Pen style enclosed battery vented/blew up???

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
There was no evidence provided that ruled out the internal electronics or the charger as the source of failure in this case.

Also, no one has presented a shred of evidence to support this assertion that li-I batteries should be throw away after any length of time for safety concerns.

if any documented evidence or data comes along supporting such advice, by all means share it.
Aging is a concern with most lithium-ion batteries and many manufacturers remain silent about this issue. Some capacity deterioration is noticeable after one year, whether the battery is in use or not. The battery frequently fails after two or three years.

Source; http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/archive/is_lithium_ion_the_ideal_battery

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I'm failing to understand how this picture proves li-I batteries should be throw away after a year.
I'm failing to understand why you can't comprehend my assertion was to her 3 year old batteries and I won't even repeat the time frame you're somehow coming up with.

I never said that and I won't ever say that.

Please. If you're going to argue, at least check what you're arguing.

Tapatyped

lil_buddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2017
I'm failing to understand why you can't comprehend my assertion was to her 3 year old batteries and I won't even repeat the time frame you're somehow coming up with.

I never said that and I won't ever say that.

Please. If you're going to argue, at least check what you're arguing.

Tapatyped

I'm not arguing. I'm asking for citations and sources because I am sincerely curious. This is the first time in over a decade where I have ever heard someone advise simply throwing out functional li-I batteries due to safety concerns and I have been very fastidious about maintaining the batteries in my laptops and cell phones.

If you do not have supporting evidence, simply say so.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I read that. It doesn't say that batteries become more dangerous with age. It says capacity deterioration becomes noticeable with age.

I fail to understand how your picture supports any conceivable conclusion regarding the effects of temporal or cycle age on any battery
Then quite simply, your understanding of the batteries you're using is dangerous.

You're responding to 1 of 3 people on this forum that have ever shown the knowledge and capacity to write what I wrote on this thread pertaining to lithium batteries.

Another has posted here and liked the post where I explained everything.

I suggest you do enough research to have a legitimate, decent question to ask.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I have done research and it indicates that your advice is baseless.

Of course, my research on battery safety wasn't based on "likes".
Not enough to understand the relation between capacity loss, cell health and potential danger.

So you're far, far from having the knowledge to even ask an educated question let alone debate.

I just hope that little girl doesn't have to go through another scare.

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Reactions: Bad Ninja

lil_buddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2017
Not enough to understand the relation between capacity loss, cell health and potential danger.

So you're far, far from having the knowledge to even ask an educated question let alone debate.

I just hope that little girl doesn't have to go through another scare.

Tapatyped
You've presented no research to demonstrate any correlation between capacity loss and potential danger.

Insulting me and derisively referring to a complete stranger who you know nothing about "little girl" has failed to strengthen your case.

Reactions: Pamawoman

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I would interject but, I try my hardest to stick with the topic of the OP's thread & avoid e arguments with folks that seem to have to much time & too little understanding of the topic.

The 'Little girl' comment wasn't aimed at you, it was a reference to one of the OP's posts in this thread.
Had you actually read the thread instead of barging in looking for an e argument you might understand.

What you fail to understand is the tiny little cell inside of the OP's 900mah, auto firing / ego style /type battery doesn't have the benefit of
reliable charging regulation or have advanced slow/soft start algorithms for charging like most if not all decent stand alone chargers have.
Quite commonly the internal charging do dad fails in this type of battery in all sorts of different ways. fall to charge, over charge, fail to stop charging, charge at too rapid rate for the diminished capacity etc.

If you want to start a thread about basic battery saftey, try the batteries & chargers sub forum, quit pooping all over the OP's thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread