Pain in throat and coughing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
is the vape your getting very rough tasting or does it have a pleasurable taste and not to hot. Sounds like you may be using a cart and the juice isn't getting to your Atty properly if this is the experience your having coughing and a sore throat possibly. You don't say what your set up is, e-cig, Mod, ? what, give us some more info and we can help you out much better but NO, you shouldn't be coughing and getting a sore throat at all. re-post with some of the info on your hardware and set up and even your juice your using

Phil McRotch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2010
Carson, CA
There are several factors that could be causing your sore throat and cough.

1) It could be the nicotine strength you're using. A lot of times a higher nic level can create more throat hit, which can be harsh at times. Plus if you chain vape, the accumulation of all that nicotine hitting your throat can cause a cough.

2) Your juice might have a higher concentration of PG in it and PG creates more TH also. There are a few people that have certain [allergic] reactions to PG, so you might wanna try diluting it with VG, or getting 100% VG juice.

3) The juice flavor you're using can produce the TH and cough as well. Some tobacco flavors tend to be harsher on the throat.

4) The method in which you draw on the e-cig could affect you. If you're taking it straight to the lungs [like weed], that will definitely hit your throat and lungs in a way that would produce harshness to the throat and cause coughing. For that, hit it like you would an analog. Hold the vapor into your mouth, then inhale.

5) Your hydration may need to be increased. Vaping dehydrates you, so increase your water intake to make sure your throat isn't constantly dry, which will also induce coughing.

Those are my opinions. Maybe others can provide more detailed suggestions for you.

WolfMemnoch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2011
Florida
The above posters have pretty much covered what was on my mind. For the sore throat try honey in a warm/hot drink like milk or tea. Remember to keep plenty hydrated. My significant also had a sore throat when he first tried vaping, coughing not so much. There might be more going on, we would just need to know how you've been going about it.

hpjrt

Jan 29, 2011
S.W. Ontario
I had a similar experience. Bear in mind that I've only been vaping since Monday ... but I found that the 2.4 cartridges seemed to make me cough ... and my throat felt a bit raw.

Part of it was the way I was vaping. I think there's a bit of a "learning curve" on how to effectively vape as opposed to smoking a cigarette. However, I also decided that the nicotine level was probably too high for me. I have since acquired juice that is 1.6 strength and I don't have nearly the problems.

As for the coughing, I really do think that part of it is completely divorced from the actual vaping. I do think that it's partly the natural process one experiences after being off analogues for a day or so ... and part is the residual effects of a cold that just refuses to go away ... and related to stuffy sinuses.

Good luck!

Mary

overit

Dec 14, 2010
Maine
As you can see from everyone's responses, there can be many reasons. I had a problem when I started (which was only in Dec. 2010) because the vape was very harsh, burned my throat, and made be cough. I lowered the nic level, but that only made me crave cigarettes. The longer I vaped the easier it got. I'm guessing that I finally cleared enough tar from my lungs to become a better vaper. I also realized I don't like "throat hit." It feels like pepper burning my throat and mouth, and there are some e-juices I have tried that I swear I can taste the pepper (goes without saying that I don't like black or white pepper). I found that Vapor Renu sells a "smooth" formula e-liquid (flavored or DIY) that has a reduced TH. Some of the flavors I mix with it (like tobacco or citrus) still give me throat a little sting, but nothing bad. I vape at 24 mg.

As for your second question, tobacco flavors are still my least favorite. I don't think I ever liked the taste of analogs, I just needed the nicotine.

ozeevapr

Feb 3, 2011
Australia
Hi CSID,

When I first started vapeing, I got a sore throat and sneezed like crazy. Mainly because I was using PG based liquids, I switched over to VG 100% and have not had a dry sore throat or sneezing since.

PG is known to be a dehydrate.

VG is known to moisturize.

Hope this helps you. Also do not vape like crazy before bedtime. You will have problem sleeping.

texasgranny

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Texas
I think you will probably be ok in a day or two, your probably just going thru some normal
adjustment time to vaping. Don't inhale into the throat for a day or two, just the mouth,
and then slowly increase into the throat area. By day 3, it should improve, if not, possibily
other soulutions mentioned should be considered.

As far as juice goes....
It is something that you will have to personally explore to find the right juice and the
right vendor to get it from. Buy from several vendors (they are all different juice tastes)
and buy small bottles for trial. Some you will like, some you love and some you will
probably hate. It is just part of vaping to find the "perfect" juice.
Unfortunately, no one here can tell you what YOU will like. It is something that you
will have to taste and experience as a individual.
Just a little learning curve at first, but keep up the good work, come back here alot and
read, read and read some more. The more you learn, the better your overall vaping
experience will be.
We are behind you every step of the way!

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Did you clean the primer out of the atty? That stuff is harsh and nasty tasting to vape.

And which kind of juice? If what you got is Titan fluid then it is Chinese and most likely 100% PG which lets through the most harshness of the nicotine
T.W Titan Fluid / E Cigarette and E Liquid from Totally Wicked

Try some 70pg/30vg juice from elsewhere nd if that is still too harsh try 50/50. And if it still bothers you then you may be one actually allergic or overly sensitive to PG and have to use VG.

Some tobacco ejuices do have peppery tastes in them for more throat sensation - that's why I suggest trying a different juice vendor. FreedomSmokeUSA has a wide range of PG/VG ratios available on most of their tobacco and many of their other ejuices.

(if anyone saw all of my typos, I am apparently a lolcat)

Last edited:

dekalbave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA, United States
Hey, just don't give up please. I almost quit after the first day for the same reasons as you. Then I just started drawing a little bit into my mouth, and blowing it out. Then drawing into my mouth, just a little bit, and then inhaling a little bit. As someone here pointed out to me, it's kind of like learning to smoke all over again (except it isn't smoke). Take the suggestions people give you to heart, and keep posting your progress. The collective knowledge here can definitely help you a great deal. They helped me - one month vaping today....

AnalogsNoMore

Feb 3, 2011
Oregon
I had the same reaction, like I was getting a cold with a raspy raw sore throat. I not to sure if it was due to being new at vaping and just needed to get used to it, or because I was doing it too much and too often. It was like a new toy for me and I thought it was neat. For me the sore throat lasted for awhile, 2-3 weeks. By then I had bought some custom blend pg/vg from vapor renew, smooth th, and it went away. I've been using their juice ever since for about a year now and I love it. Good selection of flavors, larger bottles and good price. Don't give up, give it some time and maybe order some different juice.

gypsymage777

Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
Texas
I have been smoking for 34 years, and my throat is quite sensitive so some time back I learned to draw into my mouth before inhaling to cool the smoke. It seems with vaping, it is even worst, so I am doubly sure to not inhale during the draw. My technique is to draw in the mouth, open up my esophagus just enough to blow through my nose to get a good primer puff going, then without hesitating, draw again, open esophagus and gently inhale. I also learned I am not necessarily allergic to PG, but I am sensitive to it, so I am strictly VG now. A little alcohol to dilute it also helps cut down the harshness (pure grain alcohol or mild vodka) and makes that thick VG easier to work with.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
My first juice was 100% PG and I also got a sore tongue and throat and I had a weaker ecig that gives cool not-huge drags. Some people actually get sore lungs too.

My tongue would feel like after drinking a too-hot beverage - numb and sore. But no problems at all since getting 70pg/30vg juices.

One other thing - if you have watched videos of people taking what appear to be huge long hits and getting huge plumes of vapor, don't even try that until you have some VG in your juice. I think some of them must be using 100% VG. PG lets through TH and flavor best, VG dulls TH and makes more visible vapor. My own drags are often like - I press the button. 1/2-1 second later I start a 3 second drag and let up the button after 2 seconds. A big drag for me is 4 seconds, letting up the button after 3.

Get some smoother juice - try various flavors, and something with at least 30% VG. Backwoods Brew makes some really nice tobaccos that are often complex and aren't too intense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread