Penelope Coil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
The same amount of power is released on a shorter piece of wire, so the shorter piece got hotter than the longer one. You want a certain temperature for your personal sweet spot.

Edit: Hmm, after re reading your posting, that is not it because you kept the wattage constant. Well, the rest of this posting still stands: =)

If you usually prefer higher voltage, go ahead and get the thinner wire (<=0,13mm Kanthal) I told you about some time ago.
There are four variables to play with:

- material of wire and its inherent resistance
- length of wire
- thickness of wire
- voltage

Special things to play with:
- dual or triple coils in parallel
- combining thinner wire to make thicker wire with more surface area

Taking any of the values to the extremes doesn't work, but there is plenty of room for variance.

The wick material or wick amount is really secondary as long as it has no distinct taste. It just needs to get the liquid there fast enough.

Oh, and once you found what you like, and didn't pick up coil design as a hobby in the process, you can do it blindfolded in under two minutes. "this is my coil. there are many like it, but this here is mine..."

Last edited:

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
I sticky'd the triple wick thread

Cause I thought it was pretty awesome.

Thanks Justin. Later in the week I'll write a document on the new stuff I'm working on. the next project is for the fast puffers that like to smoke it like a regular cig. Hence why i have more than 1 pen.

Last edited:

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
Hah, if you want one for the fast puffers, just wind up a dual coil at around 1.1 ohms and run it at 6V :D I do that periodically on my Ody and for some of my juices it's perfect
At 1.0 ohm i end up burning that out to quick pass 4.0 volts. Do to the way I vape. I can imagine how fast that draw must be not able to let that cook past 5 seconds without it burning and changing taste.

What I was doing was measuring out about 2 1/2 inches of resistance wire 32 gauge and cutting it in half and twist it all together. Then applying it to 3 wicks and see with the extra heat how well and fast it produce. I get the same thin now without needing to do that by making a 2ohms and cranking the volts to 5.2-6v. at those temps it will be a juice hog so keep that in mind.

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
Loving the 3 wick. It's in my Penelope with a mixture of banana and chocolate juices. Made a 2.2 ohm coil, running it at 4.2v on my Provari. Don't seem to ever get dry hits. Time to do the same to my Ody!

Glad you like it. I personally used to love 2.8 ohm and 3.0 ohm etc. but with 3 wicks im very happy at a lower ohm setting. i get my sweet spot hits and the pros is that battery doesn't get juiced out as fast and its not a major juice hog. I end up saving on juice, and on battery life. I see it as a win win.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
I went back to a higher ohm coil. Different wire.

I find the 2ohm coils just kill my batteries. Literally I get half the vape time which is odd since I'm running them at the same wattage.

For example a 2ohm coil running at 3.9v - 7.6 watts
or a 3ohm coil running at 4.9v - 7.6 watts

My battery life is half on the 2ohm coil. I've read it's much greater amp draw on the battery. I have to agree as I literally get half the run time. I didn't think the amp draw would make that much of a difference.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Los Angeles
At my pace ....

2ohm coil my 18500 dies in 7-8 hours.
3ohm coils lasts all day.

Tested with 2 Provari's, with 4 different batteries. Results are the same. I looked at some amp draw tables. Lower resistance has a much greater amp draw on batteries. I really did not think it would make vape time half but it does in my case.

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
You have something there. If I stress use my provari it will drain the battery quicker. No doubt, its a matter of ones sweet spot. I really enjoy slow slow inhales directly to lungs but it got to be hot hot very moist vape not to the point it ruins the flavor of the juice. So my sweet spot has been 2.0-2.4 ohm thus far with volts as high 4.8-6v vary on juice. When I go at lower resistance 1.5 and I try to pump it up at 4.8volts it feels as if its at 6v. the texture of the juice has changed getting different flavor sometimes taste is gone when pushed higher. What I get is a stronger nicotine hit but the rich flavor of the juice is not there and replaced with something else.

So pretty much what i like to do to keep myself on a good sweet spot is to create a enough resistance that will allow me to stay under 6v so i save on battery life and still get the hot hot moist vape sweet spot I love most. So my 2.0-2.4 I do like. and I can keep it that as low as 4.8v and If I want hotter I can go to 5.2v-6v depends which ohms Im at. The lower resistance one if its 1.5ohm I start at 4.2v and I really keep it at 4.8v max. if I go higher the taste of juice changes for me. Plus my provari will fire up errors if its pushed passed a certain Volt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread