Out of date E-liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helen Tyler

May 21, 2017
I have been vaping for about 4 years and never had problem.

I recently bought some e-liquid from the internet and became very I'll. Vomiting, headaches etc. On closer inspection of the bottle I noticed that it was out of date.
I contacted the co. and they said out of date e-liquid cannot not make you sick etc. and that the product would only lose flavour.

I know nothing about eliquids and what can happen if they are out of date. All I know is that i was sick.

Does anyone here know about the consequences of smoking expired e-liquid?

Reactions: djsvapour

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I have some Nicoticket juice that is well over a year past date that I still vape with no issues. Nicotine tends to oxidize over time which will cause a decrease in nic level and flavors can change, sometimes for the worse and sometimes for the better, but I have never had or heard of any ill effects from vaping expired juice.

I think Bonskibon is correct, that sounds like nic sickness. The nic level could be off, as in higher than labeled or it could be a reaction to the flavoring. Is this a flavor that you've ordered before?

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks for your reply.

No I have never ordered this flavour before it is a new one.

Don't expiry dates work like food expiry dates, as in it could make you sick if consumed.

That's a common misconception with eliquid, as well as food. The dates are actually "best by" dates and are based on when the product will be at is freshest. With eliquid, freshest is not always best.

The quality and desirability of the product can vary more based on how it's kept than how long it's kept for.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Vaping (not smoking) old e-liquid is unlikely to be an issue. It will taste bad before it will make you feel bad. I've vaped stuff 3 years past the date.
I also made up some liquid last week with Nicotine base from 2014 and it tasted foul.
Was it good liquid to start with? The one you are talking about.

Not all liquid is equal and price doesn't dictate quality in either manufacture standards or ingredients.
Actually, one you factor out the niche e-liquid companies (Nicoticket, Cosmic fog, Charlies, Cuttwood, Element, Kilo etc) most 'premium' liquid sold by these greedy 'brand' e-cig companies is just lowest grade flavor and highest grade marketing BS. They should be safe though.... that is one thing the rip-off brands have over, say, an independent vape shop making juice out the back.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
What about when eliquid is manufactured using ' natural flavourings?'. Would it not have the same adverse affect, ie, sickness as it would if you ate bad food.
No, I would not think so as 'natural' can mean loads of different stuff, not necessarily what you are thinking. The companies making these flavors have elaborate filtering systems to synthesize these flavors.

I have to agree that your symptoms do sound more like nic over dose rather than any type of food poisoning.

Is there anything else you may have ingested that could account for your illness? Are you still feeling bad? Hopefully, you stopped using the ejuice until you can figure out just what it is that made you ill.
And as another posted stated, the bottle may have higher nic in it than posted. Hopefully not, but people can make mistakes.

If you want to test the strength of the nic in the ejuice, Wizard Labs has a kit for sale that will do that.

:)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I have been vaping for about 4 years and never had problem.
I recently bought some e-liquid from the internet and became very I'll. Vomiting, headaches etc. On closer inspection of the bottle I noticed that it was out of date.
I contacted the co. and they said out of date e-liquid cannot not make you sick etc. and that the product would only lose flavour.
I know nothing about eliquids and what can happen if they are out of date. All I know is that i was sick.
Does anyone here know about the consequences of smoking expired e-liquid?
Welcome and glad you joined. Sometimes we can't all find what we want on the internet. Like your question.
Might wish to read:
Do E-Liquids Expire? - The Complete Guide to E-Cig Safety

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
food becomes bad due to bacterial processes... as the bacteria reproduce they create toxins that make you ill. If juice would go bad from bacteria, it would most likely be a hazy tint to it due to the bacteria in it. Also the smell would be quite foul since it would be an anerobic type of bacteria... and, Ejuice lacks the protiens required by bacteria to thrive and reproduce. VG and PG have anti bacterial qualities... wont kill them but it does suppress the growth of bacteria...

what could have happened is that the bottle was handled by someone with the flu and you got infected after you handled it...

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
'Use by' dates on eliquid are guesses. An unopened bottle of liquid in a B&M window display may well be unvapeable after a month. A well stored bottle of eliquid may well last several years.
I vape my own RY2 blend and i steep it for around 9-12 months before i vape it....
An educated guess would be that vaping 'off' eliquid would cause you to swear loudly and brush your teeth well before physical symptoms manifested. In other words if it was no good to vape your taste buds would probably know it after a puff or two. Your symptoms sound like nicotine overdose which doesn't fit with out of date liquid. Nicotine decreases in potency with prolonged storage.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
We've found bottles that were at least 5 years old, dark as molasses...

They weren't really "vapable" anymore not because they were disease stricken, but simply because it was a given that the nicotine and flavouring in it has seriously oxidized, they tasted horrible, but then, being so old, they were far from the more refined stuff that we have today. (and that nic level for them was way above what we now use, 24mg as opposed to the 3mg now)

But of course, they were "tested" and aside gagging those that dared partake in the adventure, no one was sick after.

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
Definitely check the nicotine level, but first contact the supplier and notify them of the situation. I'd imagine they would have you dispose of it safely and send you a new bottle.

Logic and common sense rule vaping like they do many things. If it looks or smells foul, don't vape it. If something seems off trust your instinct. I've been vaping for almost a decade and had only one instance where I was sent a juice with much higher nicotine than I ordered. It smelled pungent and gave me an immediate head rush followed by queezy feeling, I contacted the vendor and immediately was sent a replacement. It caused no harm but why would I use something that wasn't right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread