Status
Not open for further replies.

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
Actually, just because something's pure and organic, doesn't make it harmless.

I've read the MSDS for PG, and VG, and don't see formaldehyde listed anywhere.

joyetech eGo-C" data-source="post: 9884292" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
joyetech eGo-C said:
Also, which aromas are most harmless? I heard menthol since it's pure and organic. Some others you can rhink of that contain no sweeteners and are organic?

ch2468

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Ontario
I'd still like clarification of what was added to make cigarettes "Fire Safe" the last few years I smoked them. A lot of people asked, but there never was a straight answer or even a straight answer on whether all the manufacturers were using the same additive.

Additive? I was always told it was the paper that made the difference. I guess that's another reason to be glad I'm a vaper now. :laugh:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Additive? I was always told it was the paper that made the difference. I guess that's another reason to be glad I'm a vaper now. :laugh:

That's the thing, there was no definitive answer or if the manufacturers are all using the same method. I think it falls under trade secrets.

ETA: Yes, yes, it's Wikipedia all rubbish and misinformation, but I often find it a good way to locate links to more accurate sites.

So it apparently is added to the paper, which means???? Is the smoke from the paper not inhaled (sarcasm kiddies). They make it sound like a good thing. We aren't adding anything to the tobacco, just the paper...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_safe_cigarette

It's comforting to know that the cigarette will go out in an ashtray, requiring it to be relit, but will burn quite nicely if dropped on fabric.

Last edited:

glycerol

ECF Veteran
flintlock62:9886897 said:
Yes, and you get the most flavor out of PG, you just won't get huge clouds. Vg tends to mute the flavor a bit.
Thanks for not calling me a tin hat lol.

And skyztheLynnit, Ocelot, what is wrong in wanting to know more about what I'm inhaling?

Last edited:

jhiga

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2013
Honolulu
Nothing is wrong about wanting to know what you're inhaling. I like VG, I like PG. I typically use a 50/50 blend, but I do have some 70VG/30PG stuff, and a bottle of 100% VG menthol, for laughs.

I'm not switching my blends up because some minute amount of formaldehyde is detected in the vapor. Gotta put it in perspective, ya know?
I probably inhale more toxins when I take a jog in the mornings, seeing how cars spew carbon monoxide out of their tailpipes.
And I know I'm putting less things into my body than when I was smoking.

Ocelot, what I was actually told and/or found from research (don't remember, it was that long ago) that the cigarette paper went from being uniformly thin, to thicker paper alternating with thin paper alternating with thicker paper, and so on. What this was supposed to do was slow down the burn of the cigarette, effectively causing it to go out if you didn't take a puff on it for a while; this is what I was told regarding fire safe cigarettes.
If you look very closely at a cigarette, you'll see what I mean...it's hard to put it into words.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
so this research confirms
Levels of selected carcinogens and toxicants in vapour from electronic cigarettes -- Goniewicz et al. -- Tobacco Control

'9 times safer' doesn't sound so good.. so i guess it's not as safe as i thought.. damn

I think there is a push by some to say e-cigarettes are completely safe and harmless, but the studies I have seen say they are safer than cigarettes. Many times safer, but still only safer, not safe. No one really knows at this point, as there have been no long term studies, but if vaping is only a little safer than smoking, I'll take it.

Glen Snyder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
So you're saying I'm going to get cancer from that summer I followed Pink Floyd on their European tour?

pink-floyd-concert-stage.jpg

flintlock62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2012
Arkansas Delta
Last edited:

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
The chemical breakdown process takes some time, its not going to really happen when it actually vapes. They have measure the PG/VG in the exhale and its the primary component. The atomizing process just doesnt keep the chemicals hot long enough to cause the adverse reaction that would cause concern. PG and VG both very safe, even more so when compared to actually smoking.

hottierockstar

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2013
southern california
it makes me bananas when i see people say "vaping isn't 100% safe, i'm going back to smoking" (huh?) or "i'm going flavorless 100% PG or VG because there might be something bad in there!".

i think vaping is easier for panicky ppl to panic about because there are usually three known ingredients and there are 439739673946 mostly unknown (without a chemical engineering degree and maybe super high security clearance) ingredients in cigarettes. (and cigarettes have printed government mandated warnings :facepalm:)

since there is one of three ingredients that i read on the interwebz possibly causes some other possibly cancerous chemical i will go back to participating in a known to cause cancer habit?
I never worried what was in my cigarettes when i smoked....but now i should *really really* care about my health and longevity?

i didn't smoke cigarettes because i thought it was GOOD for me.....but it's better for me than vaping? totally and completely illogical...

don't even get me started on the dangers of livestock and their bodily functions! because you know...we're all going to *die* because bessie burped! (absolute sarcasm)

sorry i haven't been awake very long and have a very limited filter to begin with.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread