Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
From the manual... Much better than I could explain it.

ProVari 3 Feature Details

● The ProVari 3 voltage can be adjusted from 2.9 - 6.0 in 0.1 volt increments. Just like the original ProVari, the voltage is user selectable and the correct setting is based on the user’s preference.

● The ProVari 3 wattage can be adjusted from 3 – 20 * in 0.2 watt increments. This new feature allows the user to select their power level in wattage. Wattage is another way to adjust the energy going into the atomizer. For example: adjustable voltage is like a manual transmission in a car, where you have to shift gears manually as you drive. Wattage is like an automatic transmission, and it shifts for you as the resistance of your atomizer changes. So, as your atomizer resistance changes, the ProVari 3 will automatically adjust the power to keep the wattage the same. The ProVari 3 constantly monitors the resistance and adjusts the wattage to keep it where you set it. Regardless, if you install a low or high resistance atomizer on the ProVari 3, it will automatically adjust the power to keep it at your preferred wattage setting.

● HotShot ® Boost mode allows you to get more vapor with a short power boost with each puff. This setting is adjustable allowing you to dial-in your favorite boost time setting. Boost mode is useful for those who want to heat up the atomizer faster. With Boost mode turned on, the atomizer will get a boost of power for a short period of time and then the power will drop down to your set power. For example, if you set your wattage to 9 watts and then turn on the boost mode to 1, by pressing the button, the device will boost the power for the first .25 seconds and then it will drop it down to 9 watts. Increasing the boost level to 2, 3, 4 or 5 will increase the amount of time the device boosts the power before it drops down to your selected 9 watts. Note that turning the ProVari up to max wattage and boosting up to 5 will not exceed the maximum output of the unit which is up to 20 watts.
Boost 1 - .25 seconds
Boost 2 – .50 seconds
Boost 3 – .75 seconds
Boost 4 – 1.00 seconds
Boost 5 – 1.25 seconds

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
It works in either volts or watts.

I have been using volts, as I like to compare to my other v2.5 Provi.

Haven't really played with watts yet. Well, a lil.

Jim
I'm sure you'll give watts a chance. I do like all the options the P3 has to offer. The memory setting is great for changing tanks. I see one on my Christmas list.

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
Say you like to vape at a particular power level but you use alot of different toppers with different ohm coils.

Variable wattage will allow you to set your device to that particular power level that you like, and then it will adjust the voltage to maintain that power level even if the resistance of your coil changes.

You set it and forget it and get the same vape every time in theory.

Last edited:

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Say you like to vape at a particular power level but you use alot of different toppers with different ohm coils.

Variable wattage will allow you to set your device to that particular power level that you like, and then it will adjust the voltage to maintain that power level even if the resistance of your coil changes.

Its still amazing to me that people think they need wattage to regulate different toppers with different resistances.

The answer is simple.

Stop making things so complicated for yourself :)

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...

The variable is still the e-liquid. Most of my juices taste different at different power levels, so SubZero at 3.9 volts with a 2 ohm coil may be ideal for me, but Twas Brillig may be ideal for me at 3.7 volts with a 2 ohm coil...

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
I maintain that different resistance coils are discernible.

It's not a 1:1 relationship IMO.

A 3ohm coil and a 1.5ohm coil at the corresponding voltages that yield an equivalent power level do not vape the same.

That's why I wrote in theory.

Theory and practice do not match up in this case in my experience.

YMMV.

Last edited:

Jake67

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Us
I have been using my P3 in wattage mode for about 10 days. I like the feature because as the resistance of the coil changes there is no need to adjust the voltage. The vape stays consistent. On my 2.5s I have to adjust the voltage up as the resistance rises.
I have noticed that the battery life is shorter. I'm going to change back to voltage on the P3 and see if I find any difference.

Sent from my iPhone

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
I have been using my P3 in wattage mode for about 10 days. I like the feature because as the resistance of the coil changes there is no need to adjust the voltage. The vape stays consistent. On my 2.5s I have to adjust the voltage up as the resistance rises.
I have noticed that the battery life is shorter. I'm going to change back to voltage on the P3 and see if I find any difference.

Sent from my iPhone

Yesterday, after several members gave me an education on the advantages of using watts over volts, I made the switch. It's now been 24 hours since I've been on watts and I must admit it is even more terrific, which I didn't was possible as I thought the P3 on volts was already great!!

Jake67

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Us
Yesterday, after several members gave me an education on the advantages of using watts over volts, I made the switch. It's now been 24 hours since I've been on watts and I must admit it is even more terrific, which I didn't was possible as I thought the P3 on volts was already great!!

It is a great unit. I will admit that I still use my 2.5s as well. They all work well. Can't beat a Provari.
Looking forward to the release of the new tank.

Sent from my iPhone

ProV P3T3

Sep 3, 2014
707 Nor Cal
Curious to know if former 2 and 2.5 Provari owners who now own the P3 are still using volts or using watts. Also explain the boost feature to someone who doesn't understand it. Thanks

Boost is great. Just started using it recently after I got familiar with P3.......should have turned it on long ago! That extra kick is just what I needed for a great VAPE.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
Everything I own (including the P3) that has wattage is set to watts. What wattage I chose was based on what voltage I had been using previously for that topper (ohm's law calculator). The only real difference is when you had a 1.2Ω coil on a 2.5 the max voltage you could use was 3.8-4v (or about 13w). On my P3 I have that same coils set at about 15w. Which you use just depends on your preferences.

Last edited:

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State

And what topper are you using and what is the coils ohms? Now the big question what have you set the wattage at? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread