Not open for further replies.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
* Papa_Lazarou ftw

i wasn't sure whether to get this or that Luca Speed which is now available but i think i'll go for the Origen

The Speed is a very good atty. Very reduced air and no afc, but it's made by a respected regulated squonk mod manufacturer. Between the two, I prefer the O-16 :2c:

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
This atty is very solid - engineered every bit as well as it's big brother Origen.

* easy to build if you accept the post hole config (wires enter/exit at a non-orthogonal angle relative to the coil axis). Some thicker wire variants (e.g., MM or tiger) might be an issue to install given the angles.

* reduced chamber resulting in very, very good flavour. Effectively, it's 14 mm performance for flavour with larger atty vapor - quite a nice combo.

* afc gives you a lot of options (although I'm more a fan of the cyclops afc style). Single hole option for those not running duals. Wide open, it's suitable for mid-DL vaping. Closes down nicely for 'pure' MTL'ing.

* runs hot, particularly (not surprisingly) with duals. Clearly, they knew this, given the heat sink that ships with it.

* post grubs can easily fall out when building - the difference between unscrewed enough to clear the post holes and detached is very small. Luckily, my cat found them on the floor the two times I dropped one.

* Works very well with a single coil. Didn't try a center mount, but a .7ohm side mounted 26g coil did everything I could ask of it. I left both afc holes wide open so I could keep more air, and the flavour drop off was not appreciable. I would, however, suggest that the thing really shines with duals.
Perfect, I agree. This "...it's 14 mm performance for flavour with larger atty vapor..." impresses me no end. And have not even tried duals yet.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Just made this tonight.. first dual coil in a while for me. Ya know it's great when it's perfect right off the bat!

29 gauge ka1 wire, 8 wraps around 2.5mm pole on my coilmaster. Comws out to 1.7 ohms ea = .8 ohms total. Using kgd.

Yeah the blue moon jumped in the shot..

Some reason I like the tall drip top on this one. I've been using nothing but short drip tips forever.

2015-11-15 22.34.59.jpg
2015-11-15 22.35.32.jpg

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I tried a longer, smaller bore DT after Papa mentioned going longer on his. Its reasonable to assume that they condense the flavor more because it takes longer to pull the same volume of air through them. I could achieve the same with the short wide bore DT's by just cutting back the AFC's.

Since I build for flavor, and did do my builds with the short wide bore DT's w/both AFC's wide open, I went back to them. The flavor is stellar in them with both AFC's wide open for both single and dual coils. And the extra wide bore DT's work way better for my LDLH's as they allow a lot more vapor in the lungs during the same 10-12 second length of pull. I get clouds of flavor rich vapor that I can almost chew.

I have however been changing my builds over to wrapping on 3mm forms for them instead of the 2.0mm & 2.5mm I started with, and using 26ga Kanthal A1 only so far. With a pulled and rolled KGD wick they hold enough more joose that I get more long hits per squonk.

Can't say much for how long the wimpy 14500 batts last though. Why I have 12 of them for the 3 Mini 1.0's (will probably buy more next order to RTD).

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Anyone heard about the jmk top caps??
Origen 16 Cap

Not sure I understand what they are for? Anyone?

Looks like they are for a different look mainly for those who like domed atty's. Can't see the inside of it, but a bet if they are hollow is they also change the dynamics of the chamber some, would make it a longer so larger chamber. IMO one of the best features of the original cap is the short/fat chamber size that is very efficient. Drawing from long experience with my life long passion for shooting precision long range, I think of their chamber as a close parallel to the short/fat wildcat cartridge cases I made and had many of my firearms chambered for in many different calibers from many different parent cases. They are well known in the shooting sports for being far more efficient, with far better ballistics than their longer cousins. Whether that is a valid comparison would probably take a study in vortex geometry of turbulence in vapor flow in each atty to ascertain how efficiently they handle it. There would be a difference, but whether enough to make much of a difference in vape quality just splitting hairs most likely. Not worth the extra $30 + shipping to me anyway since I don't like the look either. YMMV All of my O-16's will continue to run original caps.

Henry Etta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Well, if it's just for looks, it's totally unnecessary, imo. I like the little fins. And the original top cap is domed on the inside (as much as that tiny cap can be). Curious, though, if it does expand or change the chamber at all, and if it changes the vape. I doubt my palate is sophisticated enough to notice a difference, though, even if it did.

caup

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Cologne, GER
I ordered the O16 due to the ECF recommendations...
It arrived yesterday and I had roughly a day to compare it with my other atomizers.
It is a nice little atty, easy to build, good liquid flow, good vape production.
Taste wise, I rate it on par with the Nuppin, my current favorite.
At least with my standard dual coil build, 28ga kantal, 7 wraps at 1ohm, pure 30/70, DLH.
Major difference seems to be the temperature, the O16 runs definitely warmer/hotter.
Strangely, the temperature doesn't seem to effect KGD, no burned taste yet.
For me, it's definitely a keeper.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I doubt most folks palate is sophisticated enough to notice small difference's either unless they have a sharp edge. The FVT rating thing that is speculative at best, with possible sharp edges from joose intensity, VG/PG ratio's, nic level, vaping style, the build itself, and so on variables.

Just splitting hairs again... but IMO standard builds are just that, standard builds that are the easy/fast way maybe to get an atty on line. I smile when folks ask for best builds for every new atty they get when what works for Peter may not work for Paul. So best builds = first or starting builds only to me to get in the ball park. In my case as a flavor chaser, Ideal builds are specific to which joose they are for because each also has their ideal range window in each different atty. So what is perfect in Nuppin's is not necessarily what would be perfect in O-16's, or say a Chalice III or Manta for example with their different chamber dynamics. Some of my favorite liquids are ran in 2, 3 or even 4 different atty's with different chamber dynamics that may have different builds, and each changes the nuances of each of those liquids favorably. Fairly small differences maybe, but ones I pick up by using a palate cleanser vape between atty/joose combo changes that are in my rotation that day/night. That was a T&E thing for each joose, but luckily some of them have the same windows for my uses.

Currently Nuppin's are favorites too, the resident atty's on most of my 18650 Reos, same as Chalice is on all my baby woods and Mini 2.1's. The O-16's are my favorites on all the Mini 1.0's.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
So I finally took the time fire one of these up this evening. I went with a single 3x30 twisted coil, Z-mounted, 2mm mandrel, 6-1/2 wraps, for roughly 0.65 ohms. I have the two smallest holes pointing obliquely at the coil and unflavored 35/65/15 in the bottle.

All I can say is:

Oh my!

I think I'm gonna need more of these!

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I agree with your, "Oh, my!". After a couple different builds, I went to the other end. I have duels at 29 gauge, 2.5mm mandrel, 9 wraps which measure at 1.2Ohm. The holes are the largest pointed right at the coils. My juice is unflavored 95VG/5DI water and 7mg. It is a fairly easy build thanks to the diagrams from Spydro. This thing is very versatile.

So I finally took the time fire one of these up this evening. I went with a single 3x30 twisted coil, Z-mounted, 2mm mandrel, 6-1/2 wraps, for roughly 0.65 ohms. I have the two smallest holes pointing obliquely at the coil and unflavored 35/65/15 in the bottle.

All I can say is:

Oh my!

I think I'm gonna need more of these!

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I agree with your, "Oh, my!". After a couple different builds, I went to the other end. I have duels at 29 gauge, 2.5mm mandrel, 9 wraps which measure at 1.2Ohm. The holes are the largest pointed right at the coils. My juice is unflavored 95VG/5DI water and 7mg. It is a fairly easy build thanks to the diagrams from Spydro. This thing is very versatile.

Happy to hear you're liking the O-16. Just to keep the record straight though, that picture diagram I've posted of one way to coil it I didn't make, I found it on-line someplace early on when the O-16 was either still on preorder or first available.

I love all my Nuppin's, but they and the 8 Reos they are resident on don't see as much use as the 3 Mini 1.0's running O-16's. So I might have to rethink it, loose some of the Nuppin's and get some more O-16's to take their places, or get some LP Mini 2.1's (all of mine are non LP running Chalice). BTW, I modded a Chalice for more evenly distributed air to a center coil, but it still can't compete with the O-16's AFC for my LSDLH's.

All of my O-16 builds now are 26ga wrapped on 3mm forms at different sub ohm values for the joose they each run. Two run duals, one a single parallel and all with both AFC large intakes wide open. Amazing flavor rich vapor with plenty of air for my LSDLH's. It takes a "supply" of 14500 batts to keep them all going strong since it takes two batts or more to get through a small bottle of joose. But I have the supply and plenty of chargers that always have batts in them 24/7.

Irish Messing

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2014
GA, USA
...Holy crap these things can make some clouds! I thought it might be a little more productive than an RM2 but this is no stealth vape. 29ga, 2.5mm ID, 8 wrap, dual (.98 ohms?). I might try some flavors in this (and may have to find a couple more...).

*EDIT* Ohh, and Merry Christmas to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread