Status
Not open for further replies.

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
So I've been getting used to my new Nemesis mod, with a Hobo rda on top. Just last night I got around to putting in the magnetic switch; found out that there was supposed to be a pin in the side of the switch (the circular groove) that was missing so I cut down a broken drill bit that happened to be the right size.

This morning I stood the mod on a coffee table while I was getting breakfast ready. Several minutes later I went looking for the mod and was drawn to a thin wisp of smoke coming from the corner of the living room...sure enough I hadn't put the safety on. :shock: The whole thing was so hot I had to use a wet towel and oven mitt to pick it up and transport it somewhere safe, then wait to take it apart.

I burnt the black (Delrin?) insulator holding the 510 pin so it no longer stays in place and doesn't seem like it'll fire this way. The insulator on the positive post of the atty is a bit browned but still works.

I'm pretty ...... now; I was really digging it. Wonder if I can just get a replacement top cap.

Reactions: Bad Ninja

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Clones are cheap enough... I've seen the Nemesis going for around $9.

That said, SHOP has a lot of Nemi pieces parts.

OR, consider picking up a mech with a recessed switch. My favorite 22 mm mech is the King V2. The switch is both recessed AND had a lock ring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Thanks, I just ordered the insulator from FDV. This is the HCigar clone; only $14. I do have a recessed magnetic switch mod, the Steamboat apparently is a Tugboat clone. But there's something fishy, the switch gets real hot. It's just a backup unit (for times like...now!)

Hdivr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
Rolla MO
If you are looking for new mech, I would suggest trying out a broadside. I have the clone and it ticked off all the boxes for me. 510 pin, delrin lined. No springs, no magnets. With the clutch system, I haven't had a "hot button" issue yet.

I use is with a .5 ohm coil on either a Kanger subtank mini or a .5 build on a kayfun v5. Working flawless.

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I am by no means a vape snob, but this is why I buy high quality mech mods.

I have never owned a clone that worked flawlessly, was reliable, or lasted very long.
I do not understand this at all... the OP forgot to lock the device and set it down allowing it to fire until the insulator melted. Buying an authentic, forgetting to lock it, setting it down and allowing it to fire unstopped would have had the same results. In thus case, the quality of the mod was never in question... it was simple operator error.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I am by no means a vape snob, but this is why I buy high quality mech mods.

I have never owned a clone that worked flawlessly, was reliable, or lasted very long.

The OPs issue has nothing to do with clones or quality.
The issue happened because the aftermarket magnets arent strong enough to support the mod.

An authentic Nemesis would have had the same results, it just would have cost 10x more.

Haven't we moved past the MYTH of authentics being "higher quality"?

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Perhaps mechs aren't for me

Perhaps, but...

...you learned something - thankfully without getting hurt. If anything you may be better suited now to owning a mech than you were before the incident.

I'm pretty sure you won't make the same mistake again. If you do, then yeah, probably time to hang it up.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
We've all likely done the same thing. I did with a House of Hybrids mech and an authentic brass Nemesis. Just an oversight in each case that cost me a couple of batteries, coils and some juice.

Buggers got hot though!

P.s. Dash Vapes in Toronto has authentic Nemmys for about $70US and the Fasttech clones for $10 are pretty good if even just for parts. Also, GP Paps mods are being blown out for $30-60 if you want something with a better switch. I own lots of authentic and clone Nemmys but the GP switch is much better IMO.

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
We've all likely done the same thing. I did with a House of Hybrids mech and an authentic brass Nemesis. Just an oversight in each case that cost me a couple of batteries, coils and some juice.

Buggers got hot though!

P.s. Dash Vapes in Toronto has authentic Nemmys for about $70US and the Fasttech clones for $10 are pretty good if even just for parts. Also, GP Paps mods are being blown out for $30-60 if you want something with a better switch. I own lots of authentic and clone Nemmys but the GP switch is much better IMO.
I accidentally burned the insulator out of a tree of life clone because it wasn't locked when I tossed it in Ninja's bag, it got so hot I burned my hand taking it apart. Its in the mod graveyard :)

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

Buggers got hot though!

GP Paps mods are fantastic.
One of the better made mods.
High quality, fantastic switch, silky smooh threads.
For $60 they are a steal.

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Well, I did do the same thing again a week after the original incident, but caught it quicker. :facepalm:

Mod still works fine, as it turns out the replacement Delrin wouldn't fit, but the original piece is still intact, it just doesn't always stay in place. I'm just more careful when changing the battery.

And more careful about locking it down, of course!

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!

Belhade

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Oops, I did it again! Unlocked and in my thigh pocket while moving a refrigerator.
    Now the drip tip is more or less permanently attached. Which is fine, it works well and I've had it for a few years, but I wanted to get a matching wide bore steel tip.

20170709_234419-1195x2124.jpg
    20170709_234437-1195x2124.jpg

Broke it down and let it cool off, then rebuilt. The 26g Kanthal .9Ω coil just wasn't cutting it, so I replaced it with 24g @ .5Ω and it's a blast.

Reactions: Bad Ninja
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread