Not open for further replies.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I've tried a couple of pre-made Peppermint juices that I liked and one that I hated. So, I'm looking for a good Peppermint recipe. I found one that I would like to try; but, I don't have quite the right ingredients.

Soothing Peppermint (by LoveVanilla)
12% Peppermint
4% Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
2% Dulce de Leche
1% Sweet Cream
1% Vanilla Swirl
1% EM
0.5 Koolada
1 drop Sweetener / 10ml

First, it's obviously a bit strong on flavorings, over 21%. I do have most of the ingredients, all but Vanilla Swirl.

I'ld prefer to keep it down to about 10%. I don't like overly strong flavors.

I was thinking maybe:
5% Peppermint
1% Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
1% Dulce de Leche
1% Sweet Cream
1% EM
0.5 Koolada
1 drop Sweetener / 10ml

And, since I don't have Vanilla Swirl, I could use 1% of one of my other Vanillas. I have VZ SC Vanilla, TFA Vanilla (Bourbon), TFA Vanilla Cupcake, Capella Vanilla Custard, Vanilla Tahity, and TFA Vanillin in 10% PG. I don't know which of those would be most like Vanilla Swirl (or just a good choice period).

Any suggestions?

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
The peppermint at 12% seems very high I would start at 3% and adjust from there. Also I would go with the vanilla custard. Also if using the vanilla custard you may not need the sweet cream. I mean 3 creams (Van cust, sweet cream, deluce de leche) seem a bit like overkill. Also drop the EM and use the sweetener at 1% only if needed because the other flavors are sweet enough. The EM may actually mute the other flavors. EM is used to add body and thickness to the mix but the custard should do that for you already. So if the mix seems a little thin then you can add the EM back but no more then 1%.

Last edited:

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
TFA Peppermint is strong. I learned this while fooling around with Bowden's Mate clones. Bowden's is actually along the same lines as what you posted, minus the Dulce de Leche and plus chocolate. At 12% it's proportionately very high to your other flavors and thus probably going to wipe out every other flavor in your mix.

Your proposed mods still leave the peppermint dominant at more than a 2:1 ratio over the other flavors combined. Were it me I'd do...

TFA Peppermint 4%
TFA VBIC 4%
TFA Dulce de Leche 1.5% (also strong stuff)
TFA/CAP Sweet Cream 1% (probably optional, I don't think it has much of a chance at that % playing against such heavy hitters as peppermint and Dulce de Leche)
TFA Vanilla Swirl 2% (or sub with your CAP VC or TFA Vanilla Cupcake)
TFA EM I'd delete this
TFA Koolada I'd delete this as I personally don't like it, but your 0.5% ratio should work if you want to add it.
Sweetener I'd delete this, add later if necessary.

This gives you more than a 2 to 1 ratio in favor of the other flavors vs the peppermint. That's a ratio that should let the other flavors through without being overpoweringly peppermint. It would please my tastes personally, but maybe you want a stronger peppermint. If you do, just add in 1% increments till it's where you want it.

You're at 12.5% total flavor with the above.

Good luck!

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
I agree with the vanilla at 4 - 5% in addition to my other above recommendations. Must have missed the modified recipe at 1%.

Also with all those creams don't forget to steep it. This is not a shake and vape recipe.

Last edited:

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
So, this is what I have:

Pepp-Ideas.png

Sound ok?

And, jambi. Do you happen to have a recipe for Bowden's Mate? It sounds really good. Also, what do you not like about Koolada?

Reactions: jambi

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
So, this is what I have:

Pepp-Ideas.png

Sound ok?

And, jambi. Do you happen to have a recipe for Bowden's Mate? It sounds really good. Also, what do you not like about Koolada?

Looks great. Should be nice with the VC after a 2 week (min) steep as Danny said. You can bump the peppermint up as you see fit.

Why don't I like Koolada? Not sure exactly. Can't say anything about it flavor-wise because I don't really identify with it as a flavor at all. It's the sensation...it leaves something behind in my mouth that I don't like. It also does something weird to fruits that I usually like that makes them unpalatable. Also, reminds me of medicine (or the smell of a hospital?) for some reason. I think I'm unusually sensitive to it. I can detect it in a mix (especially a fruit mix) even at very low percentages, like 0.25%.

But don't let my personal opinions stop you from using it! Try for yourself, lots of folks love it.

The Bowden's Mate clone recipe I started with...
(All TFA)
Peppermint 8%
French Vanilla 6%
Vanilla Swirl 4%
Double Chocolate Dark 4%
Koolada 2(!) %

The Bowden's I'm at now (still playing)...
(All TFA)
Peppermint 4%
French Vanilla 4%
Vanilla Swirl 3%
Double Chocolate Dark 5%
Koolada (delete)

The 1st, with all that peppermint being boosted by all that Koolada, was just mint madness. Even after a month it was overwhelming for me, and I'm a daily Altoids popper. The chocolate element was what attracted me to the recipe to begin with, and it was just obliterated by Pepperlada. My intent with the 2nd was to tone (way) down the peppermint and bring the chocolate somewhere up alongside. The above is decent, lightly chocolate peppermint on inhale, mainly peppermint exhale, leaving behind that nice cool peppermint sensation.

I've also tried it with CAP Peppermint (at 5%). The CAP is sweeter, more like a candy cane. It's alright but lacks the nice minty exhale/mouth feel of the TFA.

Dare I say, my "Castrated Bowden" lacks...a diketone element (I'm So Sorrrryyyyy). The French Vanilla doesn't seem to be doing much of anything. The chocolate could also stand an upgrade, but I've run out of my favorite. My next try (as soon as my vendor has my chocolate back in stock) will be...

TFA Peppermint 3 (maybe 2)%
TFA VBIC 4%
Vanilla Swirl 3%
INW Milk Chocolate 3% (bumping up if needed)

And on and on and on... :)

Edit: I've never tried the original Bowden's, and have no idea if the clone I started with is even remotely close, (I suspect it's not, I can't imagine people paying 30 bucks a pop for what I ended up with). I'm just working it for my own enjoyment.

Last edited:

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Wow! I just did TFA Peppermint with 3 different creams (separate bottles) to see which cream did the best. Each was 3% TFA Peppermint and 8% of the cream. The peppermint was very strong for me and I didn't get a good sense in the differences of the creams.

I am going to do it again with 1.5% TFA P and 10.5% for each cream. Maybe I just don't want to clear my sinus' on every vape. :)

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Wow! I just did TFA Peppermint with 3 different creams (separate bottles) to see which cream did the best. Each was 3% TFA Peppermint and 8% of the cream. The peppermint was very strong for me and I didn't get a good sense in the differences of the creams.

I am going to do it again with 1.5% TFA P and 10.5% for each cream. Maybe I just don't want to clear my sinus' on every vape. :)

Most mints I use I usually find good at 1%. I also think your way to high on the creams even at 8%. I would start at 2%. Not sure why your doing mint and cream. That's kind of an odd combo. Usually mint and creams are minor notes to a primary flavor like a fruit, candy, caramel or chocolate type desert mix.

Last edited:

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I am treating the peppermint as a primary in this case, but not far above the cream. Maybe as I come down in peppermint, which is what my taste buds like as a primary, the cream will become more noticeable on each sample. I did do a cream vs cream vs, etc. and they do have differences, but I am adding the mint looking for soft and smooth mint. I find an after-dinner mint different than a breath freshening mint.

My target is the after-dinner mint.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal

You'll like this... Pillow Talk - A Vanilla Peppermint Recipe (DIY Ejuice Recipes)

After dinner mint is like, light peppermint, sugar, light vanilla, somewhat chalky texture. This recipe got it right, but it doesn't have that peppermint wham. Hard to balance that peppermint mouth sensation with other flavors, it's just so dominant.

I'm curious to know what your peppermint and cream experiments will taste like at those percentages after steeping. Can't imagine any cream working well at such high ratios, but what do I know....

Last edited:
Reactions: Tmebs

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
I am treating the peppermint as a primary in this case, but not far above the cream. Maybe as I come down in peppermint, which is what my taste buds like as a primary, the cream will become more noticeable on each sample. I did do a cream vs cream vs, etc. and they do have differences, but I am adding the mint looking for soft and smooth mint. I find an after-dinner mint different than a breath freshening mint.

I think in your case it may benefit your mix to start low on both. I understand what your going for (Kind of a buttery mint) and think your going in the right direction. With creams you'll need to let them steep a bit to let the mellowness come out. A little EM may also be beneficial in your case. I think it will bring out the body and thickness and help meld the flavors together by muting the impact of the peppermint. you may need to go 2% or higher on the EM. Base the amount on how much you want to mute the pepperment. Also I would recommend adding the EM after the steep so you can also judge the impact on the matured taste of the cream. After adding the EM you will need to steep another week to allow the EM to do it's job.

Last edited:

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
I have been using a Sgt.Rock recipe for over a year, around feb. of 2015 I think.
I also thought the sweet cream % was high, but I mixed it anyway.
I'm glad I did, I love this mix.

All Tfa
2% menthol
2% koolada
7% creme de menthe
8.5% sweet cream
1.5% marshmellow (I use toasted)

I never had any luck with peppermint, spearmint or wintergreen or even horehound. But Creme de Menthe is the shiz nits!

May have to give jambi's recipe a try (Bowdens Mate clone)
And give the peppermint another try.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Not sure why your doing mint and cream. That's kind of an odd combo. Usually mint and creams are minor notes to a primary flavor like a fruit, candy, caramel or chocolate type desert mix.
I don't know that I would call it "odd" Danny. I would say mint and cream are the forward notes of peppermint ice cream, mint chocolate chip ice cream, shamrock shakes, grasshopper cocktails, butter-mint creams, mint cream wafers, and even the Wint-O-Green Lifesavers have a creamy vanilla (granted: "back") note. BTW. Can ya tell I'm in my 50's from the list? :D The wintergreen lifesaver has been one of my oldest "works in progress" ever since I started to DIY. It may not be "popular" or "common" but, to me. it's not "odd." Just my :2c: :)

I'mnotZak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Here is my mix for a Peppermint Sugar Cookie. After about 10 variations, this is where I settled. It can be a shake and vape, but 2 weeks of rest with a daily shake mellows the peppermint and brings out the cookie / bakery. As always, the sweetener is optional based on personal preference.

Candy Cane 6% (FW)
Peppermint 1.5% (TFA)
Sugar Cookie 4% (CAP)
Cookie 1% (FA)
Biscuit 0.50% (INA)
Cake Batter Dip 7% (FW)
Sweetener 1.5% (TFA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread