Not open for further replies.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Hi @mollylama! Yes, the problem with the peeling wrapper is that it may expose the negative terminal of the battery (which is basically the entire battery "can") to metal inside the mod. Doing so can cause a short circuit condition, and that's a bad thing.

Pick yourself up a package of these:

18650 PVC Wrap

and re-wrap the suspect cells. Just cut the old wrapper off, slide the new one in place, and use a hair dryer to shrink it to the battery.

In a pinch, you can wrap a little piece of electrical tape over the cracked area, but replacement would be the best option.

mollylama

Jan 18, 2014
Ky
Hi @mollylama! Yes, the problem with the peeling wrapper is that it may expose the negative terminal of the battery (which is basically the entire battery "can") to metal inside the mod. Doing so can cause a short circuit condition, and that's a bad thing.

Pick yourself up a package of these:

18650 PVC Wrap

and re-wrap the suspect cells. Just cut the old wrapper off, slide the new one in place, and use a hair dryer to shrink it to the battery.

In a pinch, you can wrap a little piece of electrical tape over the cracked area, but replacement would be the best option.

Thank you so much for this info, I will buy some of the wraps, especially since one of the vape shops I go to charges $5.00 to re-wrap a battery. I actually threw away 2 good batteries before, because I thought I needed to throw them away if damaged at all. So what you saying is, that yes, a peeling battery has the potential to explode in my Subox Nano? I will take it out now if it potentially dangerous to vape while it is in there.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thank you so much for this info, I will buy some of the wraps, especially since one of the vape shops I go to charges $5.00 to re-wrap a battery. I actually threw away 2 good batteries before, because I thought I needed to throw them away if damaged at all. So what you saying is, that yes, a peeling battery has the potential to explode in my Subox Nano? I will take it out now if it potentially dangerous to vape while it is in there.

It is Never a good idea to use a Battery (any Battery) with a Damaged Wrapper.

Especially when for about 3 Bucks and 30 Minutes of time with a Blow Dryer you can Replace the Wrapper with "Any Colour you Like".

Wraps - IMRbatteries.com

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So, how does one know the identity of the battery then. For later use with a different mod?

You can write on the Battery's Metal Casing with Fine Tipped Sharpie Marker and then use a Clear or Translucent Wrapper.

Or if you don't have any Mods that have Very Tight Battery Compartments, you can Print out Info and then Cut the Paper Down to a Small Strip. Once Again, Using a Clear or Translucent Wrapper.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
So, how does one know the identity of the battery then. For later use with a different mod?
His suggestion is better than mine. I wrote on the shrink wrap directly, and it can sometimes smudge off. His solution is better than mine. I have a labeler, but no film for it, so I might give that a shot sometime later.

If you have a dual battery mod, it is also a good way to "marry" them. For kicks and grins, I label them with a female and a male name starting with the same letter. :) (Alfred and Abagail, Bob and Bernice, Charlie and Christy) Things get real tricky though when you have a Releaux three battery mod... (Frank, Frances, Fern)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
His suggestion is better than mine. I wrote on the shrink wrap directly, and it can sometimes smudge off. His solution is better than mine. I have a labeler, but no film for it, so I might give that a shot sometime later.

If you have a dual battery mod, it is also a good way to "marry" them. For kicks and grins, I label them with a female and a male name starting with the same letter. :) (Alfred and Abagail, Bob and Bernice, Charlie and Christy) Things get real tricky though when you have a Releaux three battery mod... (Frank, Frances, Fern)

A P-Touch Labeler works Great Also.

Now that thing about giving them Male and Female names? You might want to consider Lowering your Nicotine mg's.

Or Maybe Increasing it?

:blink::eek:;)

Reactions: K_Tech

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
It is Never a good idea to use a Battery (any Battery) with a Damaged Wrapper.

Especially when for about 3 Bucks and 30 Minutes of time with a Blow Dryer you can Replace the Wrapper with "Any Colour you Like".

Wraps - IMRbatteries.com

^This one of the vape shops I go to re-wraps batteries for free. No sense buying new batteries when the wrapper tears.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Liquid Electrical Tape.

upload_2016-7-23_8-20-27.jpeg

Last edited:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Eastern Ohio, USA

I wouldn't say that it's 100% dangerous without knowing the internal construction of the Subox, but yes, it is a risk.

You can write on the Battery's Metal Casing with Fine Tipped Sharpie Marker and then use a Clear or Translucent Wrapper.

Or if you don't have any Mods that have Very Tight Battery Compartments, you can Print out Info and then Cut the Paper Down to a Small Strip. Once Again, Using a Clear or Translucent Wrapper.

Those are great ideas, along with your suggestion of a P-touch. I specifically bought clear wrap just so I could label the batteries. For "factory-wrapped" batteries, I use a paint marker to label them, I've found it's a LOT more durable than a Sharpie.

If you're in a jam, a quick temporary fix is at least put some thick tape over the tear.. the goal.. no contacts that could cause short..

Yup. At the low voltages we deal with, even clear adhesive tape (like Scotch tape) works just fine, although it's not designed as an insulator.

Reactions: zoiDman
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread