PG OR VG Confused

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by rejoice, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. rejoice

rejoice Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I am confused ,what is the dfference with PG AND VG? I have glycerine food grade and wondering which this is. Is this PG OR VG? All I know the glycerine drys out my throat. Which is the best? If one drys out my throat less ,I would like to know.:rolleyes:

2. lordmage

lordmage Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

going by what you said you got VG

3. ZambucaLu

ZambucaLu ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    rejoice,

Glycerin is the VG; it will say propylene glycol if it is PG. I am still trying to figure out which one is thicker since I have not bought the PG yet.

Lu

4. Kate

Kate Moved On

Propylene glycol is thinner than glycerine and many of the throat dryness problems are caused by pg. This can be sorted by drinking or sucking sweets.

5. ZambucaLu

Supporting member
    Thanks Kate. I don't know about anyone else, but most of my liquids seem rather watery. When I mix my own no nic, I use glycerin and not only does it come out thicker, but it seems to leach to the atomizer very well.....and lots of vapor for a long time. I don't know....the thinner one seems to "run out" of the cart a lot faster and doesn't last very long. Maybe I'll just stick with the glycerin for now :yawn:

Lu

6. rejoice

rejoice Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Thanks Kate so much. I guess I better stay with VG. Its just the VG makes my juice too sweet. I ordered some nonflavor nic juice and looking forward to making my own juice. I bought this tobacco flavoring that I really like.

7. Kate

Kate Moved On

No problem. The problem with glycerine is that it is sweeter than pg and it mutes flavours. I use a mix of both pg and glycerine now for diy mix.

8. Madisavapor

Madisavapor Senior Member ECF Veteran

Hi there
    I've purchased 2 Glycerins thinking that one of them is PG.

I bought the VG food grade from E-bay as was posted and recommended, and bought the other from Boots chemist (The BP grade for cough mixture).

It was later that I realized both of these were Glycerins, am I right? Or wrong?

My question is, where do I buy PG?
    Please recommend a website / link that I can purchase this from.
    Thanks

Cheers!

9. Kate

Kate Moved On

10. Madisavapor

Madisavapor Senior Member ECF Veteran

Thanks so much Kate!
    I've e-mail the seller, and also asked for a smaller bottle if possible...
    500mls ? Probably I'll create a drink with it!

I've been looking for PGs lately, but am too scared if I selected the wrong one...
    antifreeze tester....treat ketosis in dairy cattle? OH NO!

11. Kate

Kate Moved On

Lol, well the cattle one is probably ok. As long as it's pharmaceutical grade it will do so it needs to be BP or USP monopropylene glycol.

12. ZambucaLu

Supporting member
    I did see one at the tractor supply store....100% PG, USP. A gallon for $20. I didn't buy it as I had the question about thickness. Seems safe from what others have said though.

Lu

13. chuckie

chuckie Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

hey guys just a quick question i bought a bottle that says "Pure Glycerin USP skin protectant" the active ingredients says "Glycerin 99.5% Anhydrous" which i think is fine my only problem is there is a warning that says "for external use only" is there a problem with that or is it a standard warning?

Chuck

14. Kate

Kate Moved On

I've not heard of USP glycerine having a disclaimer against ingesting Chuckie. I don't know if you should try it or not, perhaps you could ask the manufacturer why it can't be eaten?

15. chuckie

chuckie Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

wow thanks for the quick response kate. i mixed some with my juice and it smokes great now if i could just find a way to get rid of this third eye that grew out of my forehead ;) lol

chuck

16. Kate

Kate Moved On

Ha. Eye see. It's best to grow them in the back of your head, they're handier there (but only if you have a bald patch).

17. ZambucaLu

Supporting member
    I first purchased a bottle of glycerin from Michael's craft store. I think it was safe but I also thought it was kind of thin compared to what others were saying. But it was useable.

On a fluke, I happened to see a bottle of Humco glycerin at walmart. Same ingredients as yours but does not say "for external use only" on it. I have heard others say they use it but I was hesitant because it said "skin protectant". But it was so thick, I couldn't pass it up! (I really hate thin liquid.)

I did try a little for an experiment and it worked well...I like it...but as Kate said, I have no evidence of its safety. Mine doesn't say not to ingest and there is no warning about it except for "in case of accidental overdose...."

They list a website, but I haven't checked it out yet: www.simplehomeremedies.com

I saw some in rite aid one time that I think said "skin protectant, for external use only" so I did not buy it. Not sure what the ingredients were now. Don't know if I would have bought this one either if it said that :|

Lu

18. QueenInNC

QueenInNC Ultra Member ECF Veteran

19. ZambucaLu

Supporting member
    Yes, that is the Wilton glycerin you can buy at Michael's craft stores. Do you have any near you? This price is very expensive (plus shipping!) If you don't have a Michael's near you, you can find it much cheaper other places on the net like here:

Nature's Flavors : Glycerine (CAS Number: 56-81-5) Food Grade

There are others as well. I just don't know where the other links are off the top of my head.

Lu

20. QueenInNC

QueenInNC Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Yes, there is a Michael's 5 minutes from me. The shipping for that one is free, but I guess if I can get it at Michael's there is no need to wait! :) What do you suggest? Plain, flavord? What is better? I use regular Marlboro carts. Thanks, Lu!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.