People are too easily manipulated, even in this community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
I like RIP for coils only.

Busardo is the only reviewer that actually measures outputs. Everyone else just looks at it, puts it together, and vapes it.

Whats the use?

Maybe if they put it together and they think it vapes well they can tell us that? Not everyone is looking for output figures (though of course they're helpful). :)

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
I'm not trying to be negative in any way, I've just noticed something happening within this community that bothers me, now its obviously inevitable but I'm wondering how people feel about this.

I've noticed that if reviewers, mainly rip, reviews a product, it is instantly sold out and everyone can't wait to get one. Now, in every other aspect of life the majority of people don't think for themselves, in a society so grossly infested with propaganda, marketing, and indoctrination, as a citizen and consumer its nearly impossible to escape it. The thing that bothers me is that I don't want the vapeing industry and community to become how everything else is. with that world of industry comes ....tier products, higher prices, tax, regulation and bull.....

So, I know I'm over reacting and the fact that a few reviewers set the bar, and decide which companies make it or not based on a small royalty, isnt going to ruin our community but it still personally bothers me that people do this. I'm not blaming these reviewers whatsoever, I would do the same thing just for the free gear, I'm blaming us, the consumer for not deciding for ourselves what we like. The next few years are super important for the vaping community and if we can't even choose what products we should buy how are we gonna fight regulations and taxation? In America we have forgotten how to fight for our freedoms and its going to be our downfall, I atleast want to vape freely lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

It is sad that you basically admitted in your post that you would sell out for free gear. I'm really sorry you lack the integrity in those regards, but don't assume reviewers like rip trippers or pbusardo are the same as you, they are NOT. Surely, there are many reviewers who are in it for free stuff.....but PBusardo and riptrippers have integrity. Sorry you don't see that.

Kropotkin

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Maine
DaveP said:
I don't have a problem with reviewers getting to keep the sample. It's a benefit of reviewer status and it's probably the norm in the industry.

The only way to safely navigate the rhetoric is to become familiar with the product outside of YouTube before you take the video reviews for truth. ECF is a good place to get hands on comments. There's always a topic on whatever unless it came out yesterday.

Today's world is one of making money by hit count. YouTube pays for that. To get repeated hits, you need to be honest enough to generate repeat viewers, or just plain lucky. The lady below stands to send her kids to college on a viral YouTube video.

Cashing In on Your Hit YouTube Video
Excellent points all around.

:)

DeliciousClouds

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2014
Nijmegen, Netherlands
I like RIP for coils only.

Busardo is the only reviewer that actually measures outputs. Everyone else just looks at it, puts it together, and vapes it.

Whats the use?
RipTripper ain't bad but the guy can't even finish 2 sentences without jump-cutting the video. It's a very annoying trend that enables people who apparently can't talk in front of a camera to copy and paste a somewhat coherent video together anyway, but the effect just bugs me. Maybe I just saw the wrong video, but it definitely soured my impression of him. Others may not be put off by this or go by a more 'it's not how you put it together, it's what you talk about that matters' kind of mentality.

Busardo doesn't do this, and he seems infinitely more confident because of it. Coincidentally, he's also one of the best reviewers in the vaping scene. Grimmgreen doesn't cut either, though I'd call that guy an entertainer first, reviewer second with his off-topic ramblings about beer, music and the "jam-attack". But, I do find his voice quite pleasing to listen to.

But anyway, it's okay to make mistakes. This isn't a high-profile TV show, it's a niche review on YouTube.

Last edited:

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
I'm glad to hear opinions on this topic. It was just something I was thinking about because rip just put up a review on the Manhattan and people are already rushing to buy them up, even though they've been out for a good while now. Like I said I don't blame the reviewers at all. It's a good move on the modders behalf to send them products. I just hate the way people are today and don't want to see this community go down the tubes. I don't want it to become like everything else, as long as it stays small and within the hands of the people who love it the community will continue to advance and thrive but as soon as larger corporations notice there is a profit to be made it will ruin everything.

I really don't even understand what your objective here is.

You said you hate the way things are today, and you don't want to see the vape community go the same way. Have you ever considered that the vape community is PART of the world in which we live in, not separate from it....and the people in the vape community are the same people as any other group?

What you are basically saying is you dislike the decisions people make when they are in groups, is that it? That you want to somehow keep your beloved vape community pure, and free from group-mind, or something? Sounds to me like that is your own egotistical hang ups. The vape community is just fine the way it is....

I'm also sorry you see the world in such a negative light....but I assure you, there are around 7 billion people here on earth...and no two humans are exactly alike. Everyone can sit and focus on the negative aspects of whatever it is they choose, but there are just as many positive aspects of groups, humanity, and people as well.

People who want to change the world, or change groups, very rarely ever do so in any positive or lasting way. The best thing YOU can do, as a vaper, is make the best decisions you can, buy what you want, vape what you want, and help out others with their vaping questions. Do that, and I promise you, everything will be just fine. The vape community is exactly what and where it needs to be ;)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
RipTripper ain't bad but the guy can't even finish 2 sentences without cutting the video. It's a very annoying trend that enables people who apparently can't talk in front of a camera to copy and paste a somewhat coherent video together anyway, but the effect just bugs me. Maybe I just saw the wrong video, but it definitely soured my impression of him. Others may not be put off by this or go by a more 'it's not how you put it together, it's what you talk about that matters' kind of mentality.

Busardo doesn't do this, and he seems infinitely more confident because of it. Same for Grimmgreen, though I'd call that guy an entertainer first, reviewer second.

It's okay to make mistakes. This isn't a high-profile TV show, it's a niche review on YouTube.

I actually like the production methods of Rip Tripper. It's kind of in your face infomercial style, but he cuts to the good stuff. I just watched a 33 minute video on the Kayfun where the maker screwed up the coil he just wound and took me through doing it a second time. That kind of content needs to end up on the cutting room floor (or the bit bucket in today's world).

Rip Tripper would have done a similar build in a few minutes without leaving out anything important. He is a little like Infomercial King Billy Mays, but I find him interesting to watch and technically superior to many who do the same thing.

DeliciousClouds

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2014
Nijmegen, Netherlands
I actually like the production methods of Rip Tripper. It's kind of in your face infomercial style, but he cuts to the good stuff. I just watched a 33 minute video on the Kayfun where the maker screwed up the coil he just wound and took me through doing it a second time. That kind of content needs to end up on the cutting room floor (or the bit bucket in today's world).

Rip Tripper would have done a similar build in a few minutes without leaving out anything important. He is a little like Infomercial King Billy Mays, but I find him interesting to watch and technically superior to many who do the same thing.
Cutting to the chase is always good, but it's the constant cuts when he's just talking about a product that get to me. It's simply too much for my liking. But that's the great thing about YouTube, we don't all have to like the same reviewers and there's plenty of them to choose from.

And good point about Billy Mays, I can see the similarities. Not giving up on Rip yet though, maybe his style will grow on me. He certainly doesn't lack energy.

JimzDogz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
Pensacola, Florida, USA
I love to watch Rip Tripper and other reviewers videos. The reason I watch isn't so much to find out what their opinions are about products. It's because they usually take the products apart and look inside them, which I can't do without having one in hand. That allows me to make my decisions without having to rely on write-ups provided by suppliers and others with a vested interest. Do reviewers influence some inexperienced vapers, probably. Do they provide a valuable resource that helps me in making decisions on equipment, diffidently. Read forums, watch videos, but in the end make up your own mind. Knowledge is freedom.

FictitiousFreedom

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2014
WV
I was just sharing my opinion and trying to get a discussion on the topic going. I just said that I don't blame these reviewers for accepting free gear and if your saying you wouldn't your full if it. That has nothing to do with integrity. I Just worry that it has a negative affect on some modders. When sharing your honest opinion and perception there will always be people who refuse to add something real to the discussion by being judgmental and negative, but that won't stop me from trying to create something out of nothing with great discussions. I like to look at as alchemy, creating something sometimes more valuable than gold out of nothing. So please continue to make golden ideas, everything great always starts with an idea.

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
I was just sharing my opinion and trying to get a discussion on the topic going. I just said that I don't blame these reviewers for accepting free gear and if your saying you wouldn't your full if it. That has nothing to do with integrity. I Just worry that it has a negative affect on some modders. When sharing your honest opinion and perception there will always be people who refuse to add something real to the discussion by being judgmental and negative, but that won't stop me from trying to create something out of nothing with great discussions. I like to look at as alchemy, creating something sometimes more valuable than gold out of nothing. So please continue to make golden ideas, everything great always starts with an idea.

Sure, discuss freely! However, in your op you said , "...[reviewers get to] decide which companies make it or not based on a small royalty,". You also specifically mention rip trippers. If that isn't calling someone out, I don't know WHAT is. I was replying to let you know that he is in fact a genuine dude, and doesn't hype up any product based on "royalties".

Again, nothing wrong with discussion! It goes both ways though, if you are going to present an idea via a thread, be willing and ready for people to respond to that topic, in a brutally honest way without getting offended ;)

FictitiousFreedom

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2014
WV
Not offended at all, like I already said I have nothing against any of the reviewers, I don't blame them, thats not what this topic is about. Even if they are affecting the modding community negatively I know that's not their intentions. ...., the giveaway rip is doing is a great idea,making people sign the CASSA form to be eligible, that just proves my point though, hes gotta give people free stuff to get them to fight and research. Obviously no one was going to reply saying that they are one of the people who do this but I see it everywhere. As soon as one of these guys reviews something look on the forum and you'll see what I mean, I just worry that it could affect the community in a negative way. I just wanted others opinions and how they perceive this, and I got a lot of that, I also got a lot of defensive and negative responses, which is impossible to avoid online, I just don't want that to be the focus. We did get a few good responses and opinions but overall the majority think that the people who are buying high end mods are going to research it for themselves and the reviews are just helpful to get a good look at the mods before purchasing them, which is probably true for a lot of people. I just hope bringing this up will make even one person research more, not just with mods but with everything. Because there is a lot of unknown out there just waiting to be found.

Kropotkin

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Maine
Not offended at all, like I already said I have nothing against any of the reviewers, I don't blame them, thats not what this topic is about. Even if they are affecting the modding community negatively I know that's not their intentions. ...., the giveaway rip is doing is a great idea,making people sign the CASSA form to be eligible, that just proves my point though, hes gotta give people free stuff to get them to fight and research.
I don't understand.

How could encouraging people to join CASAA have a "negative effect on the modding community"? Or, for that matter, how could inspiring people to buy more original/authentic mods have a "negative effect"?

If it's the modders themselves you're worried about, then surely these are positive effects, no?

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
Or, for that matter, how could inspiring people to buy more original/authentic mods have a "negative effect"?
Some people have been spending beyond their resources. People complain about the selfish motivation of BT and BP, but this emphasis on buying authentic presents problems for people with limited income. I begin wondering if vendors in the US contribute to this problem. FT has its place, for those who do not have the money to buy authentic Kanger, Boge, Innokin, etc. Or should the privilege of quitting smoking be restricted to those who have the money to buy a Provari?

As I have said time and again, if Mexico and lands south were to start manufacturing vaping hardware, everyone would be happier.

Mr Kropotkin, you are not following in the steps of your namesake.

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
To say the reviewers give biased reviews based on the free stuff just tells me you haven't watched enough reviews.....from the big names, anyway. I've seen Busardo, Grimm, Todd, Scott, Rip....all of them trash products that were trash. There's always the chance the like something I won't like....or vice versa, but they would've been run out by now if they were faking it to get freebies. Then to basically call out this whole community as a bunch of sheep is total crap. You can call it "making people think" or "starting an incredible discussion"......whatever. Its none of those. Its condescending and inaccurate. You've been here how long? You already know what had to happen to preserve the community? Get over yourself.

Kropotkin

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Maine
0mg Menier said:
Some people have been spending beyond their resources. People complain about the selfish motivation of BT and BP, but this emphasis on buying authentic presents problems for people with limited income. I begin wondering if vendors in the US contribute to this problem. FT has its place, for those who do not have the money to buy authentic Kanger, Boge, Innokin, etc. Or should the privilege of quitting smoking be restricted to those who have the money to buy a Provari?

As I have said time and again, if Mexico and lands south were to start manufacturing vaping hardware, everyone would be happier.

Mr Kropotkin, you are not following in the steps of your namesake.
I'm quite sure my namesake would rather see independent local artisans producing original mods for a fair price, than see Mexican wage slaves producing cheap copies for pennies a day. But that's hardly the point.

I'm simply trying to figure out exactly what the OP is driving at here. Thus far his arguments aren't making much sense. He seems to be insulting hardworking people to no good purpose, and I'm curious as to the reason.

Asbestos 4004 said:
To say the reviewers give biased reviews based on the free stuff just tells me you haven't watched enough reviews.....from the big names, anyway. I've seen Busardo, Grimm, Todd, Scott, Rip....all of them trash products that were trash. There's always the chance the like something I won't like....or vice versa, but they would've been run out by now if they were faking it to get freebies. Then to basically call out this whole community as a bunch of sheep is total crap. You can call it "making people think" or "starting an incredible discussion"......whatever. Its none of those.
Pretty much.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I'm simply trying to figure out exactly what the OP is driving at here. Thus far his arguments aren't making much sense. He seems to be insulting hardworking people to no good purpose, and I'm curious as to the reason.
Perhaps he is having difficulty articulating his concerns about how much money he has been spending. It is easier to blame the reviewers. It is more difficult to take responsibility, and reject the herd mentality.

krisjay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 20, 2014
Maine
I'm quite sure my namesake would rather see independent local artisans producing original mods for a fair price, than see Mexican wage slaves producing cheap copies for pennies a day. But that's hardly the point.

Pretty much.
The OP is probably a guy who tried to get on some list to review products, to score all those free goodies, probably got told no and it bruised his ego and or feelings. The concern for the community as a whole and how this does or doesn't effect it, I'm not buying it for a minute. Just sounds like someone got a boo boo and is jealous and or whining about it. Keep trying, maybe someone will send you some free O Rings to review. Sorry folks, but this thread and the OP rubbed me the wrong way. All signs point to .... hurt in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread