People are too easily manipulated, even in this community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeliciousClouds

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2014
Nijmegen, Netherlands
I feel that the ECF community is more informed than that of others, such as tech forums, On those type of forums, if a certain site reviews a SSD or video card (GPU) that's not quite established, members will bite & fast. Newegg will sell out fast during promos.
I'd say that the internals of a computer lends itself much better to objective reviewing than vaping equipment. My requirements for an SSD can be broken down in a few main things: Speed, Size, Reliability, and the 'bang for buck' element. I'd say the more prevalent issue in tech is clinging to a certain brand above cold, hard numbers and facts.

Not to say that I don't have a few preferred brands, but I always check what the competition is up to as well. I've switched between NVIDIA and AMD multiple times, for example. And I'm currently eying monitors from brands that only serve the Korean market as opposed to settling for the big international brands like Samsung or LG, simply because it gets you a better panel for less dough.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I like Rip Trippers, but mostly for demonstrations of recoiling various atomizers. I watched one of his reviews the other day on the Sigelei Zmax. He was over the top in his love for the device, but accurate for the most part. My favorite mods are the Provari and the Sigelei Zmax, but those are the only two major mods I own. Both have their faults ... the Sigelei more than the Provari.

When I think about buying something I look at far too many reviews and read everything I can get my hands on, including the comments of those who own it. I'm more obsessive than most about knowing everything there is to know about a product before I plunk down my money.

The moral here is don't take the advice of one person before plunking down the money.

antony73

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2014
China
I always look for the negative reviews/comments on a product. They always seem to tell me what I will have to do to a product to make it work properly.

When I come across a product that has many 'how to' articles, then I know it's worth looking into, simply because if it wasn't that good, people wouldn't go to all the trouble to find solutions to its problems. The PTII being a good example.

When I come across a product like the Provari/Reo/MVP/Kayfun, which has constant good reviews, then I know it's a product worth looking into and possibly buying.

I often find that when I'm after that new thing, I'm searching for the good reviews only. It takes real effort to confront the negative reviews. But it is taking in a balance of both the good and the bad that gives a rounded view.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Personally I don't jump on any bandwagon. I wait till the product has been out for months and has actually been used by people. In a few months, any flaws will present themselves. I am glad I have that mind set or I would have been disappointed a few times LOL.

Concepts are fantastic and have a place. If it weren't for those, better things would not have been built. Someone takes an idea, builds a product, people use it, things sometimes don't work quite as well as they should, someone takes that idea and builds a better product.

Remember that this industry is still in it's infancy. There will be new things coming out so quickly. Take your time and watch the forum. If there is a problem with something, it will be posted about. If it weren't for those that do buy these when they first come out, how do we then find the flaws?

Good luck and read tons! :D

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
thats silly. The stuff is generally sold out before the review ever gets uploaded. Give us a little more credit. Most of us are free thinkers and we buy what we want. I can assure you, RIP Tripper has NEVER convinced me to buy anything. I take advice from friends and other members of the vaping community...if there's something I'm interested in, I'll watch a review or two.

:) and what happens if the people you take advice from were influenced by RT just a thought :)

zahzoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2013
AR, USA
www.myretrolounge.com
Say about a year ago I thought most of the popular YT reviewers were just vapers with personality and a core interest in just informing people of new gear, innovations and usage. Maybe that's still the case... but as the popularity of certain "personalities" has risen along with the huge financial growth within the market...

I'm starting to view these guys as pitchmen in the vein of Billy Mays & Anthony Sullivan of Qxy-Clean fame.

At a certain point... the competition for sales volume can be directly influenced by a timely and positive review by say Rip or Pbusardo. At some point getting a product for free to review was enough incentive most likely. But those guys got bills to pay... they'd be not so smart to not "capitalize" on their popularity in the industry.

On the flip side an investment beyond just a sample to get the desired exposure for a manufacturer could pay off nicely.

Not implying anything unscrupulous is in play... just the business end of all this is something to consider. Especially at the top end... where hobbyist may evolve to paid marketing pitchmen.

Reactions: Super Flex

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Then there are perfectly good products that get crushed by shoddy workmanship in the consumables. I'm disappointed right now with the Kanger heads I'm getting from two well respected vendors. It's not their fault ... it's the manufacturer.

Kanger tanks are great products. If you can't ride herd on the quality control, then your product suffers from mediocrity because it relies on quality consumables. Aspire has the same thing going on with Nautilus heads.

The answer is to rebuild my own right now, but I like having some good factory heads around here and there for times when I'm too busy to sit down for an hour and re-coil heads.

Of course, the old adage says, "If you want something done right, do it yourself". I've been vaping on one of my own recoils since this time yesterday and it still tastes like brand new.

My factory heads are lasting 4 to 8 hours out of the box. That's frustrating.

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
One thing I really like about pbusardo reviews is how well he covers pluses and minuses of the products. His reviews have decided me against just as many devices as ones I've bought after watching his reviews. I was really interested in the VTR, but watching his review, I could tell I wouldn't like it (size & weight issue mostly). I was also interested in the 3D dripper, but not not after seeing it in action in the review, it looked like a fiddley, leaky mess (sorry 3D fans). I got the MVP2 after watching Phil's review and lots of reading here on ECF. I decided I could live with it's few flaws, phil provided enough information for me to make that decision.

FictitiousFreedom

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2014
WV
I'm glad to see that the people on this site stay informed and do their own research. The people I was talking about are the ones who don't. As for the guy who said doing research makes us sheep, you missed my point entirely. Doing research is what we need to do, in every aspect of life. Watching a youtube video is NOT research. They can help make an informed decision but if that's all your using to make that decision your going to be misinformed. It's the same way when it comes to beliefs and even religions today. People watch a single YouTube documentary and immediately believe what they hear and spread the word without doing their own research. It's the way we all were taught to learn within the education system, you are taught to read something, accept it as truth, and repeat it back to others. Research is very important, with the internet there is so much information that it overwhelms people.

Orwell feared books would be banned. Huxley feared no one would want to read them. Orwell feared that information would be suppressed from the people. Huxley feared there would be so much that people wouldnt know where to even start.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
I'm glad to see that the people on this site stay informed and do their own research. The people I was talking about are the ones who don't. As for the guy who said doing research makes us sheep, you missed my point entirely. Doing research is what we need to do, in every aspect of life. Watching a youtube video is NOT research. They can help make an informed decision but if that's all your using to make that decision your going to be misinformed. It's the same way when it comes to beliefs and even religions today. People watch a single YouTube documentary and immediately believe what they hear and spread the word without doing their own research. It's the way we all were taught to learn within the education system, you are taught to read something, accept it as truth, and repeat it back to others. Research is very important, with the internet there is so much information that it overwhelms people.

Orwell feared books would be banned. Huxley feared no one would want to read them. Orwell feared that information would be suppressed from the people. Huxley feared there would be so much that people wouldnt know where to even start.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Many vapors out there do not know that forums and video reviews of products exist. All they know is what exists at vape shops, which is usually Egos, Innokin stuff, and mech mod clones.

porkchopbun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Northern CALI, USA
I'm actually more influence by the community members here and on other forums now. He/she paid for the device and isn't fishing for free vape gear. In the end, I either love it or hate and that was my own doing. I'll admit it I was influence in the beginning by the reviews on YouTube, but now I realize most of its BS and pimping the online vendor who sent them their gear. But you gotta try to find out, and people here on ECF are pretty honest on their gear etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
I think most of us do our own research, know what we are looking for before hand then search for a product to meet those needs. I take reviewers with a grain of salt so to speak because first they get all their products free and big names like rip will ALWAYS have a new next great thing a week later. So although I'm guilty of watching some reviews I don't take it all for face value. I know what I'm looking for and find products to meet my specific wants and needs. Name brands don't mean to much to me., its what the device can do compared to my needs and if that devices specs are what I'm looking for then I will purchase that device. Likely in a 1:1 clone because I don't really need a logo to make my vape better and I like to save a little money when I can. I think most of us are smart enough not to fall into some mass marking trap. I think we know our needs and wants, and find a device we can afford that will deliver. Then if a newer technology comes out, we look at our needs and situation and decide if it's something that would improve our expirence or not. I think most are free thinkers and realize a review is only one persons opinion and don't base too much on that specific review.

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
I only watch Pbusardo. I don't like Rip Trippers at all. His splicing of videos is just too much. The good thing about Pbusardo is he gives the good and bad of a product. If he don't like it or its a lemon he will tell you. But I've never ran out and bought something just because he likes it. If I buy something its because I've researched it completely and feel it fits my needs way before even watching a review video.

There may be some who actually buy based off reviews but that's a good way to end up with junk. I think most people use logic. If some can't use common sense and research more than a reviewers video then I can't see them going too far in life.

The majority of Vapers don't even watch video reviews. So, in reality I don't think there's a real correlation between reviews and products being sold out.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
One other thing, since we're on all this.

When that special something that was raved about turns out to be a total Fail for You.................
Don't be so quick to Blame the reviewer!!!!
1) You chose to go with the reviews
2) You may not be ready for that particular purchase

I cannot count the times I've tried to help people right here on ECF that bought something and unfortunately had no clue about Proper setup and Proper use. Often they lacked the most basic understanding of troubleshooting an issue.(or self inflicted problem):facepalm:

Chelonian

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Upper East TN
When it comes to reviews, one atty made me realize that most reviews are pretty much trash. And that's the Strata.

It's a great atty, puts out clouds and has the best taste out of any of the attys that I own. Yet after that Igetcha69 guys bashed it, there wa a bandwagon of hate over it.

As an engineer, when I watched is video trashing the atty, his ideas on airflow through an atty where wrong - and I do mean 180 from correct. As in he talked about how pushed air would flow, when air is pulled through an atty. I read where he showed up in the forums complaining about the shorting issue, which neither I, nor anyone else I knew has had, he seemed to expect a fawning response - and when he didn't get it, he chimped out.

To me, Rip just expresses an opinion. Nothing is tested in a reproducible manner. I am just supposed to take his word for it after he eyballs it and vapes a couple of times.
I really like his coil info though.

PBusardo actually puts out measurable results, that can be duplicated. That is an actual review to me.

Warpigs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
USA
I always go by what my friends that vape opinions. Sometimes we are on same page and sometimes we aren't. We are all different in our likes of various tastes etc. If a friend says wow, this is great. I will take a few tugs and make my descision if I would purchase it whether it be a juice or mod or whatever. I always like to at least try out things before I buy them. Sometimes that can't always be the case and ya gotta just go with it and give it a try. You either like it or don't. When it comes to juice I just order the smalledst avail. Vape it a few days, let it steep a week or so then try again. If I like it I will buy bigger bottles of it next time I make an order. If it was something I didn't like I let my friends try it and if they like it I just give it to em. We share all of our liquids = more variety. That juice I hated may be one of my buds favorite, and we can swap liduids around. I never ever go by all these You Tube vids to get information from. It's just not worth it to me. I can't sample what they are using Mod/liquid. So its all white noise to me.

Tha's my 3 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread