ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
32,072 :)

22517577_BG1.jpg

I refuse to "like" any arachnid photos :p
Guess we won’t be singing Macho Man in your honor any time soon. ;)

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
32,072 :)

22517577_BG1.jpg

Guess we won’t be singing Macho Man in your honor any time soon. ;)
Yup, I'm a sissy when it comes to tiny things that could have the potential to kill me, plus they're gross :shudder:

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Petition signed and sent so 32,001 :) .........................................G
smiley-bounce016.gif
Thank you!
Yup, I'm a sissy when it comes to tiny things that could have the potential to kill me, plus they're gross :shudder:
He looks like any other punk rocker. My brother is scared to death of bugs. Go figure, he used to go camping all the time. Not sure how he survived that. You might want to avoid going camping during the tarantula mating season. They can carry off your whole tent with you in it. Once watched a semi swerve into the oncoming lane trying to avoid a tarantula marching across the road. Nearly tipped over, lol. Luckily no traffic coming the other way.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
smiley-bounce016.gif
Thank you!

He looks like any other punk rocker. My brother is scared to death of bugs. Go figure, he used to go camping all the time. Not sure how he survived that. You might want to avoid going camping during the tarantula mating season. They can carry off your whole tent with you in it. Once watched a semi swerve into the oncoming lane trying to avoid a tarantula marching across the road. Nearly tipped over, lol. Luckily no traffic coming the other way.
There are tarantula's in the El Dorado forest? There were plenty of bugs, including spiders, I toughed it out. That is definitely one of the things I could have done without, but worth it.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I’m not certain they stretch that far north, having trouble finding accurate information, but I think they might. First fire I was on was one in the El Dorado National Forest late in the year. Dragged on long enough that there was a pumpkin carving contest in fire camp. Two pilots died when a heavy went down due to mechanical issues. It was horrible.

Anyway, I believe we saw a tarantula or two on that fire. We have them here and have seen them over 3,000’ near Yosemite in the forest. Even if they give you the creeps, they are fascinating and worth telling your daughter about even if you sound like Chip and Dale on helium at the time. If you see one, it is likely a male around 10 years old in search of a female. The females live to around 25 years. It can’t hurt you other than scare the daylights out of you.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I’m not certain they stretch that far north, having trouble finding accurate information, but I think they might. First fire I was on was one in the El Dorado National Forest late in the year. Dragged on long enough that there was a pumpkin carving contest in fire camp. Two pilots died when a heavy went down due to mechanical issues. It was horrible.

Anyway, I believe we saw a tarantula or two on that fire. We have them here and have seen them over 3,000’ near Yosemite in the forest. Even if they give you the creeps, they are fascinating and worth telling your daughter about even if you sound like Chip and Dale on helium at the time. If you see one, it is likely a male around 10 years old in search of a female. The females live to around 25 years. It can’t hurt you other than scare the daylights out of you.
Yeah, I've learned a little bit about them, well not tarantula's specifically since they don't live in Sacramento. I believe I can identify the poisonous ones I might run into here. The other ones still creep me out though.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

'Specially if one happens to run up your pants leg and you have no idea as to what it is, You just know it is big
True story, I would shudder every time I thought about it for months afterwards.

32,105 :banana:

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
IIRC, there are no poisonous tarantulas native to the states. We do get them occasionally tho... I remember reading about a poisonous tarantula from somewhere in South America... black with yellow stripes on its legs... sometimes hitches a ride with bananas imported to the states.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
32,145 :D

You guys are so mean, lol.

150323112215-china-ili-pika-exlarge-169.jpg

Native to a remote region of China, this tiny mammal, known as the Ili pika, doesn't know it's a member of an endangered species -- and neither do most people... there are less than 1,000 of these teddy bear-like creatures living in the Tianshan mountain range in the Xinjiang region of northwestern China, says conservationist Li Weidong.
'Magic rabbit' nears extinction in China - CNN.com

Users who are viewing this thread