Pegasus Vapor Academy Type A 10A 18650 Bench Test Results...a very good 10A battery, probably MJ1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Tested at 5A-15A constant current and 5A-40A pulsed. These cells were purchased by me for the purposes of testing thanks to the wonderful donations from so many of you. Thank you! To prevent any confusion with the eGo-type "batteries", I use the term "cell" here to refer to a single 18650, 26650, etc.

Disclaimer
    The statements, conclusions, and recommendations I make based on these tests are only my personal opinion. Carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved and how to minimize them. My safety precautions are the ones I have elected to take and you should not assume they will protect you if you attempt to do any testing. Do the research and create your own testing methods and safety precautions.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

A note regarding pegasus Vapor Academy cells
    If you're reading this, these cells are not for you. These are for beginning vapers who don't know there aren't any 18650's rated above 30A. These are for shops who can now trust the batteries they are selling and easily show their customers which battery is best without watching their customer's eyes glaze over.

I've seen many people complaining about the price of the PVA batteries and saying that the cells used by PVA can be bought for less. I agree, they can be. But you know that those cells exist and where to buy them. For a new vaper, whose mind is already reeling from all the available choices of mod, tank, juice, etc., not having to learn about batteries would be very welcome news indeed. And the PVA cells cost less than a lot of other "vaping" cells being sold.

I have nothing to do with PVA or these cells. I just think they're a good idea and that there is room in the market for them.

Bottom Line
    In my opinion, this is an accurately rated and very good 10A continuous discharge rating (CDR) cell with a capacity rating of 3500mAh. Its appearance and performance are the same as the 10A/3500mAh LG MJ1.

Continuous-Current Test Results
    image.jpg

Pulsed-Current Test Results
    These tests are done to show the performance of the cell at higher pulsed current levels. If you are running your mod at these levels be aware that you risk overheating, and possibly venting, the battery if there is a malfunction or accidental pressing of your mechanical mod's button.
    image.jpg image.jpg

PVA Type A vs LG MJ1 Shootout
    image.jpg

Comments
    • At 5A it reached about 3100mAh. This is average performance for a 3500mAh-rated high-capacity cell at 5A and matches the MJ1.
    • At 10A the maximum temperature reached 71°C. This is a bit below the average temperature of a cell operating at its continuous discharge rating (CDR). It indicates that we're operating at or near the CDR for this cell. It is the same temperature as the MJ1 at 10A.
    • At 15A the temperature rose to 101°C. This is way too high for a cell operating at its CDR and is above my 100°C safety limit. The voltage is sagging a lot at this current level, indicating it is being discharged at beyond its rating.
    • Another two discharges at 10A showed no damage to the cell.
    • I am setting a CDR of 10A for this cell. Its temperature at this discharge current level is the same as the temperature of the 10A/3500mAh LG MJ1 operating at its CDR. While operating any cell near its rated maximum current causes damage to the cell, I would expect good cycle life from this cell at 10A.
    • I have included pulsed discharges but I haven't set pass/fail standards for pulse testing yet. The discharges were done at 5sec on/30sec off, down to 2.5V. One chart shows the entire discharge at each level. The other chart is zoomed in to show the first 5 minutes to make it easier to see the voltage sag at different current levels.

To see how other cells have tested and how hard you can safely push them, check out these links:
    List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
    18650 Safety Grades -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread