PG Allergy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not too sure on all the symptoms, but pretty sure sore throat is one. I think I may be allergic because I get a dry, scratchy, swollen throat when using PG. And drinking water, or coffee, does not help.

Someone more knowledgeable will be able to provide more info...this is just my experience.

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ
Soreness is due to the inhalation in general, whether PG or VG - my suggestion is to vape less (use higher strength nic if needed) and/or drink more water. It also seems to go away quickly for many, within about a week.

PG allergies, from what I've read (not here, medical sites mostly when I was first interested) would show the same as any food allergy - same with VG. If its a mild allergy, maybe your throat is more sensitive - I don't know, that question would be best posed to a doctor. The simple answer is to try straight VG as well, and see how that feels. If you don't feel irritated, focus on VG, or atleast get PG liquid and add VG (so up the strength and flavor for mixing down).

rfun6

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2009
Tennessee ....
I sneezed a lot. Throat hurt. Drank a lot of liquids but still happened. Sinus got real bad. Eyes watered. Side of my face and glands in neck got swollen. Had to get antibiotics from doctor to get rid of it. Using vg and so far everything is going good.

But while I have been using pg and vg... my nails have grown longer,stronger, great. My hair is growing great too.

But I've always been allergic to different things.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I'm not sure if this is classed as an allergy, but there are definitely reactions to something. I had to stop PG, very sore throat, awful cough, which was disturbing, I quit tobacco cigarettes coughing my head off!, lung pains, both sides, and a general feeling of being strangled from the inside out!
I switch to pure VG, and have had no problems at all. One cartful of PG will put me right back on the disabled list, so has to be something to it.
We all need to drink more water, but water won't stop the kind of reactions you talk about. Switch to a good verified Vegetable Glycerin, such as ECOpure and give it a try. I try to stay away from generic Glycerin because source of ingredients can be questionable, it could be "synthetic" or could be animal fat or vegetable.

kentu

Jul 27, 2009
I agree with Kate51, try a VG based juice. Using PG, I had a sore throat and even developed sores in my throat. Since switching to a glycerin based stuff, no issues at all. When at home, I vape constantly with VG and have no problems. Checkout Vermont Vapor for VG juices. Good customer service and fast shipping in the US. I get my orders to Hawaii in 2 to 3 days.

bitey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Central Ohio
I agree with Kate51, try a VG based juice. Using PG, I had a sore throat and even developed sores in my throat. Since switching to a glycerin based stuff, no issues at all. When at home, I vape constantly with VG and have no problems. Checkout Vermont Vapor for VG juices. Good customer service and fast shipping in the US. I get my orders to Hawaii in 2 to 3 days.

Only some of the flavors at Vermont Vapor are totally PG free. The tobacco juices, including vanilla and maple, and mint and chocolate are fine, but the other flavors have some PG in the flavoring. Some can tolerate it, but some of us can't.

Wench

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.
Most of Totally Twisted Texas is 100% and if not they are listed.
(I can't do pg either.. hive's, itchies, rash.I have had no prob's even with the one's that list a small amount of pg due to the flavoring's)
Their Texas Marly is my all day vape, love the stuff.
The Winter grape is nom,nom, nom worthy also.
They have reasonable sample pack's you can choose flavor and strength.

2 others I've found.. Cignot carries Dekang VG juice,Ecopure and Basic line(haven't tried basic yet though) and Avejuice
( Boba's is yummy)

kpax

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
US
I have the same question as the OP and would like to ask a few more if I could, as I have read many descriptions of "allergies" on the board and am just trying to discern what symptoms may be legit allergies vs possibly too much vaping. Some people are saying hives, rashes and itches which from my non medical opinion I would classify as an allergy. Some posters are describing tightness in chest as an allergic reaction too.

I am experiencing the latter after 2 months of vaping and more pronounced since I got an Ego last week vs a KR808. I am definitely using more liquid in the last week. Before I try all VG I was just wondering if that could be from vaping too much. I plan on cutting back and it's not painful or anything but irritating and just wondering if that may be problem and if anyone has gotten relief and stayed with PG just less of it? Or am I starting to show signs of a PG allergy?

One other thing I noticed is sensitive nasal passages. They feel larger somehow and different, plus a little sore. Some of this may be changes from quitting analogs as I am not having the constant sinus drainage, clearing throat, coughing, etc. anymore but it's very "foreign" feeling and I am 8 weeks out of analogs. (There may also be a bad part of lack of sinus drainage as it flushes a lot of stuff out and I am not getting that anymore). I am not good at describing things but if anyone else has this nasal sensitivity you will know immediately what I am talking about. It's noticable. I am wondering if anyone who has related it to a PG problem and has gotten improvement after switching to VG.

I have no allergies to anything and I feel PG is pretty benign based on the fact that it is the main ingredient in lubricant eye drops (not the Visine whitening kind) PG and polyethalene (?) glycol are the only two active ingredients listed on the bottle I looked at today in the drug store. This is something safe to put in your eyes on a regular basis for lubrication....

Last question, since PG is listed as a lubricant on bottle why do some people feel it makes them dehydrated? I haven't researched that part, but I would think it would have the opposite effect?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this and sorry for all the questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread