P4U/Green Leaf IPV2 50W - Product Spec, Performance, Usage & Issues Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
I have heard it is bad for non aluminium connections... not sure if its true but I remember reading about it.
I read some stuff too. Something about it being useless unless it is on aluminum to aluminum connection. This person quoted the CSR at ideal which is not an engineer. It clearly states for Al to Al connections or Al to Cu connections. It contains about 20% zinc dust which aids in conductivity in general. Polybutene which essentially seals the connection. And silicon dust which is a semiconductor. I am not a materials engineer so I can not speak as to how the various materials will react over time but it appears that there is indeed some conductivity that solved my unreliable connection issues.

Sometimes I like to put on my "dumb" hat and just try things. If it works "well whatdyaknow!" After further research it appears that it I am not the first on to use this stuff on vape gear. There is proof in the results and it may be time to put on the "smart" and figure out why...

Last edited:

ZeroOhm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
UK
Hello fellow IPV2 users! I have had mine since August and have recently been having issues with the resistance reading anywhere between normal at 1.4 ohms to 6+ ohms. Even set at 10W a 6 ohm load maxes out the IPV2 voltage setting and sends 8+ volts into my Kayfun which is not good. I decided that I have trashed too much juice due to fried builds so I decided to investigate the issue. What I did was opened up the IPV and did some simple resistance checks on the center pin and the outer ring of the 510. The center pin even though slightly wobbly never varied. The outer band on the other hand seemed to be hit or miss depending on how hard I pressed my leads against the band. I thought that it was a faulty connection between the case which is the main ground and the 510 connector since there isn't a dedicated lead to the outer portion. What I initially tried to do was solder the shell to the box which turned out to be futile as the heat required to melt the solder was getting beyond dangerous and I didn't want to risk melting the board with a torch. I figured that the 510 is threaded or pressed in maybe that isn't the problem. I then thought that there was some crud or corrosion on the threads of the Kayfun and or the 510 outer piece. What I did was gave the 510 a good bath in 91% rubbing alcohol and let it dry. Then I applied some Anti-Oxidant Joint compound that I used on house wiring (mains to the pole to the meter box). I removed the center pin completely and then added just a tiny dab to it and then screwed it all the way back in. Then I took a toothpick and lightly applied some to the Kayfun and screwed it in as far as it would go (flush with the mod). I noticed that when I put one lead of the meter on the case and the other on the KF the resistance NEVER changed while screwing in like it did earlier. I set the center pin to where it needed to be and checked the resistance on the IPV. Low and behold it was dead on!!!! Did some loosening and tightening and wiggling etc... Dead on 1.4 ohms like it should be and never changed!!!!! I then applied a little compound to the rest of my 510 attys as this stuff seems to be magic. I believe that the problem all along is that either 1. the 510 on the IPV has some corrosion/oxidation on it, or 2. the KF had some corrosion/oxidation on it, or 3. a combo of 1 and 2.

Either way this fixed my issues as I was starting to get super frustrated. It may even save a unnecessary warranty claim for others so it is worth sharing.

Here is the stuff that can be purchased at Home Depot for about $3.00:

IMG_20150105_190455.jpg
$3 for novalox its like 5 times that here!

The US is so so cheap who needs China?!

Not sure how long novalox will last, my fix as mine has been broken after 3 days of owning one (Aug 2014) :( I drilled a case hole and tapped it used a M3 stainless steel grub screw into the 510 GND. On mine I flushed fitted a Varitube and drilled slightly into the 510 this fix works perfectly and is also good for all 510s fitted this way ie Cana case.

sgenn99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
My little blue screwdriver broke, and I am looking for a replacement or a hex/Allen key to replace it. Conversely, has anyone replaced the pita stock screws with a Phillips screws? Seems like it would be a bit easier if that could happen. I have misplaced my special Ipv screwdriver more times then I can count, and the plastic part broke on mine. I've wrapped it in duct tape, and now it looks like a tiny shiv lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Who all has the IPV still running?

I'm surprised mine is still rocking. It hasn't had a break since receiving my replacement for the preorder version, almost about a month after the preorder version got here.

The preorder version lasted a couple months after receiving my replacement, but it wasn't bound to perfection forever with my wife in control of it.:)

sgenn99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Mines still kicking. Only issue I have is that occasionally, it will power itself off, and I broke the damn special screwdriver for the hex/torx screws. I'm too lazy to take it to a hardware store and figure out what size to replace with, but can't believe nobody sells replacement little blue screwdriver for the v2

vaperXant

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2014
New Mexico
Who all has the IPV still running?

I'm surprised mine is still rocking. It hasn't had a break since receiving my replacement for the preorder version, almost about a month after the preorder version got here.

The preorder version lasted a couple months after receiving my replacement, but it wasn't bound to perfection forever with my wife in control of it.:)
I have two still running perfect

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
Mine is still kicking. Almost a year for me with exclusive use.. Same vtc4 battery too. It is about to be replaced by an evic vt. When I get the evic in I will still run my kanthal buils on the ipv2. Only issues I had is the 510 being a little flaky with the ohms reading. A little noalox fixed that right up. Also the loose spring causing the mod to reset when I put it down. I stretched the spring out and that solved the resetting issues. Now I have to slam it on the table fornit to reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread