Pancake (aka crepe or pannekoen - European version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricksha

Feb 19, 2015
Austin TX
I am on a quest to come up with a pancake / crepe recipe. To clarify what I’m after, the pancake in question is a traditional European or South African pancake (aka pannekoek, aka Belgium/Dutch pannekoeken) which is almost exactly the same as a French crepe. So for all practical purposes think of this as a French crepe. The Belgium/Dutch/SA version is thin, slightly thicker than the French crepe, but thinner than the traditional American pancake. The pancake is made in a traditional 8-inch pan, cooked for 30 seconds on either side and then either “dusted” with cinnamon/sugar and rolled up, or rolled up with a fruit and cream combo filling.

The initial focus will be to duplicate the actual pancake/crêpe flavor and NOT the filling (which is the dead easy part).

Even though there are numerous different recipes folks have used for many generations, the basic recipe that needs to be duplicated in a vapeable juice is as follows:
Pancake batter:
  • Flour
  • Milk
  • Eggs
  • Oil (the original Dutch/Belgium recipe uses butter)
  • Vinegar (The vinegar ensures that the pancakes are not rubbery and the taste should therefore be marginal)

I’ve done a bunch of research on the forums and even though some folks have asked for it, it seems nobody has come up with a recipe for the basic crepe/pancake. What you do however find are hordes of Cinnamon Danish-based creations, fruit-based pancakes or whatever kinda pancake you can imagine, but those recipes all focus on the filling, a fruity, jammy, creamy taste and they just throw some Cake Batter, Cinnamon Danish or a Biscuit against it for the actual pancake.

If anyone on this forum has had any luck with a crepe/pancake recipe, please chime in and let me know your thoughts and/or experiences. I will be posting my progress on this thread and would welcome any contributions or collaboration.

Reactions: ChelsB

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
You sure can't rely on most flavor vendors' Pancake or Waffle lines for this, since they all incorporate some level of maple syrup. Solubarome makes a Crepe flavoring that might work. Inawera Waffle is discontinued, though I think there may still be some leftover stock out there.

Making it from scratch out of other basic essences will be quite a puzzle. Among the potential pieces could be INW Biscuit, TFA Dairy Milk, FA Zeppola, FA Joy. Plain vinegar could be added by the drop if you think it'd be useful.

Ricksha

Feb 19, 2015
Austin TX
Hey @man00ver Yes quite the challenge but worth the effort me thinks. Add to your list Malted Milk, maybe Cake Batter, INW Custard (good eggy taste, not sure how the custard notes will play), Brown Sugar (not sure). A plain doughnut flavor may supplement it as well. I've got all the waffles from CAP, FW and TFA on order today to see if one of them is close to a plain waffle. Pity INW Waffle is off the market. I'll do some research on different molecules as well as this could be a source. I'll whip up my first test batch over the weekend with what I've got in stock.

Ricksha

Feb 19, 2015
Austin TX
I've been mulling over this recipe for a few days and decided to throw something together so there's at least some kind of baseline. Coincidentally I also sent an email to Linda at TFA to ask for guidance. Naturally crickets is all I got. Nonetheless the mission continues. I put the following 2 versions down today:

Crepe/Pancake v1.a
FW Yellow Cake - 2%
FW Dulce de Leche - 1%
CAP Cake Batter - 1%
INW Biscuit - 2%
INW Custard - 2%
TFA Dairy Milk - 1%
ACV - 0.3%
Total flavoring 9.3%

Crepe/Pancake v1.b
FW Yellow Cake - 1%
FW Dulce de Leche - 1%
CAP Cake Batter - 1%
INW Biscuit - 3%
INW Custard - 2%
TFA Dairy Milk - 1%
FA Meringue - 0.5%
ACV - 0.3%
Total flavoring 9.8%

30ml of each was mixed up, subjected to the reciprocator and resting in Steeping Hollow. This is going to be a very rich mixture which will need to be addressed going forward. The INW Custard should compliment the Yellow Cake and Cake Batter to some extent and add an eggy flavor. The buttery, wafer-like, level of goodness from INW Biscuit will hopefully play well in here. In hindsight I think the Yellow cake and Cake Batter is too high. Also the need for Dulce de Leche is questionable. I think I was overcome by the seductive smell in a moment of weakness when I picked the flavors. I've used ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) to good effect in mixes before and it should work towards neutralizing the overall richness and add depth.

I will break it out to sample next weekend. Will update.

Ricksha

Feb 19, 2015
Austin TX
Update on my previous disastrous attempts. Both V1 mixes turned out to be a bust. I remixed a few other alternatives and those were a bust as well. I then proceeded to buy every pancake/waffle from CAP, TFA and FW. Mixed each of them @ 3% and steeped for 2 and 4 weeks, tasting at each interval. Suffice to say I was not impressed by any of them. Only CAP's Glazed Donut and TFA's Pancake shows some level of promise. I also dabbled with other clone recipes and the one that lead me to this next version was a French Quarter recipe and my discovery of FA's Joy (never too old to learn). Here is my next attempt mixed today:

TFA Bavarian cream - 0.5 %
INW Custard – 1%
INW Biscuit - 1.5%
FA Joy – 1%
FA Marshmallow – 0.5%
CAP Cake Batter - 0.5%
CAP Glazed Donut – 2%
TFA Pancake – 2%

Marshmallow added for a creamy, malty moistness. FA Joy is enhanced with INW Custard (egginess) and Biscuit. Cake Batter may be too much but with a good steep it should mellow out to the background. Then to be brave there is Glazed Donut (CAP) and Pancake (TFA). Both of these flavors have an inherit sweetness (powdered sugar in the case of CAP and syrupy with TFA) which should be eliminated with the other flavors. Will steep this mix for 2-4 weeks before I try any of it. Hopefully this recipe will provide some form of baseline to work from.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
I'd try custard, biscuit, milk and, butter flavors. With custard, probably a bit of a vanilla crepe flavor but, that should be very close to right. think of the vanilla as part of the filling when you go to add those flavors to it. Vanilla is good i cooking for most fruit fillings, in small amounts so, should be okay in the crepe vape too.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Update on my previous disastrous attempts. Both V1 mixes turned out to be a bust. I remixed a few other alternatives and those were a bust as well. I then proceeded to buy every pancake/waffle from CAP, TFA and FW. Mixed each of them @ 3% and steeped for 2 and 4 weeks, tasting at each interval. Suffice to say I was not impressed by any of them. Only CAP's Glazed Donut and TFA's Pancake shows some level of promise. I also dabbled with other clone recipes and the one that lead me to this next version was a French Quarter recipe and my discovery of FA's Joy (never too old to learn). Here is my next attempt mixed today:

TFA Bavarian cream - 0.5 %
INW Custard – 1%
INW Biscuit - 1.5%
FA Joy – 1%
FA Marshmallow – 0.5%
CAP Cake Batter - 0.5%
CAP Glazed Donut – 2%
TFA Pancake – 2%

Marshmallow added for a creamy, malty moistness. FA Joy is enhanced with INW Custard (egginess) and Biscuit. Cake Batter may be too much but with a good steep it should mellow out to the background. Then to be brave there is Glazed Donut (CAP) and Pancake (TFA). Both of these flavors have an inherit sweetness (powdered sugar in the case of CAP and syrupy with TFA) which should be eliminated with the other flavors. Will steep this mix for 2-4 weeks before I try any of it. Hopefully this recipe will provide some form of baseline to work from.

Please let us know how you like it, sounds delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricksha

Feb 19, 2015
Austin TX
I'd try custard, biscuit, milk and, butter flavors. With custard, probably a bit of a vanilla crepe flavor but, that should be very close to right. think of the vanilla as part of the filling when you go to add those flavors to it. Vanilla is good i cooking for most fruit fillings, in small amounts so, should be okay in the crepe vape too.

@BlueMoods I may just whip up a basic custard, biscuit, butter and vanilla mix with a touch of Joy. I have CAP's Butter Cream and Golden Butter - I'll start with the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread