PG and VG Questions

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by glycerol, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. glycerol

glycerol Senior Member ECF Veteran

So guys, when I started vaping a month ago I read that PG breaks into Formaldehyd (cancerous) above 120 degrees Celsius, so I migrated to 100% VG. Two days ago I bumped into another thread here stating VG breaks into Acrolein (also highly cancerous) above 280 degrees Celsius.

Now, some people say the temperature of a glowing atty coil is 450+ degrees Celsius, others say 60 degrees Celsius even though a drop of VG does not evaporate on a frying pan at 60 degrees (??). Anyway, it's a naked wire that heats the hell out of the juice anyway.

Others say the coil is like 'water cooled' since there's liquid around it and that's why temperatures reach no more than 150 degrees Celsius (safe to vape VG, quesionable for PG is how a newb like me translates this).

Now, I vape 100% VG on a single-coil 2.5Ω and that's like the coldest I can get on my airy protank without losing flavour, but I'm still woried about these chemicals. I used to enjoy vaping as a healthy alternative, now it seems like it's not so healthy and that sucks because I find myself reaching for analogs...

I read all related threads in this and other forums and still can't find the answer - how hot really does the juice get when vaporised by the coil. Thanks for the help.

2. Myrany

Myrany Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Links to your sources for this information please.

3. Orobas

Orobas Equine Disrespect Verified Member ECF Veteran

[ citation needed ]

4. glycerol

I can't remember links, but almost all threads are in this forum, there's also this 'pg vg peg' thread that I read, some *.pdfs I found online, etc. I'm a real noob and was actually hoping someone to give me some links and answers.. I was just wondering about the temperature of the juice when vaporised in a standard mainstream atty.

5. Punkndrublic

Punkndrublic Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  6. SouthernBliss

SouthernBliss Super Member ECF Veteran

If those temps are right we are all pretty well done for anyway. All those PG based flavors are not created for us but are widely used in baking. And VG has been used in bakery products for many years to retain moisture and add smoothness. Last time I baked a cake the oven was set at 350 degrees which is well over the temperatures your giving for them to turn into cancer causing agents.

7. Orobas

Well I used this thing called GOOGLE and can't find any evidence of this being a common occurrence from what I would consider to be a reputable source.

As someone whose dissected any number of things for biology, anatomy, and zoology classes, I'm pretty confident I would notice if I were inhaling it. The stuff is harsh.

Other than that, i suppose I could ask my chemistry professor after summer break, if i remember.

8. Orobas

OP is using degrees Celsius, amerifriend.

9. glycerol

so this research confirms
    Levels of selected carcinogens and toxicants in vapour from electronic cigarettes -- Goniewicz et al. -- Tobacco Control

'9 times safer' doesn't sound so good.. so i guess it's not as safe as i thought.. damn

10. glycerol

Does this mean I should completely convert to 100% PG?

11. SouthernBliss

Whoops! So 842 degrees for me. Seems like it if they are that hot they would heat up the metal a bit faster than they do.

If it is similar to therapeutic products and less than the amount commonly found in the air we breath in our homes then it is a pretty minimal risk. It looks like riding in a car poses a bigger risk of formaldehyde than an e cig.

12. Orobas

It always amazes me how some people happily puff on cigarettes for years and years, but even being shown evidence that e-cigs have 9-450 times LESS of these toxic substances, they still panic.

Also look at those standard deviations.... .110 plus or minus .190... you realize a microgram is one millionth of a gram? so you're looking at a tenth of a millionth of a gram (plus or minus a fifth of a millionth of a gram margin of error) in thirty puffs?

13. glycerol

Little by little I started to relax. I guess I will go for pure PG from now on, will order a 250ml 24mg/ml PG base tonight. I just wonder what to do with 150+ ml of VG DIY juice I have now lol

14. glycerol

Also, which aromas are most harmless? I heard menthol since it's pure and organic. Some others you can rhink of that contain no sweeteners and are organic?

15. Orobas

Ricin is also pure and organic.

16. SouthernBliss

I really would not give up the vg. Looking at those numbers I suspect your body produces and you exhale more formaldehyde than that in an average breath.

17. soba1

soba1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Ok so here goes.......

Do u know that sugar feeds and if memory serves me right causes cancer.
    Drinking one can of soda a day.......
    Do u realize that the soy additives that are in all our foods does that.
    People that don't even smoke have gotten lung cancer, people that have stopped smoking
    for years have gotten it.
    It probably has more to do with our diets, than the powers that be let on.
    So if u are worried about it that much.
    A diet in leafy raw veggies helps a great deal, there a lot of supplements that help fight against.
    Chill, besides still less than what's in cigs

18. TampaToker69

TampaToker69 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I'll take my chances... We all gotta die from something. It's safer than analogs.

19. madstabber

madstabber Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have smoked a cigarette dipped in formaldehyde and I can tell you it has an effect you would notice. If an ecig was producing formaldehyde and you were inhaling it you would be really messed up. Like having trouble walking and talking messed up.

20. soba1

soba1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I'm sticking with vg. It doesn't dry me out.
    Also u know those French fries u like from Mc Donald's, that's vegetable oil.....:)
    Canola oil made from soy ouch.............:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.