Status
Not open for further replies.

krazie_Kid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2010
Long Island
www.vapor4life.com
Well, this bill can be easily googled, and looked up, but here is what it will basically do from what I understand.

It will take out EVERY .com, .org, and .net site out there, and it will cripple the internet by far. Now here is a site you can read a lot of what it is and what it is about.

OpenCongress - 112th Congress - Track bills, votes, senators, and representatives in the U.S. Congress

And this is a little trick to get around SOPA's bill, if you have firefox, which I strongly recommend you get it before january 24th, and download desopa, it is an ad-on for your browser, not a program.

SOPA Haters Are Already Finding Easy Ways To Circumvent Its Censorship - Forbes

second paragraph has Desopa in a link, where you can go to download it. If you need any help activating it just PM me.

I do not want to see anyone be internet-less cause of this dumb idea that the government is trying to pass.

plarkinjr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2011
Texas
www.facebook.com
Its not quite THAT gloomy, but its pretty bad. I work for an ISP and from our perspective, the enforcement is a nightmare. Basically, this law would allow just about any business to force ISPs to block access to suspected piracy sites. That means we have to spend more money to hire ppl, and buy gear to be able to do that. Who's going to pay for it? the consumer. And it also means that the occasional outage you get when something breaks at your ISP will become more frequent and last longer (more complex systems means less stability... a bicycle is far more reliable than a space-shuttle). And worst of all, there's already easy ways to circumvent it by using "anonymizers" and off-shore DNS resolvers.

I'm perplexed that any tech company would be in favor of SOPA, but there are a few and the rest of the tech community is lashing back:
Paul Graham: SOPA Supporting Companies No Longer Allowed At YC Demo Day | TechCrunch

I've written my congressmen and signed petitions against this. I encourage you do the same. Here are a couple more articles:

Dear Congress, It's No Longer OK To Not Know How The Internet Works | Motherboard

SOPA: Why Do We Have To Break The DNS? | Dyn Blog

Thanks for bringing this up!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread