PART 8 -The Official MyVapeJuice Family Room (Crazy Chit Chat Thread - Live LAUGH Love and Vape)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonLit_Water

We All Shine On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stuart, Florida
big time here now
aggieStorms_zpstbuhzkj5.gif
be careful

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
The one I did was chkdsk/f c: then I checked repair and restarted is that the same thing?

No... the /f just does some basic steps but can miss correcting bad spots on the drive ( if they exist ) ... but usually the /f option is all that is needed the only time I use the /r option is when it's been a long time since I'd used it last...

Said another way...

Most of the time, about monthly... I'll just use the /f option.... then on a yearly basis I'll run the /r option which is a lot more in depth and takes a lot longer. The /f fixes only file system related errors ( ie a corrupted file or index etc )... the /r does that and also records/marks the bad spots that may have developed, tries to recover any data that is in those areas and then the system doesn't used the marked bad spots later.

Bad spots on the drive are a normal thing that just happens over time and there are two types. A physical head crash actually ruins a small spot on the drive platters... these can happen when we bump or drop the drive when it is running. The other type has to do with the underlying low level format ( the magnetic tracks that data is recorded on ) and usually happens when we have a power spike or sag that corrupted that format a little which affects the data within the track.

The manufacturers, knowing that bad spots will happen... actually put more data areas on the drive than is normally available. These areas are then used later as spare tracks so when a spot is marked bad, it gets replaced with a spare. If you never run the /r option, these bad spots aren't ever "fixed" and you loose available space not to mention have files written and probably corrupted within those areas.

oldbikeguy

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
    No... the /f just does some basic steps but can miss correcting bad spots on the drive ( if they exist ) ... but usually the /f option is all that is needed the only time I use the /r option is when it's been a long time since I'd used it last...

Said another way...

Most of the time, about monthly... I'll just use the /f option.... then on a yearly basis I'll run the /r option which is a lot more in depth and takes a lot longer. The /f fixes only file system related errors ( ie a corrupted file or index etc )... the /r does that and also records/marks the bad spots that may have developed, tries to recover any data that is in those areas and then the system doesn't used the marked bad spots later.

Bad spots on the drive are a normal thing that just happens over time and there are two types. A physical head crash actually ruins a small spot on the drive platters... these can happen when we bump or drop the drive when it is running. The other type has to do with the underlying low level format ( the magnetic tracks that data is recorded on ) and usually happens when we have a power spike or sag that corrupted that format a little which affects the data within the track.

The manufacturers, knowing that bad spots will happen... actually put more data areas on the drive than is normally available. These areas are then used later as spare tracks so when a spot is marked bad, it gets replaced with a spare. If you never run the /r option, these bad spots aren't ever "fixed" and you loose available space not to mention have files written and probably corrupted within those areas.

I'm gonna re-do it now wish me luck :w00t:

Reddhott

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 19, 2011
    cartoon land,usa
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread