petition needs your signature

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains

baby-giraffe.jpg

I started trying to answer all this last night and it just got too late to think. I was going to say that what needs to change is the batteries. I didn't know anything about batteries until I came here. But it seems it's on the battery industry to come up with a safer solution and not the FDA or someone crafting ecig regulations. Not going to go on because it was briefly discussed in the deeming thread today.

Yes ma'am. You're right.

It's no excuse, but I grew up in a hostile environment due to one of my siblings.

I believe that has a lot to do with it.

Sometimes I just don't know what words to choose to get my point across without seeming so abrasive.

It's a character flaw.

I'm truly sorry for it.

But I don't mean it that way.

In person it's normally easy to tell.

In text, there's no way around it.

I may never overcome it.
Not for lack of trying, though.

They need to make that legal across the board and stop cherry picking the situations in which it carries a penalty.

Decriminalizing at the state level is nothing but a false sense of security and leaves the people who use it as easy pickings with targets on their backs.

I don't think for me there will be. Low wattage users? There's already plenty of gear that complies to choose from.

Education.

I would be okay with a mandate for an educational course outline that results in a certificate that can be held in a federal database or can be held on a laminated card in your wallet like a license.

Much better than climbing mountains in the snow to get to Salt Lake City, Denver, etc.

:thumbs:

Every word - agreed.

Mattiem is a very valued member of this forum.

Tapatyped

My husband grew up with three hostile brothers. It's painful to see the lifelong damage that it has left on him.

Apparently I deadpan my sarcastic humor so well that I sometimes have to tell people I've known for decades that I was joking. :( And this is in person, not in text. The dog doesn't take anything I say seriously.

Hey now, I hold my own :p

I've seen that particular thread devolve into dem/liberal bashing multiple times. I know that I have no problem arguing back, but I also know that there are other members who will just start ignoring the thread so as to avoid a fight, and there actually IS something worth discussing regarding the deeming regs right now.

@beckdg do you really think requiring a license to buy something that anyone could cobble together with items from around the house is really going to work? I don't agree with that provision, and think it will likely promote a thriving grey/black market anyway.

The big problem, for me, is that most if not all of the restrictions, either in the bill or in AEMSA's standards, still don't really have much basis in regards to actual harm potential. It's not the mechs that are the problem, it's people mistreating batteries. There's no evidence of WTA being harmful or addictive. And so on.

I do think, however, that we're at a point where might want to accept this, even with its flaws, to avoid the sledgehammer of the deemings, and then we can work for something even better later.

I know you can hold your own, that's why I let you dangle out there. :D

Yes, I got tired of all the politics and gave up on a lot of it. Well, to be honest, I partly gave up participating because I didn't need the added stress along with what's going on around here locally. I do usually try to read it.

Wait, WTAs are being banned?

I've read the legislation proposal and even though I might not understand everything it seems to be far better option that the Derming Rule and even the TPD in EU

But you guys are right, it seems that mechs are being banned. It seems that the rule does not require short circuit prevention but safety features if a short circuit should happen.

It is true that safety mechanisms could consist in proper venting and maybe battery orientation (positive side pointing away from face) but those are user safety features and the rule demands also battery safety (I guess in order to prevent a thermal runaway)

It is also true that the whole proposal refers only to electronic devices and that could help mechs as they are not. An because they don't have electronics are also not subject to the rest of the law requirements as serial number and recall tracking info

I don't see that a mandatory course or a personal certification are adequate BUT mechs can be allowed if their packaging and their publicity have warnings like that the product is intended for advanced users, or that user must be proficient in coil building and have electricity knowledge. Maybe shops can be fined if they sell a mech to someone if they have knowledge that such customer does not have experience?

What I liked about this law is that it separates the concept of tobacco smoking from vaping and in time the stigmatization of vapor products can come to an end.

Another thing that Big Tobbacco won't like is that this law does not include their new tobacco vaporizers
emoji16.png
which will be treated as they are: tobacco products

One thing I did not understand is that if this law gives FDA power to establish more restrictions in vaping gear in order to be certified, for instance to be a closed system?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Very nice post. :thumbs:

Thanks! We did :wub:

We had forgotten it was there, about an hour away. The little one isn't big enough for the roller coasters yet, but she got to see real live dolphins, and a bald eagle and a bunch of other animals, and to ride some of the kid friendly rides.

Where the heck is it? Glad your daughter had such a wonderful day. I remember going to the the zoo when I was a wee thing, made a big impression on me and I'm grateful my parents, grandparents and aunts took me there. I grew up to post animal pictures on an ecig forum. :thumb:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN

baby-giraffe.jpg

I started trying to answer all this last night and it just got too late to think. I was going to say that what needs to change is the batteries. I didn't know anything about batteries until I came here. But it seems it's on the battery industry to come up with a safer solution and not the FDA or someone crafting ecig regulations. Not going to go on because it was briefly discussed in the deeming thread today.

My husband grew up with three hostile brothers. It's painful to see the lifelong damage that it has left on him.

Apparently I deadpan my sarcastic humor so well that I sometimes have to tell people I've known for decades that I was joking. :( And this is in person, not in text. The dog doesn't take anything I say seriously.

Yes, I got tired of all the politics and gave up on a lot of it. Well, to be honest, I partly gave up participating because I didn't need the added stress along with what's going on around here locally. I do usually try to read it.

Where the heck is it? Glad your daughter had such a wonderful day. I remember going to the the zoo when I was a wee thing, made a big impression on me and I'm grateful my parents, grandparents and aunts took me there. I grew up to post animal pictures on an ecig forum. :thumb:
That's a wise dog. :thumbs:

Tapatyped

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California

baby-giraffe.jpg

It's in Vallejo, used to be Marine World when I was a kid. It's much more amusement park than animal park now, but they still have the animals.

As for WTA, part of the AEMSA standards, what they don't allow in the liquid for their members:
Section 2.05 The following will not be added or used in the creation of eliquids (a) Including but not limited to:
(i) WTA (whole tobacco alkaloids)
(ii) Medicinal - or prescription medicinal
(iii) Illegal or controlled substances
(iv) Caffeine
(v) Vitamins or Dietary supplements (other than for preservative purposes)
(vi) Artificial Food Coloring
1. AEMSA members will not add any artificial coloring or dyes during the e-liquid manufacturing process. Non vendor manufactured flavorings containing artificial food coloring will identify food coloring information to include coloring number in advertising and product descriptions
(vii) AEMSA reserves the right to review, evaluate and deny/approve any potential substance used in the creation of e- liquids at any given time
(viii) Prohibited compounds per local, state, or federal agencies (if applicable)

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains

Thank you! :)

That's a wise dog. :thumbs:

Tapatyped

:lol: Shut up, Beck. :grr:

It's in Vallejo, used to be Marine World when I was a kid. It's much more amusement park than animal park now, but they still have the animals.

As for WTA, part of the AEMSA standards, what they don't allow in the liquid for their members:
Section 2.05 The following will not be added or used in the creation of eliquids (a) Including but not limited to:
(i) WTA (whole tobacco alkaloids)
(ii) Medicinal - or prescription medicinal
(iii) Illegal or controlled substances
(iv) Caffeine
(v) Vitamins or Dietary supplements (other than for preservative purposes)
(vi) Artificial Food Coloring
1. AEMSA members will not add any artificial coloring or dyes during the e-liquid manufacturing process. Non vendor manufactured flavorings containing artificial food coloring will identify food coloring information to include coloring number in advertising and product descriptions
(vii) AEMSA reserves the right to review, evaluate and deny/approve any potential substance used in the creation of e- liquids at any given time
(viii) Prohibited compounds per local, state, or federal agencies (if applicable)

Oh yeah, went to the Vallejo Marine World decades ago. Glad the new version still has some animals left your daughter could enjoy as well as child-friendly rides.

Thank you for the AEMSA quote, memory duly jogged. Didn't agree with the WTA thing before, and I've never used them, and don't now. To your recollection, did they ever give a satisfactory reason why they are against WTAs?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Thank you! :)

:lol: Shut up, Beck. :grr:

Oh yeah, went to the Vallejo Marine World decades ago. Glad the new version still has some animals left your daughter could enjoy as well as child-friendly rides.

Thank you for the AEMSA quote, memory duly jogged. Didn't agree with the WTA thing before, and I've never used them, and don't now. To your recollection, did they ever give a satisfactory reason why they are against WTAs?
It's a fun place, we only saw about half of it, but we'll be going back.

Here's a quote from AEMSA's blog about their reasoning for WTA:
WTAs: The Standards include WTAs will not be “added” as an additional ingredient. They are not prohibited, just unacceptable as in added ingredient in its own right. There are many concerns related to the topic of WTAs and our discussion was lengthy. There are some extremely expensive chemicals used in the extraction of WTAs and those making them refuse to divulge those ingredients (“trade secrets”). Not knowing what chemicals are used in the process, we cannot confirm if the product(s) meets “GRaS”. Therefore, we cannot responsibly allow them as additives at this time. As more accurate and verifiable information becomes available, we will be monitoring and considering if any amendment(s) to the standards become warranted.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains

d61f687a4f7d4467096c6c660c09bf68.jpg

Meant to say before, how weird is it to have a kid that's barely taller than your ankle? How do you not accidentally step it? :w00t:

It's a fun place, we only saw about half of it, but we'll be going back.

Here's a quote from AEMSA's blog about their reasoning for WTA:
WTAs: The Standards include WTAs will not be “added” as an additional ingredient. They are not prohibited, just unacceptable as in added ingredient in its own right. There are many concerns related to the topic of WTAs and our discussion was lengthy. There are some extremely expensive chemicals used in the extraction of WTAs and those making them refuse to divulge those ingredients (“trade secrets”). Not knowing what chemicals are used in the process, we cannot confirm if the product(s) meets “GRaS”. Therefore, we cannot responsibly allow them as additives at this time. As more accurate and verifiable information becomes available, we will be monitoring and considering if any amendment(s) to the standards become warranted.

Half of it? Awesome. :thumb: Heck yeah go back. Buy a season pass. :)

AEMSA: Some extremely expensive chemicals? Odd without further explanation.

The short version is that I'm a strong proponent of listing ingredients. Specifically I mean those ingredients that people are most commonly allergic to. I believe @beckdg has a child with allergies to something less common and will let him comment on how far labeling should go in that respect.

Speaking for those of us with "common" allergies, I got a free sample of juice that I never opened. I had the worst hayferver of my life for two weeks after that bottle of juice arrived. That's how long it took me to realize the unopened, non-leaking bottle might be the problem.

I'd thought about opening it and seeing what it smelled like but never did. If I had, I might well be dead. Look up the EpiPen debacle to see why I didn't have lifesaving medication on hand.

The bottle was labeled as having "natural and artificial flavors." Big effing help. If a child with my allergies had come into this room when that bottle was here, s/he likely would have died before help arrived.

I've heard over and over again on ECF how members don't care if other people/children have allergic reactions to their clouds. Some have said the allergen may burn off in the combustion. I don't know, I'm not volunteering to be the guinea pig. But how is anybody going to protect themselves or others if the bottles aren't properly labeled?

As for "expensive chemicals," are they hazardous to your health? I assume so from what AEMSA implies. I would like to hear more. As I said, I never used WTAs (or MOIAs?), yet they/it may have helped me a lot in the beginning. Seems I suffered more than most around here converting but at least I gutted it out with help of ECFers. By the time I learned of them I'd been stinkie free for a year or two and figured all I needed was yet another crutch.

I've done done it, it was murderous hell to get through but I know I'll never smoke again. I'm prepped (I hope), a band of relentless ECFers almost literally beat the snot out of me to see the light on what was coming and for once in my life I was scared enough to take heed. It is pretty simple, I owe my life to them yet vaping almost took my life due to lax labeling. Whether I like it or not, where do you think my loyalties lie? I know you know, rhetorical question. :lol:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN

d61f687a4f7d4467096c6c660c09bf68.jpg

Meant to say before, how weird is it to have a kid that's barely taller than your ankle? How do you not accidentally step it? :w00t:

Half of it? Awesome. :thumb: Heck yeah go back. Buy a season pass. :)

AEMSA: Some extremely expensive chemicals? Odd without further explanation.

The short version is that I'm a strong proponent of listing ingredients. Specifically I mean those ingredients that people are most commonly allergic to. I believe @beckdg has a child with allergies to something less common and will let him comment on how far labeling should go in that respect.

Speaking for those of us with "common" allergies, I got a free sample of juice that I never opened. I had the worst hayferver of my life for two weeks after that bottle of juice arrived. That's how long it took me to realize the unopened, non-leaking bottle might be the problem.

I'd thought about opening it and seeing what it smelled like but never did. If I had, I might well be dead. Look up the EpiPen debacle to see why I didn't have lifesaving medication on hand.

The bottle was labeled as having "natural and artificial flavors." Big effing help. If a child with my allergies had come into this room when that bottle was here, s/he likely would have died before help arrived.

I've heard over and over again on ECF how members don't care if other people/children have allergic reactions to their clouds. Some have said the allergen may burn off in the combustion. I don't know, I'm not volunteering to be the guinea pig. But how is anybody going to protect themselves or others if the bottles aren't properly labeled?

As for "expensive chemicals," are they hazardous to your health? I assume so from what AEMSA implies. I would like to hear more. As I said, I never used WTAs (or MOIAs?), yet they/it may have helped me a lot in the beginning. Seems I suffered more than most around here converting but at least I gutted it out with help of ECFers. By the time I learned of them I'd been stinkie free for a year or two and figured all I needed was yet another crutch.

I've done done it, it was murderous hell to get through but I know I'll never smoke again. I'm prepped (I hope), a band of relentless ECFers almost literally beat the snot out of me to see the light on what was coming and for once in my life I was scared enough to take heed. It is pretty simple, I owe my life to them yet vaping almost took my life due to lax labeling. Whether I like it or not, where do you think my loyalties lie? I know you know, rhetorical question. [emoji38]
These are just the foods that cause him inflammation. I keep the reference card in my wallet.

wcyJQHb.jpg

On top of that he's allergic to milk and wheat and seemingly off and on with eggs.

Until they can knock off the masquerade and put real ingredients on a label, I'm completely opposed on labeling anything else in the manner food labels are enforced.

But once you don't need an advanced degree in biology and chemistry to buy a hot pocket and some milk, they should be everywhere.

All we need is the FDA and our legislators to reverse their rectal cranial inversion and get their hands out of the pockets of big business.

And start locking up anyone involved in putting big business employees on the committee's that are supposed to be overseeing these industries at the FDA.

THEN THROW AWAY THE KEY!

Sounds simple, right? :blink:

Tapatyped

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I think AEMSA's issue with WTA boils down to: they don't know how they're extracting it, or what they're using, so they don't know if it may be hazardous.

That's just my interpretation though.

As for labeling, I understand the allergy thing even though I don't have any myself. The problem is, are we going to hold this industry to a higher standard than virtually every other industry out there? On top of that, there is the issue that most "manufacturers" of e-liquid are really mixers of e-liquid using ingredients manufactured by someone else. So, if I mix vanilla surprise and to me it includes vg, pg, nic, tfa vanilla and tfa apple. Do I know what the ingredients of tfa vanilla and tfa apple are? Even if I did know them, am I legally able to disclose them? There's also the issue of my recipe being a trade secret, do I have to list that it's tfa vanilla or can I just list vanilla flavoring?

Users who are viewing this thread