Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2013
Greensboro, NC, USA
www.bigtent.com
I am noticing what I can only descibe as an atmosphere of panic and fear and perhaps anger occuring in the shadow of the upcoming/expected FDA regulations.

I have seen at least one vape shop raising prices on e-liquid citing this.
I am seeing people preparing and positioning themselves for it.
I am hearing rumors from people who claim to have the inside scoop on what the FDA is going to or not going to do. I don't know how true they are, maybe they are onto something.

Some things I am not worried about. As a e-liquid DIY'er I'm not worried about being able to obtain flavor concentrates, simply becuase these flavors are used in many different applications and fields (cooking, candy making, etc).

Likewise, I don't see the FDA being able to do anything about PG and VG, for the same reasons.

Mod batteries, no problem there, because they are used in flashlights and lots of other devices.

But one thing I am concerned about though is being able to get my nicotine base for my mixing. I know Wizard Labs is generally out of stock alot of times, but I can't seem to get anything from them anymore. Could people be hoarding the stuff in preparation or expectation of the deeming regulations?

Not sure who came up with the "Keep Calm and Vape On" refrain (whether it was Grimm or someone else), but I find this to bring me some measure of comfort. :vapor::2cool:

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
The one thing that makes me just a teensy weensy bit nervous is the banning of online sales of juice. I couldn't care less if they ban the sale to minors (what reputable vendor would knowingly sell to minors anyway?). If they get their Walter Peck little hands on the juice labs and some regulation comes into play, that's OK with me, too. If they decide to tax it and then leave it be, I'm fine with that, too. But the banning of online juice sales scares the holy living bejeezus out of me. Yeah, yeah, yeah... DIY, DIY, yeah. But I know beyond a shadow of a fraction of a doubt that I'll never be truly able to recreate my favorite vendor's flavors on my own, without a recipe. I tried DIY and, well, quite frankly, I suck at it.

This is how I kinda see the FDA regulations... I know it's not accurate, but it's how I feel...

original.jpg

And we all know what happened to the Big Apple when Walter Peck and the feds stepped in:

Followed by this:

Stay-puft-marshmallow-man.jpg

But no, in all seriousness, this is the one thing that is making me kinda nervous.

Putts Law: people who understand the technology but don't manage it (us). People who don't understand the technology but manage it (them).

Last edited:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
We vapers are a clever lot. We will work together to overcome or circumvent whatever obstacles the regulators and/or politicos throw our way. Vendors are not going to simply throw up their hands and capitulate; there are many, many vendors in this business not just to make a profit but because they *believe in ecigs.*

We will prevail. I refuse to panic.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
If I'm not mistaken, isn't there an interim period where once they create a regulation the people being affected can appeal it? I would like think all of those online vendors being threatened would come out of the woodwork like a Dark Ages army on a battlefield, unified and backed by oodles of intensity and earnestness.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
We vapers are a clever lot. We will work together to overcome or circumvent whatever obstacles the regulators and/or politicos throw our way. Vendors are not going to simply throw up their hands and capitulate; there are many, many vendors in this business not just to make a profit but because they *believe in ecigs.*

We will prevail. I refuse to panic.

Like Like Like Like Like Like Like.

Thanks for saying what (hopefully) many of us feel AgentAnia.

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
The one thing that makes me just a teensy weensy bit nervous is the banning of online sales of juice. <snip> But the banning of online juice sales scares the holy living bejeezus out of me. Yeah, yeah, yeah... DIY, DIY, yeah. But I know beyond a shadow of a fraction of a doubt that I'll never be truly able to recreate my favorite vendor's flavors on my own, without a recipe. I tried DIY and, well, quite frankly, I suck at it.

But no, in all seriousness, this is the one thing that is making me kinda nervous.

If they ban the Internet Sales I'll be out of luck because I only have 2 stores near me... A local shop full of uneducated people selling a lot of fake stuff and a Volcano mall kiosk... I wouldn't survive long without decent juice :(

I'm in Revelene's situation, I only have one store nearby (within 20 miles) and it's not good.

But I'm not especially worried about the banning of online juice sales. Worst case, your favorite juice vendor can simply sell the flavorings. Mt. Baker does this already - for many of their juices, you can buy the juice itself or you can buy just the flavoring to add to your own nic base. No reason other vendors can't do the same.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
I think you might have missed my point. I'm well aware of how to DIY... I just suck at it. Unless my favorite vendors' revealed their recipes and gave an exact list of ingredients, ratios, the names of the manufacturers of said ingredients, as well as a "Step 1, do this. Step 2, do this," etc., I'll NEVER be able to recreate the juices I've come to love so much.

And yes, to anyone suggesting it, I have multiple tools, apps, and calculators for DIYing ejuice. Every time I've tried, they sucked.

Revelene

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Kentucky, USA
I think you might have missed my point. I'm well aware of how to DIY... I just suck at it. Unless my favorite vendors' revealed their recipes and gave an exact list of ingredients, ratios, the names of the manufacturers of said ingredients, as well as a "Step 1, do this. Step 2, do this," etc., I'll NEVER be able to recreate the juices I've come to love so much.

And yes, to anyone suggesting it, I have multiple tools, apps, and calculators for DIYing ejuice. Every time I've tried, they sucked.

I'm right there with you! I tried to make my own berries and cream... It tasted like a sour cotton candy. Tried to make a chocolate strawberry flavor and ended up with a sweet tart nutty flavor. I'm also a horrible cook as the family begs me to not make breakfast... I'll leave the juice making to the professionals.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
I'm right there with you! I tried to make my own berries and cream... It tasted like a sour cotton candy. Tried to make a chocolate strawberry flavor and ended up with a sweet tart nutty flavor. I'm also a horrible cook as the family begs me to not make breakfast... I'll leave the juice making to the professionals.

I managed to mess up plain ol' Sweet Tarts with premixed nic juice...lol

Word. Every time I tried to make a fruit mix it ALWAYS came out tasting like Sweet Tarts or Pixie Stix. While I love Sweet Tarts and Pixie Stix as candy, I do not like them as vape flavors.

I'm TRYING to get those flavors and can't manage it.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
Mt. Baker does this already - for many of their juices, you can buy the juice itself or you can buy just the flavoring to add to your own nic base.

If I'm not mistaken, and correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the majority of their flavors come from Flavor West. I do not like Flavor West's flavorings. But that's just me. That's why I would HAVE to have the recipe and the manufacturer's name of my favorite vendors' ingredients.

EvilZoe, check into Mt. Baker, then. EVERYTHING I've ever gotten from them that was supposed to be a fruit mix ALWAYS tasted like Sweet Tarts or Pixie Stix.

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA

No, you misunderstand. I mean online vendors could sell the flavorings for their specific juices.

Example, one of my favorite juices ('Red Ape' from DarkestDayVapors) is described as "banana, butterscotch, caramel, and Bavarian cream". I have no idea of the ratios, what specific vendor's flavors he uses, any additional flavors, etc. etc.

I'm not talking about buying 'banana' flavoring and 'caramel' flavoring, etc. etc. and then mixing them together myself following his recipe. I'm saying he could make up batches of 'Red Ape' flavor using his recipe and then sell the finished 'Red Ape' flavor to individuals who mix it with their own nic base.

bosun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
in between the ice ages
What we have is a new industry that can be considered 'sinful', 'unregulated', and 'uncontrolled'. If it is 'sinful' then it should be taxed like alcohol, gambling, etc, especially if "I" don't partake in that sin. If it is unregulated but is a consumable then there should be regulations. I am quite sure there are regulations that lolli-pop makers have to comply with. If it is 'uncontrolled' then it should be controlled else there will be chaos and the control freaks will be falling all over themselves to make everything disciplined and 'in line'. Worse case scenario would be all on-line vendors disappear (juice and hardware) and the only 'e-cig' items available would be from the deep pocket corporations. A limited selection from the same places that sell cigarettes now, with everything the same except some difference in flavors to differentiate between the different 'brands'.. Or some real studies can be done, and a compromise/accomedation made between the laws for cigarettes and 'e-cigs'. But then looking at the actions of our current legislative bodies that may not happen..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread