Panasonic NCR18650PF 10A 2680mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...a great battery, beats MH1 and MJ1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Tested at 5A-15A constant current. This cell was purchased by a friend from IMRBatteries and donated for testing. To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The conclusions and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have selected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Bottom Line
    This is a great 10A continuous discharge current (CDR) high capacity cell. At 15A its temperature is close to my safety limit of 100°C. In my opinion you should not run it above 10A.

Test Results
    image.jpg

Comments
    • At 10A the discharge reached over 2600mAh. This is great capacity for a 2680mAh-rated cell running at its CDR.
    • At 10A down to 3.2V this cell beats both the MH1 and MJ1. Of the 10A high capacity batteries I've tested, only the NCR18650GA 3300mAh beats it.
    • At 10A the cell reached 65°C, a low temperature for a 10A cell being run at its CDR.
    • At 15A the cell had a high maximum temperature of 92°C. This is too high to set 15A as the CDR.
    • An additional five cycles at 10A showed no signs of damage.
    • I am setting a CDR of 10A for this cell. It runs too hot to set it at 15A but the temperature is low at 10A. I think you will get very good cycle life at 10A due to the low temperature at that current level. In my opinion you should not run this cell at above 10A.
    • To see how other batteries have tested and how hard you can safely push any of the batteries I have tested, check out the links in my signature.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    The PF is supposed to be a 2900 mAh battery

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

The ratings on this one get pretty confusing. I chose the Rated Capacity to match the way the capacities for other cells were spec'd. The Nominal Capacity is usually higher, close to 2900mAh in this case, but the Rated Capacity is specified as the minimum the cell is guaranteed to have so I use the Rated Capacity for all the cells I test.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Sellers tend to not always be 100% correct in their claims. I've only ever seen this marketed as a 2900 mAh battery, but I certainly trust your tests more. But they are definitely nice batteries in any case.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Agreed!
    I had to do a bit more searching around than usual to find the specs for this one as I saw at least three different ratings online. If it's available for less than the NCR18650GA (I haven't priced them) it would be a great lower cost, but still high capacity, cell for up to 10A.

EBates

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 4, 2013
    Texas
    I've been using a set of 4 PF's, used in rotation, for over a year now. Note I tootle puff so I am drawing way less than the rated 10A CDR. But they are still going strong. In fact I had assumed them to be trash by now so there are 4 new ones waiting for them to finally die, and waiting, and waiting.....

Thrasher

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    Still have a fistfull of these, some approaching 2 years old and still charging 100%. These are still some of the best running cells I have used.at around .8 in a kayfun on a mech they run a decent amount of time.
    Its not hard to see why panasonic is a world leader in battery tech.

Now if we could somehow pry those aluminum based cells out of panny and tesla's hands we would be set ,,,, who wouldnt want a 2600mah battery that charges in 15 min.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread