Parallel Ni200 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vap3dz

Mar 15, 2017
Zürich, Switzerland
Hey there!
I dont know if this topic was covered before. If so pls excuse me and do changes accordingly, but i honestly couldnt find a thread about it.
I always read about Ni 200 spaced coils and how its important not to cross the wires and such. Is it possible to do a "single" Parallel Ni coil ? Will wires cross or be too close to eachother? If they cross/touch is it bad? Does it even matter surface area with nickel and tc mode?
thnx for the help

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I've been doing Dual coil build with Ni 200 for ages developed a nice method for spacing the coils for single wires. I'm not really sure what ""single" Parallel Ni coil" is referring to. In most cases you need 2 coils with a parallel resistance of about .15 ohms, preferably the resistances are close to equal. Some people including myself heat the wire to oxidize the outer layer that reduces the chance of coil wires causing shorts and it also reduces the springiness.

Vap3dz

Mar 15, 2017
Zürich, Switzerland
I've been doing Dual coil build with Ni 200 for ages developed a nice method for spacing the coils for single wires. I'm not really sure what ""single" Parallel Ni coil" is referring to. In most cases you need 2 coils with a parallel resistance of about .15 ohms, preferably the resistances are close to equal. Some people including myself heat the wire to oxidize the outer layer that reduces the chance of coil wires causing shorts and it also reduces the springiness.
With a "single" parallel I meant one coil but wrapped with 2 parallel wires. The point is that its not possible to look after hotspots with nickel wires since heating them in VW mode is risky because of the low melting point of Ni and with TC the temperature protections pop of too early since there's no juice on it.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
With a "single" parallel I meant one coil but wrapped with 2 parallel wires. The point is that its not possible to look after hotspots with nickel wires since heating them in VW mode is risky because of the low melting point of Ni and with TC the temperature protections pop of too early since there's no juice on it.

Hi and Welcome,
Doesn't SS316 have a lower melting point than Ni?
If it was me, I would just try the build. :headbang:

Cheers
I

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I've been using 2 Ni wires twisted together 32 guage, I generally go through the process of heating them up in wattage mode to get rid of some of the springiness and it sometimes provides a oxidation to reduce shorting. I've burnt them using a lighter, a 12 v car battery and on the vaporizer. Next I'd ask is what size wires are you using?
What is the purpose of using 2 wires in parallel vs one larger wire?

Vap3dz

Mar 15, 2017
Zürich, Switzerland
I've been using 2 Ni wires twisted together 32 guage, I generally go through the process of heating them up in wattage mode to get rid of some of the springiness and it sometimes provides a oxidation to reduce shorting. I've burnt them using a lighter, a 12 v car battery and on the vaporizer. Next I'd ask is what size wires are you using?
What is the purpose of using 2 wires in parallel vs one larger wire?
From what i experimented sofar, apparently with kanthal wires doing a parallel coil increases the surface area but keeps the resistance low.
I can do 6 wraps with 2 parallel wires and will look like a 12 times wrapped single wire but with a way lower resistance. Using a thicker wire wont increase the surface area as much because a 26 g wire has a diameter of 0.4 mm whilst a 22 g has a diameter of 0.6mm.
2 parallels 26 g wires will cover 0.8 mm of area per wrap and to match it with a thicker wire i would need a 20 g one, which i can't find anywhere in the country i live in.
In addition to that every wrap of the parallel wire has a flatter profile than the rounder one of a single 20 g wire making it behave more in the direction of a ribbon wire which is straight out flat.
Im interested to know if the same thought process could be applied to nickel wires, since the resistance here doesnt matter too much because in TC mode the chipset will make the changes for the Power output according to the resistance itself and not to the Wattage.

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
Very good explanation of what you've been doing, and yes you want a large surface area for heating and vaporizing the liquid in the cotton. My kit came with a nickel coil of .15 ohms so I started in temp mode which I like so I began making nickel coils. The thought process is along the same lines, large surface area and also the final resistance at room temp should be about .15 ohms to .20 ohms. This room temp resistance changes with temp giving you the temp control. There is also stainless steel which has a higher resistance which I haven't had much luck with. So I'm using 17 turns of 2 twisted 32 gauge wires, each coil is 34 ohms which in parallel gives me .17 ohms. The problems are it is delicate.

Vap3dz

Mar 15, 2017
Zürich, Switzerland
Very good explanation of what you've been doing, and yes you want a large surface area for heating and vaporizing the liquid in the cotton. My kit came with a nickel coil of .15 ohms so I started in temp mode which I like so I began making nickel coils. The thought process is along the same lines, large surface area and also the final resistance at room temp should be about .15 ohms to .20 ohms. This room temp resistance changes with temp giving you the temp control. There is also stainless steel which has a higher resistance which I haven't had much luck with. So I'm using 17 turns of 2 twisted 32 gauge wires, each coil is 34 ohms which in parallel gives me .17 ohms. The problems are it is delicate.
So u suggest to decrease the diameter of the Ni wire in order to have more wraps in a smaller space. Still micro coils are a no-go because its impossible to detect hotspots in TC mode? Or is it possible to pulsate it on low wattages? It would be a pity to mess my goon 24 or my kayfun with melted Ni XD XD XD

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
Nickel 200 wire
32 .9375 oh/ft .20 mmDia .0781 oh/in
30 .6 oh/ft .254 mmDia .05 oh/in
28 .3778 oh/ft .32 mm Dia .03148 oh/in
26 .2373 oh/ft .40 mm Dia .01977
24 .179 oh/ft .51 mm Dia .01491
I'd be using something in this range, the 30 and 32 are to small to start with. Start with 28 to 24 to get a feel, the idea is to get a coil resistance that the vaporizer accepts, in my vaporizers that's the .15 to about .20 ohms which would be doubled for each coil for double coils. For hotspots, burning in coils use wattage, I use 30 W plused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread