Pen style enclosed battery vented/blew up???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamawoman

Too Blessed To Stress
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2012
Orlando
i had my smokeless Image automatic (no button) 900 mah battery on the charging cable. This battery is probably around 3 years old. I have a bunch of these because my favorite vape is an auto battery with an iclear 16. Yes, I have more up to date stuff. But this is my fav. Anyway, I have always assumed since these are self contained they are safe. I have left this type of battery on a charger cable for days and never had an issue. Thankfully, I have heeded the warnings and the charger is across the room from my bed because I also charge the batteries for my ProVari in the same area. I take those out of the charger when they are done. I was laying in bed and start hearing a hissing sound. I turned on the light and smoke is coming from the battery. I grabbed the whole cable with the battery attached and threw it in the fire pit. It burned a hole in my entertainment center and scared the crap out of me. I have a bunch of these in the vapocalypse stash and I am wondering if I should be storing them in something fireproof or was this because I left in on the charging cable. I know I will be putting all my chargers in a cooking dish now and I will never leave any type of battery charging on its own. I just wonder if the stored ones could spontaneously blow up like that?

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
i had my smokeless Image automatic (no button) 900 mah battery on the charging cable. This battery is probably around 3 years old. I have a bunch of these because my favorite vape is an auto battery with an iclear 16. Yes, I have more up to date stuff. But this is my fav. Anyway, I have always assumed since these are self contained they are safe. I have left this type of battery on a charger cable for days and never had an issue. Thankfully, I have heeded the warnings and the charger is across the room from my bed because I also charge the batteries for my ProVari in the same area. I take those out of the charger when they are done. I was laying in bed and start hearing a hissing sound. I turned on the light and smoke is coming from the battery. I grabbed the whole cable with the battery attached and threw it in the fire pit. It burned a hole in my entertainment center and scared the crap out of me. I have a bunch of these in the vapocalypse stash and I am wondering if I should be storing them in something fireproof or was this because I left in on the charging cable. I know I will be putting all my chargers in a cooking dish now and I will never leave any type of battery charging on its own. I just wonder if the stored ones could spontaneously blow up like that?
Li batteries decline over time, even if they are not used. That decline, once it progresses far enough may increase the risk of the trouble you had. Storing Li batteries long term is not advisable. I keep the minimum number of batteries on hand so they aren't wearing out while sitting on the shelf. Another possibility is the charger you are using is not delivering stable power. I got one of these hoping to be able to check whether my chargers are working as they should. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3JSEG6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I try to use name brand chargers from reputable companies. Others here may know more than me about chargers. I don't expect any of my Li batteries to be in service three years from now.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Most likely charging / charger related failure, but, 3 years is a very long life from that type of battery.
Usually a few +\- 300 recharge cycles & they're near or at their end of life.

The auto fire mechanism can fail in either way, meaning will not fire or stuck in the fire/on position. If stuck on it will burn the delivery device & easily could over stress / over heat the battery causing it to go poof.
Auto fire batteries are notorious for the auto fire mechanism to be triggered accedently or for no reason at all, just go wonky / flaky.

As batteries age they lose capacity even stored unused.
Storing them long term could result in having a bunch of batteries with at least reduced capacity several that do not function at all & a few that malfunction with the first few uses after being removed from storage & used.

Pamawoman

Too Blessed To Stress
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2012
Orlando
I have a bunch of Smokeless Image that are 3 years old and still work fine. Maybe I am lucky or they have really good batteries. This is only the second one that I have had to toss. The other one just would not charge. I am going to go through the stash and put them in all in fireproof containers. I just hope they work when I maybe need them. I am praying the deeming regs go away and then I will have no issues. I am still really shocked that this happened. I thought I only had to worry about the batteries for my ProVari. Lesson learned. I am just so glad i was home. It doesn't look like it would have caused a fire but you never know with this kind of thing.

Reactions: Opinionated

Pamawoman

Too Blessed To Stress
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2012
Orlando
Is this the SI ego sized battery that charges thru a usb style connection when you remove the end cap? If so, what wall wart are you using. Likely shouldn't be over 1 amp.
Yes. I was using the iTaste cable with a wall wart that I also bought from SI. All these are SI products. I just went through all my pen style batteries today. The Egos and the SI and I am so glad I did. 2 of the button pushing ones that were in my stash were turned on! And another of the SI autos had a burn hole! This one had a wrap on it and I never noticed it was burned. I just thought it needed to be charged. I put all of them in a fire proof container and moved a smoke detector into the closet where my stash is. I am also making sure that all my chargers are unplugged when I am in bed or not home.

Pamawoman

Too Blessed To Stress
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2012
Orlando
Put your Future in the Provari.
Deeming is not going away.
Vaping is not going away.

The perfect storm..
I am so glad I bought 6 of them before they went out of business. I knew my favorite was going to go away deeming regs or not. People really don't vape the way I do. That reminds me. I met a dude at Disney vaping on a Blu. He said he has been using it for 3 years. And I thought I was old school! LOL

Pamawoman

Too Blessed To Stress
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2012
Orlando
I expect more of these posts in the very near future.

For the exact same reasons.

Battery safety knowledge could have prevented this.

Tapatyped
I thought I was being safe. I only use the Chargers that SI has for their products. I wasn't switching stuff around. I think no matter how careful you are things can happen.

Pamawoman

Too Blessed To Stress
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2012
Orlando
Most likely charging / charger related failure, but, 3 years is a very long life from that type of battery.
Usually a few +\- 300 recharge cycles & they're near or at their end of life.

The auto fire mechanism can fail in either way, meaning will not fire or stuck in the fire/on position. If stuck on it will burn the delivery device & easily could over stress / over heat the battery causing it to go poof.
Auto fire batteries are notorious for the auto fire mechanism to be triggered accedently or for no reason at all, just go wonky / flaky.

As batteries age they lose capacity even stored unused.
Storing them long term could result in having a bunch of batteries with at least reduced capacity several that do not function at all & a few that malfunction with the first few uses after being removed from storage & used.

I actually threw out 2 Ego style auto batteries because they started going off just moving them. Obviously, defective.

Pamawoman

Too Blessed To Stress
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2012
Orlando
If that's that paper thin retractable one, yeah, I didn't like that one from the start. My charging was much improved using a better cable and charger.They're nice to slip in my jacket pocket tho.
No. It was a regular cable. I do have one of those in the stash.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I'm just Very Glad to hear that You and your Family are OK.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Me also. My 7 year old was in bed with me and I scared the crud out of her. Poor kid.

I can Imagine. But the You were there, and you Didn't panic. And you did the Right Thing.

I cringe sometimes because I know a Lot of People put their Mods/Batteries on the charger before they go to Sleep. Just scary to think what Might have happened if someone was Asleep if this had happened to them.

To Answer your previous question. Could this happen to your Batteries that you have in Storage?

I would say the Chances are Very, Very, Very Remote of this Happening. Most of the Problems occur while Charging. Be it the Battery can't handle the Charging. Or something Wonky happens with the Charger.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I thought I was being safe. I only use the Chargers that SI has for their products. I wasn't switching stuff around. I think no matter how careful you are things can happen.
Unfortunately your odds drastically increase when you exceed the intended use.

IIRC you intend to continue doing so.

Battery safety needs more emphasis around here.

Especially with the TP, regulated and built in crowds.

It's not as simple as just plugging in the right socket until the light turns green.

Tapatyped

Pamawoman

Too Blessed To Stress
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2012
Orlando
Unfortunately your odds drastically increase when you exceed the intended use.

IIRC you intend to continue doing so.

Battery safety needs more emphasis around here.

Especially with the TP, regulated and built in crowds.

It's not as simple as just plugging in the right socket until the light turns green.

Tapatyped
I will have to write SI and find out the intended use period of their batteries.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I will have to write SI and find out the intended use period of their batteries.
Better to find out from at least the cell manufacturer.

There's probably a spec sheet, maybe.

Best bet, consult one of the engineers. Though not realistic.

But to rely on a company that buys them for their products? Me? Never...

Tapatyped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread