People are too easily manipulated, even in this community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FictitiousFreedom

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2014
WV
I'm not trying to be negative in any way, I've just noticed something happening within this community that bothers me, now its obviously inevitable but I'm wondering how people feel about this.

I've noticed that if reviewers, mainly rip, reviews a product, it is instantly sold out and everyone can't wait to get one. Now, in every other aspect of life the majority of people don't think for themselves, in a society so grossly infested with propaganda, marketing, and indoctrination, as a citizen and consumer its nearly impossible to escape it. The thing that bothers me is that I don't want the vapeing industry and community to become how everything else is. with that world of industry comes ....tier products, higher prices, tax, regulation and bull.....

So, I know I'm over reacting and the fact that a few reviewers set the bar, and decide which companies make it or not based on a small royalty, isnt going to ruin our community but it still personally bothers me that people do this. I'm not blaming these reviewers whatsoever, I would do the same thing just for the free gear, I'm blaming us, the consumer for not deciding for ourselves what we like. The next few years are super important for the vaping community and if we can't even choose what products we should buy how are we gonna fight regulations and taxation? In America we have forgotten how to fight for our freedoms and its going to be our downfall, I atleast want to vape freely lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
thats silly. The stuff is generally sold out before the review ever gets uploaded. Give us a little more credit. Most of us are free thinkers and we buy what we want. I can assure you, RIP Tripper has NEVER convinced me to buy anything. I take advice from friends and other members of the vaping community...if there's something I'm interested in, I'll watch a review or two.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
Many of us can think for ourselves. I take everyone's suggestions, including reviewers, and do my own research. Then I decide if I want something or not. I take more stock in the opinions of people I know in real life, or people who I know online well.

Those same reviewers are making an effort to spread awareness of the FDA stuff through their videos. If someone is going to buy an RBA based on what RipTrippers or SuckMyMod says, wouldn't they also take action with CAASA or other organizations when they are told to by the same people?

antony73

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
China
I'm not sure about that. Kanger products and the Aspire Nautilus have gotten great reviews, but with trying those products, the reviews are now mixed. But at the outset, it may be advantageous to give an ear to some reviewers who are passionate about vaping themselves, because from much experience they know, broadly speaking, what works well and what doesn't.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
The reviewers aren't to blame the mod makers in a way are.

These devices are NOT mass produced like a Provari or an Innokin VTR. These devices are sold at very high prices, mass producing them brings DOWN the cost which is bad for the mod maker. They already know they can't win in the mass market and compete with the big boys so hey go for the collector's market and make things that are "rare".

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
The op should take it upon himself to either buy products that have never been reviewed....or, only buy products that have received negative reviews. Obviously. these products are made by companies that RIP and the boys decided will not make it...probably for personal reasons. Nevertheless, I'm sure they are outstanding products built and sold by jerks.

FictitiousFreedom

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2014
WV
I'm glad to hear opinions on this topic. It was just something I was thinking about because rip just put up a review on the Manhattan and people are already rushing to buy them up, even though they've been out for a good while now. Like I said I don't blame the reviewers at all. It's a good move on the modders behalf to send them products. I just hate the way people are today and don't want to see this community go down the tubes. I don't want it to become like everything else, as long as it stays small and within the hands of the people who love it the community will continue to advance and thrive but as soon as larger corporations notice there is a profit to be made it will ruin everything.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
The only video I ever watched was Rip Trippers video on "Steeping, Breathing, and Streathing". The dude makes me nervous, disappearing and coming out of no where in his videos. I sit there thinking like, "Dude, where did he go?" It's like some kind of supernatural, Blair Witchcraft stuff this guy is pulling right before my eyes. I don't like talking about this stuff publicly cuz I knows he's watching us.

Bontasia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2014
Texas
I think you are for sure overreacting.

PBursardo is one of the most popular Youtube vapers and he said he wouldn't buy a MVP2 yet I know many, many, many people on here have them. Including myself. As with anything, you have to take opinion as just that, opinion.

I do see what you're saying...I call it the Oprah effect. Back in the day if she said a $50 bag of dirt was one of her Favorite Things, the Bag of Dirt people would be rich. I don't think we're there yet though =)

catilley1092

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
North Carolina, USA
I feel that the ECF community is more informed than that of others, such as tech forums, On those type of forums, if a certain site reviews a SSD or video card (GPU) that's not quite established, members will bite & fast. Newegg will sell out fast during promos.

Here, I don't see it that way, I see more members asking questions before diving.

Though you're certainly entitled to your opinion & will never deny you that right, I believe you're overreacting. We're not the only outlet that sees these reviews either. The man in the middle scoops up as many as possible to carry to B&M vape shops.

Cat

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
Having sat through many hours of video reviews just to get an idea of what is out there, I tend to do searches on the product reviewed. Not just through the links provided, but bing/google of everything available.

More times than not, the reviewed item is sold out/not available at more than just the linked site. Not sure this is a coincidence.

Giraut

Moved On
Dec 6, 2013
[...] I've noticed that if reviewers, mainly rip, reviews a product, it is instantly sold out and everyone can't wait to get one.[...]
Funny, whenever RIP Tripper talks about any product, I instantly don't want to buy it at all, for fear of turning into a massive idiot if I use it. There's a hole in your logic :)

Lurch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2014
Central Florida
Afraid I have to agree with the majority on this. If I watch a video review, it is because I have read about something here on ECF and want to see what the product looks like. I don't pay that much attention to the review, but use it as a method to see the components and how they fit together. I don't think I have ever made a purchase based on what a reviewer said was good points or bad points. We are individuals, and like juices, I might like something you think is worthless....

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
I think there is a correlation between reviews and selling.
Not necessarily the ECF community, but the VAPING community. There are many people who will only buy due to a good review from their favorite reviewer.
Here within ECF, there are many opinions and lots of advice that allows people who come here to "mature" into a new-found hobby. However, in the "community at large", there are people who ONLY get advice from YouTube.

It's the advantage of following forums. People who join and follow forums tend to be better informed and will know available items more quickly. This is not just with vaping, but with any well-liked activity.
I've seen the same thing in crafts and even 3D printers.

JMM57

Jun 2, 2014
'MERICA
[snip ...]

I don't want it to become like everything else, as long as it stays small and within the hands of the people who love it the community will continue to advance and thrive but as soon as larger corporations notice there is a profit to be made it will ruin everything.

But there's the rub .. profit. Everyone is in business to make money and growth is essential for longevity. Refinement and/or innovation doesn't happen unless you have the money to continue. Of course you could make 25 units and charge uber prices, otherwise the masses are needed and so are reviewers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread