PA House set to vote on $.05/ml e-liquid tax bill today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
HB 2342 has been scheduled for a vote in the PA House floor vote today (to change PA's disastrous 40% vapor tax to a $.05/ml tax on nicotine e-liquid) after being approved by the House Finance Cmte several weeks ago.
PA General Assembly
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/SC/HC/0/RC/CAL.PDF?r=1476801002967

To watch PA House session live, go to:
House Session Live

If you live in PA, please contact your PA State Representative NOW (at Harrisburg office) urging him/her to vote for HR 2342, sponsored by Rep. Jeff Wheeland.
Bill Information - House Bill 2342; Regular Session 2015-2016

Contact information for PA Representatives is at:
Members of the House
Find Your Legislator

Smokefree Pennsylvania sent the following letter to members of the PA House of Representatives.

Via Fax October 17, 2016

The Honorable Mike Turzai
Pennsylvania House Speaker
Harrisburg, PA 17120

RE: Change vapor tax to improve public health, reduce state spending, save businesses and jobs

Dear Representative Turzai:

Please support HB 2342 introduced by Rep. Jeff Wheeland to change the disastrous 40% tax on lifesaving vapor (i.e. e-cigarette) products to a $.05/ml tax on nicotine containing liquid in vapor products.

As we previously warned you, the 40% tax on vapor products (approved by the PA General Assembly as part of the budget) has already caused more than 60 vape shops in PA to go out of business, reducing PA income and sales tax revenue (instead of generating vapor tax revenue).

Vapor products have already helped more than 100,000 cigarette smokers in PA quit smoking, including thousands of Medicaid recipients, saving PA and US taxpayers tens of millions of dollars that would otherwise be spent treating cigarette diseases. A recent study found that PA Medicaid expenditures for treating cigarette diseases were $2.24 Billion in 2012, and that 70% of PA’s 2.44 million Medicaid enrollees were cigarette smokers.
http://www.statebudgetsolutions.org...oised-to-save-medicaid-billions#ixzz3W1JxiUUP

In sharp contrast to selfish crony capitalist claims made by groups that lobbied for the 40% vapor tax (i.e. Big Pharma funded CTFK, ACS, AHA, ALA, etc.) to protect nicotine gum and patch markets from market competition, the scientific and empirical evidence has consistently found vapor products are >95% less harmful than cigarettes, have helped millions of smokers quit smoking and/or sharply reduce cigarette consumption, have not addicted nonsmoking teens, and pose no risks no nonusers.

The $.05/ml tax on nicotine e-liquid in HB 2342 will generate a similar level of PA vapor tax revenue (that the PA Dept of Revenue estimated would be generated by the 40% vapor tax) without putting vapor companies in PA out of business, without reducing jobs, and without reducing PA income and sales tax revenue.

Once again, please support HB 2342.

Sincerely,

Bill Godshall
Executive Director

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
According to the link the bill has been "removed from the table". Sounds like they won't be voting on it?
In the US, when a bill is "tabled", that means consideration has been postponed. To remove it from the table means it is now being considered. This usage is the opposite of what it is in much of the rest of the world.

LaraC

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2013
Tennessee
House Session Live
"The House will reconvene on Mon. Oct 24, 2016 at 1:00PM"

I watched several days of it earlier in the week. Didn't hear any mention of HB 2342 come up, but I wasn't glued to the sessions.

There's a link on that page to "House Calendar."
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/SC/HC/0/RC/CAL.PDF?r=1476978573525

At the top of page 3 of the calendar there is this:
PA-calendar.jpg

The previous sessions I watched did not seem to be going through the bills in any particular order. I don't think HB 2342 has been dealt with yet. At least it still appears on the schedule.

Maybe Monday.

Or not. :confused:

Last edited:

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
Lara, I got to the live view this morning (At 11:30 when they were supposed to convene) just as they were saying they'd break until Monday, so duuno if anything was really voted on today. Found the same thing you did on the calendar and went to "votes" Bill Information (History) - House Bill 2342; Regular Session 2015-2016 and it said there were no floor votes on the matter.
:(
Guess they'll get to it when they get to it, after their all important break. :grr:

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
Presumably it is coming up for a vote because the sponsors believe it has a good chance of passing. Arguments were used to get support of the 40% tax. I wonder what the real reason is for repealing it in favor of the 5% tax. There must be some discussion points circulating among the legislators.
I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist but it makes sense to me that the plan all along was to make vapers feel lucky to be paying an extra 5¢ per mil for no good reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenna

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist but it makes sense to me that the plan all along was to make vapers feel lucky to be paying an extra 5¢ per mil for no good reason.
Or may be the legislators noticed they would get the blame for closing all the vape shops so why not change the law and let the FDA take the blame down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread