Origen v2 as my first genny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3mhmama

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2015
Los Angeles
If you're using liquid with that high a VG content, you really want to either use a straw wick with #200 mesh or SS cable. high VG doesn't wick that well on most mesh types IME.

I agree with he/she who said 50/50 or even a 60/40. Any higher, and I'm using SS cable.
I just got some 200 and 500 in the mail today. Most stuff I've read says 200 is the way to go with high vg, but I also came across an old ecf post insisting tightly rolled 500 would wick just about anything, so I've got a couple of options to try now. Just not sure when I'll find time this week to rebuild it. Completely buried in work this week. : (

Vaya--what diameter and length cable do you use in your origenny?

Reactions: EddieAdams

Vaya

ECF Veteran
Vaya--what diameter and length cable do you use in your origenny?

I will check on that right now :)
I know off-hand that the cable width is 2mm but I have a sleeve of mesh over the upper third where the wire wraps around it which adds width. Gimme a sec to get out my atty and calipers

3mhmama

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2015
Los Angeles
Thanks Vaya!

I'm still trying to dial in the right build. Not getting as many dry hits, but the flavor is still muted, so I know I'm still not quite getting this right.

I've been trying tighter rolled mesh, but will try a 200 straw wick with a 400 or 500 topper next.

I think I'll order some cable too and see if I can find some success there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
I have just redone my Nextiny with a quite loosely rolled wick of 200 super fine, a lot looser than i usually roll the wick at, and left off the topper of 400 mesh that i usually put on there to see how it is. Used the little rod they give you to roll the wick around, and torched heck out of it, including juice burning a couple of times.

Wanted to try a little lower ohms than usual and ended up with a 0.43 and running it a little low for this at 3.25 volts at the moment, but no dry hits, no flooding and excellent flavor with a new to me juice 70/30 of berry mix with just a hint of menthol on the exhale...lovely! and i don't usually like menthol :?: Think i will gradually build up to around 4 volts and see how it works out. Hopefully it will keep up OK.

Those of you that run a Nextiny, what do you aim for in your builds, and how many volts or watts do you run it at?

Gotta say that this Nextiny is really running superbly right now! :thumb: Very happy with this lower ohm build. Could be a while until i change this wick out...but i do like messing around with things like this! If i didn't, i would not be running a genny!:D

Ordered some SS rope this afternoon, 2mm 7 X 7 and hopefully it will be here tomorrow to try out on the V2... could be another good day in my little playroom!

Last edited:

Vaya

ECF Veteran
Those of you that run a Nextiny, what do you aim for in your builds, and how many volts or watts do you run it at?

Since discovering SSV 0.4mm Ti wire, all of my VapeWare Mods devices use it (two NextGens, two Nextiny's [second one just arrived today, along with a custom glass tank I had made for it based on measurements I'd taken of the dimensions]).

When using 0.4mm Ti size specifically, in my gennies, I was taught by he who put me on to its use to shoot for 0.15-0.3 ohms. You need a much lower temp than with Ni200 wire, more in the area of 310F at ~25-30W or 18-25Joules depending on the chip.

No better genny vape out there, IMO :)

Reactions: Taff Evans

Vaya

ECF Veteran
Holy .....
So I purchased an authentic Origenny v2 MKii 6mL from a seller in a private vapor marketplace and it arrived today. I had to leave it behind as I had to go to work, and had an absolutely horrendous shift. Came home, decided to get some genny-building therapy going on and built it up. Dual coils, each 4 wraps of 28g kanthal. Each wick was made of 2mm SS rope which, when wrapped with mesh, each measured 2.6mm in width. And it's just phenomenal. F'ing phenomenal!!

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Good purchase! Been looking for an authentic, used one preferably but not found one yet, they go fast but will keep on looking!
Mine is just a fasttech clone and has no problems at all and i love it, so can see that your authentic one would be superb.
Not tried dual coils in it, so that may be my next project.. gotta fill my retirement days up with something eh!

Oh, and the 2 mm ss rope arrived, but not tried it yet so i think i will copy your build!:cool: and see how it performs for me. What gauge mesh did you use to wrap it with Vaya? I tend to use 200 superfine in my stuff as it wicks superbly. Lastly! and apologies for the questions! did you wrap directly onto the wick or slide it in after building the coils?

Now all i have to do is learn to use ss rope!

Cheers.

Vaya

ECF Veteran
So, first of all @Taff Evans
Origen Genesis V2 MKII 6ml Tank
(fantastic deal considering I got mine second hand for $120 but it did come with the stock cap, JMK top cap and Chris Munn bell cap so some extras in there but still not 'new')

I've been rocking the JMK cap the most lately... love the look!

What gauge mesh did you use to wrap it with Vaya?

I always use #400; it seems to wick well with all types of liquid (rather than #200 better for higher VG or #500 best for high PG) but to be honest the biggest reason is probably because I have a TON of it and am in no real mood to purchase various types. It's always rocked well. Use what works, I say.
In order to get a wick that was appropriately wide for the wick hole, I probably used 4 or 5 revolutions of 400 mesh around the upper 1/3rd of each wick... probably something like 10mm in height by 30mm in length, but I admit I did not actually do any measuring other than ensuring each 'sleeve' of mesh began as the same height and width as each other.

I roll it around the upper third of the piece of rope i've cut to length for a good bit, and then drop a little juice on it and continue to roll it. The juice seems to 'tighten' the mesh around the rope so the sleeve does not slide about as I wrap my coils.

I oxidize the mesh prior to rolling it, btw.

did you wrap directly onto the wick or slide it in after building the coils?

I always wrap it directly unless I'm building micro coils which i only do on a handful of gennies, not including this one.
I take a length of wire, crimp one end of it so it makes a 'V' and "hook" that around the negative screw. Holding the wire in place with one hand onto the deck, I then tighten down the negative screw and clip the excess tail.
Then I'll wrap by rotating the device with the genny on it. after each full wrap, as I make it to the center post, I hold the wire in its place against the wick and loop it up over the positive post and pull back down to the approximate height the coil would have been at had there not been a center post there to obstruct the action. Hope that makes sense ;)

Lastly, I always terminate the coil by 'S' hooking it around the positive screw, aka, do one final 'loop' up over the positive post and back down again, and then immediately wrap it in the opposite direction around the positive screw. I find this the most effective way to A.) decrease the length of wire between the positive post and the wick (minimizing hotspots) and B.) to stabilize the final coil, as it is held in place by its own tension.

I always pulse and work out hot spots on the first coil to my satisfaction before repeating the process with the second coil to minimize the chance of popping two coils at once should something go wrong as I pulse the finished product.

Wrapping coils around rope/mesh is insanely simple due in no small part to the fact that you're wrapping wire around a solid rod as opposed to a pliable roll of thin mesh which can bend, crimp and deform much more easily during the wrap process. The rope also retains the precise width of the coil uniformly from the first wrap to the last, so I rarely end up with minute spaces between the wick and a particular section of the coil wrap that would lead to a concentration of heat in that area.

Here's a shot of mine as it is literally right now (gunked to .... due to high levels of use the past few days, but the idea is still there. it looked a LOT more beautiful a few days ago :p )

Lastly! and apologies for the questions!

Shhh. I love discussing this stuff :)

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Excellent write up mate...thank you, and thanks for the link to the Origen, will see if my meager wallet will stretch to that one.. (It will as long as i can hide it from the wife!,will need two eyes to wrap those coils:sneaky:)

I am going to re-do mine tomorrow, as i have everything here and nothing planned for the day at all, so lots of time to play...:D

My first time using rope, but i expect it to go ok, as i dont usually have any problems with mesh or coils in these gennys, and lots of time to experiment..

Cheer for that, it will be useful and i will let you know how i get on...

Just popped back on to say that you shouldn't have pointed me at that site.. they have some great stuff there...at least 3 or 4 attys and a couple of mods i would really like to get my hands on...:wub:

Last edited:

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
Rebuilt my v2 clone today.. stripped and cleaned it properly, including some sonic tank time. it was pretty grimy!.

Tried to sort out two ss cable wicks and couldn't cut the stuff, even with a hacksaw as it just shredded a bit... so decided to just stick two coils on there and stick some cotton in it.

Built two 3.0mm coils aimed at around 0.5, using 0.25mm,30 guage kanthal, fitted them and stuck some cotton through the coils and 3/4 of the way into the tank. Coils came out at 0.57 ohms and firing it at 4.34 volts or 33watts, its vaping like a champ with a tilt every now and again.

No dry hits, loads of vapor and superb taste...that will do for now..gotta go into town tomorrow so will get some proper wire rope cutters from the local toolshop, and then change out the cotton for ss rope with a wrap of mesh at the top as per. Vaya's post above. Be a good comparison anyway, between how it wicks with cotton and ss rope! I will let you know how it works out.

Taff Evans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2016
You know....at times I really have no idea what i am doing!:confused:

Went into my cigar box guitar building room early this afternoon to sort out some space in there for making my own e-juice.. Started to move some of my fretting tools off my worktop to make some room and realised that in my hand was a very good fret snip.
03TNuCn.jpg
that i use all the time, and is used for cutting the fret-wire to size..Tried it on the ss rope and it went through it like butter!

Now why didn't i think of this excellent wire cutter yesterday when i needed it....I blame old age! Good excuse anyway! Now i can get going on that rope.:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread