Password Change Required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D. Waterhouse

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
central WI USA
vBulletin is dead, long live the vBulletin....

Shame, really comfortable with vBulletin. So it goes.

Oh my lord the grousing and complaining there's gonna be when new software is found and moved to!
When this does happen I promise not to be amongst the whiners and complainers!!

If we get more color and layout customization options I promise not to grouse (on the forum). :)

20 years of night shifts means I have to run blackened to keep from getting a headache. A light to medium grey or grey/blue would be nice, all the other options are too bright/high contrast to read for more than 10 to 15 minutes.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
it think the change will be hard very hard for most of us but the real reason of ECF is to help those ones new to the vaping world and I think they need a forum easy to surf not this one that is becoming like an old turtle in a large road
That too Lis, LOL

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Uh-huh. Thanks for posting my extremely cleverly thought out password for everyone to see. :mad: Thank goodness you somehow missed the ^ the &, the % and the squiggly chinese characters.

(J/K)

Bwahahahahaa

What happened is complicated...

We have changed hosting twice in the last few months, and the database somehow got 'cleaned up'.
Our normal password reset requirement, staggered, for different usergroups, got 'lost'.
The default setting on the forum software is 6 months and that is time that just expired since a previous reset.
So the forum had a headache and decided everyone needed a p/w reset.
It's obvious that a new pass is needed, not a recycle of the old one, so this is a software fault.
Our forum software, vBulletin, isn't properly maintained anymore - you have to find a coder who can rebuild it if you need anything done.
We really need to migrate to a newer, properly-maintained application like XenForo - but this would cause some downtime.
We'd also probably lose some features till we could get them coded back in.
Me, I'd move tomorrow - but members would complain about things looking different or working funny :)

I'm hoping we can build a test install of a new forum application, work it up to go-live status, and switch across. Maybe it's a pipedream.

People: go here and download Keepass
Downloads - KeePass

Or Roboform (max 10 passwords for the free version)
Password Manager Download - RoboForm

Or try Lastpass
https://lastpass.com/misc_download.php

I don't know how anyone can remember all the passwords you need now.
Don't EVER under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use the same pass on two different sites.
Any password you can remember probably isn't a good password.
Here is a good password that will work in most places:
cU3n61vBj5bSXPRj9ha7Qt28dkGjPA2
[it's an example - don't use this! :)]

Some places need a short password so just chop it short.
Some places need a symbol in there ($, *, & etc)
Some places can't accept a pass with a symbol.
Passwords without symbols are just as strong but you need to make them longer.
A password under about 100 bits in strength is too weak for any site you deem important (bank, social security site, ECF)
Don't use the password above, dummy :)

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
Maybe my post here isn't germane to the currently railroaded topic regarding general criticism of the message board software. Too bad.

It wasn't easy getting logged into ECF just now.

My attempt to log-in lead me to this stupid page.

stupid2.jpg

As you can see, the idiotic excuse for programming pictured above has no provision to change the password. None of the links to my profile info worked, either. I tried it with Firefox and I tried it with IE. No dice.

I had to attempt hacking a new username account. That process recognized my email address as having been previously used and offered me the opportunity to change my password with an email. I did.

Incidentally, I changed my password and email address last June.

Stupid.

Last edited:

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
We would go live with a pre-built forum. There would be some glitches for a couple of weeks. There would be complaints for at least a month due to things not being exactly the same. The staff would be complaining more than most because they have a difficult job - more difficult than you can imagine - and things would be difficult for them for a couple of months.

After 6 months everyone will be saying why the hell didn't we do this a long time ago. It always ends up like that; we hang on to what we've got wayyyy too long, because we've got comfortable with it and we can't see its faults any more. When it's time to move on, it's time to move on.

Mr. Gate, mind if I use this in my listicle Life lessons learned via vaping? ;)

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
frak me, was hesitant to update after the last site hack, so searched for this thread while logged out first, and then couldn't remember the password I changed it to last time. grrrr, had to count the number of characters, and then get the sequence in the proper order. grr. well figured it out. Now to catch up on everything. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread