protection, we use the fuse, that is a very thin spring that melts if current goes more than 15 amperes

Sal

There is a good reason why I asked about AW. You are publicly posting your videos so it is very good to be armed with correct info.

AW = Andrew Wong - Chinese guy who is selling his AW batteries.

"IMR" AW batteries that you (and many others) are using are coming from Chinese manufacturer, and NOT from Panasonic.
Panasonic never made IMR cells that AW is selling under AW name.

There is another information that is not correct. AW is getting high grade cells from Panasonic. Panasonic is one huge company, and they do not have low, and high grade cells. Only cells that passed all required tests are going out. Japanese do not play games when it comes to quality control.

About safety:

I wouldn't even consider comparing IMR AW (unknown manufacturer, and specs.) to Panasonic made cells.
What is important for vapers is:
"Safe chemistry" is not the same as safe battery cell. I've seen so many dangerous advices like this is "safe chemistry cell - and you are 100% safe".
Once pure IMR cell gets shorted you better watch out. It will release tremendous amount of energy in form of an extreme heat.

There is no such a thing like 100% safe bare battery cell- it doesn't exist, yet.
What I would avoid to use in PV is regular Li-Co cell.
Brand new cells from Panasonic / CGR, or the newest NCR series are excellent products , and I am not aware of any incident involving these cells.

There is probably very good reason why Panasonic cell is used in Tesla el. sport cars, and many other commercially available products.

This all applies only to bare (unprotected) cells. Protected battery is different story.

Basics everybody should follow no matter what type of chemistry battery is:

Do not over-discharge (applies only to unprotected /bare/ cells).
Never short (connect) positive, and negative battery contacts.
Use only high quality Li-ion battery chargers.
Do not expose to heat.
Do not over-charge (applies only to unprotected /bare/ cells)
Do not charge unattended.
Do not store fully charged for extended period of time.
Store in cold and dry place at around 3.7V (storage charge).
Never try to charge/discharge li-ion batteries with chargers that are not made for Li-ion batteries.
Never try to open, or modify Li-ion battery.
My favorite: Do not keep high power batteries loose in your pocket, or purse (with other metal objects). Short will happen eventually.

I apologize for the late reply - we are "hammered" with new orders.

Regards

Sal

So far i have to say from me using them and now I'm on my 4th recharge cycle I'm getting more of a punch in performance. Imeo I'm going to send you a pair of these its as far as AW is concern there is no question these are better. as for MNKE I still need to do my .4 ohms dual coil and test it and see how well they perform against MNKE.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
Sal seems a serious person Bish and I like that you talked to him so we can have a serious report from a person that knows well this stuff.

If you want to send me those batteries, please do it. I will give one to a friend of mine and we will both check them

Last edited:

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
Just a heads up I im on my 6th cycle recharge and these batteries are working out great. IMEO I'm going to send you two new batteries. I want to see if Sal can send them to you. If not Ill send you a new set. I asked Sal to register on ECF forum so the rest of the folks can get to know him and for anyone to ask any questions.

So far i have to say through out all my tests. these batteries you can tell a difference because you get more volts on load compared to my MNKE and AW.

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
I gave a huge talk about it last night on Vapetv. Heres the 2nd part video I placed on Youtube.

AVG2012 I believe you can use the flat head version as well. http://www.orbtronic.com/batteries-...i-ion-rechargeable-battery-panasonic-flat-top

I will need to double check with Sal but i think its the same only difference its flat head vs button head.

I took some time testing out these batteries. In video I'll show how they perform in extreme vaping conditions. I use them for certain builds under .7 ohms. They work flawlessly for my .3 ohms dual mesh coil build. The batteries produce a more powerful vape but it's ideal for the sub 1 ohms category. So if you only vape at .8 ohms and higher then this battery will not be for you since it be too much over kill. For folks vaping fewer than .7 ohms then these will be ideal for you within the correct parameters. As long as you know your amp usage then you will be ok.

Safety first.

Last edited:

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
I just got confirmation Email from sal

"Hello Robert,

Results are as expected- in line with our test results.Yes, top button model is out of stock-remember, I told you that we are working with other companies coming from various fields. Fresh stock will be here by the end of this week. Sure, vape vendors are always welcome. Thank you. VapeTV is pretty neat idea.
Hopefully new FDA regulations will not disrupt your hobby. Do not forget you are against Philip Morris ;).
We do have some stock left, keeping them for our "old" customers. VapeBash is a nice place for networking, new ideas, and get together-unfortunately not enough time.

To answer your question about difference between button top and flat top:

Flat top is original cell NCR18650PD that we used to make button top version, and button top Protected (protected is longer and will not fit in most PVs).
We do not recommend using magnets or any type of metal as a substitute for welded button top.

At high currents (high drain), moving metal part between 2 terminals can generate high temp. which can lead to other issues.

In plain English:
If your PV is compatible only with button top, you should use button top battery only.
If your PV is designed for flat top use flat top battery only.
Many devices can use both flat top, and button top.
In that case I would go for button top version (if length is not an issue).

One simple question to PV manufacturer would clear any doubt- whether your PV is button top, or flat top (or both) compatible.

Regards

Sal"

lamarrk

ECF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Huntsville, Alabama (Rocket City), USA
Thanks for the review. I ordered 2 of the NCR18650PD button top a couple of weeks ago (hadn't seen your review at that time). They had a glitch on their website and sent flat tops. They work great in a Vamo, eVic, Bolt, and EA Mod. Not so good in the ProVari. They offered to make it right and I decided to just keep them and get more.

Just ordered a couple more in button top, and also 2 of these: IMR Hybrid 2250mAh Panasonic CGR18650CH 18650 With Button Top High Drain Battery Cell 3.7V Li-Mn-Li-ion.

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the review. I ordered 2 of the NCR18650PD button top a couple of weeks ago (hadn't seen your review at that time). They had a glitch on their website and sent flat tops. They work great in a Vamo, eVic, Bolt, and EA Mod. Not so good in the ProVari. They offered to make it right and I decided to just keep them and get more.

Just ordered a couple more in button top, and also 2 of these: IMR Hybrid 2250mAh Panasonic CGR18650CH 18650 With Button Top High Drain Battery Cell 3.7V Li-Mn-Li-ion.

The only one i use is the black button top as seen in video. I never used the flat ones. As for provari I really don't use that pv much. when I do i use the aw imr batteries. As for these NCR i only use them on GGTS and other mechanical mods at .3-.6 ohms. if i'm at .7 ohms i can use any AW iMR 18650, mnke. Provari don't work well with any flat head battery its on provapes site. Its a shame the website glitched on you, I been dealing with SAL from there be sure to ask for him he is a good guy and answers all my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread