PG, VG or 50/50 blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! I didn't expect such rapid replies, and Thanks for the welcome!

Sonic- There it is, everything I wanted answered in my 45 minute search, plus more. And it only took you 11 minutes to read my post, find it, and link it back here. I feel like i'm apparently not firing on all cylinders tonight. :blink:

Hi and welcome!

You'd have to ask them about their house blend if you don't see it but vendors generally display the ratios, at least any that I have bought from. Most aren't as high as 50/50. More like 80/20, 70/30, 65/35. The reason being is that as many have stated here, VG is thicker and doesn't wick as well. These ratios are made in mind as an optimal balance for the "average" (non-ECF vapaholic) user's equipment - voltage and resistance-wise. You may prefer a different blend as you develop preferences. Many vendors allow you to chose PG/VG, as it's a matter of calculation on their end, but also more time-consuming as they can't make big batches but must make juices to order. Mt Baker Vapor would be an example, they give LOTS of choice for every flavor.

FreedomSmokeUSA is 50/50 as a Specialty pre-mix though, you are right.

Me, I started out at 50/50 but I find I prefer more flavor and TH over clouds of vapor, although those are fun. Even on my Cobra rba, a 80/20 blend with extra flavoring can sometimes taste muted to me.

And please do ask questions, make comments or whatever; it's a very welcoming, open and supportive community. You will find yourself crossing that post threshold in no time. I'm not that prolific either but I have enough to say, even if it's just babbling on about my Provari, or about the latest juice I'm vaping.

Mariss- You homed in on the motivation for my search in the first place, figuring out what works for me. It didn't help the learning curve to have no idea what exactly it was that I was vaping. Thanks, for clearing up some questions that I didn't know I had yet, and answering the 'Why the heck is this stuff so darn thick?' one that I had been pondering.

So far, at least from my recent order, and not knowing the ratio of what I had been vaping (I think it was called Dekang,) some of the 50/50s often leave me wondering if my battery went dead. Tap-tap, is this thing on? while straining to see if the light is on if i'm out in the sunshine. The one 30PG/70VG that pleasantly surprises me in the other direction. We'll see if my taste buds eventually revolt.

The hunt for the ever changing perfect vape, continues...

Last edited:

IndyJones

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2012
Clearwater, FL
floridalawweb.com
+1 on that. 50/50 often tastes harsh to me and not enough vapor. I made a batch of one of my favorites, tpa peanut butter at 16% at 50/50 a month ago and it still hasn't turned very dark and the flavor is not as richt as the previous batches. I did make it with 8% tfa sweetener instead of my usual E.M. can E.M. make that much difference?

Thepinfamily

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Virginia
70pg/30vg is what I've landed on. If your looking for your ideal mix I'd suggest starting with a 50/50 mix. If that's perfect than your good if not decide what you want to change. If you want more flavor and throat hit move to more pg. If you want more vapor and a smoother vape move to more VG. You can also buy two samples of a juice you like, one 100%pg and one 100%vg. Then do a little mixing of the two and see what you like. Good luck. Once you find the juice and device that you like vaping becomes fantastic(er).

+1 on that. 50/50 often tastes harsh to me and not enough vapor. I made a batch of one of my favorites, tpa peanut butter at 16% at 50/50 a month ago and it still hasn't turned very dark and the flavor is not as richt as the previous batches. I did make it with 8% tfa sweetener instead of my usual E.M. can E.M. make that much difference?

IndyJones-

May I ask what tfa and E.M. mean? or tpa for that matter?

Almost all of mine is VG and water, or just VG. I have a few that are somewhere between 10 & 20% PG, and a few 50/50 blends. I found out (after ordering a ton of juice) that I'm really sensitive to PG.

VapnWitch-

In what way were you sensitive to PG? I'm curious as I have a friend who I would love to help get off of the analogs. Every time I get her to try any of my eCigs, any flavor so far, she seriously gags and coughs. Could it be the PG?

IndyJones-

May I ask what tfa and E.M. mean? or tpa for that matter?

VapnWitch-

In what way were you sensitive to PG? I'm curious as I have a friend who I would love to help get off of the analogs. Every time I get her to try any of my eCigs, any flavor so far, she seriously gags and coughs. Could it be the PG?

An educated guess would tell me it is the pg but who knows right ? PG gets used in fog machines and when i was a teenager or in my 20's, in a nightclub or something, that stuff dried out my throat something rotten. Just gave me a sore throat.

I don't use it personally. !00% vg all the way for me.

subversive

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2011
United States
I'm curious as I have a friend who I would love to help get off of the analogs. Every time I get her to try any of my eCigs, any flavor so far, she seriously gags and coughs. Could it be the PG?

That's normal. PG does give TH, but it takes time to adjust to vapor. It also requires a different inhalation technique than smoking. Eventually the coughing passes, just like it does when someone starts smoking for the first time. The difference is we aren't wrecking our lungs with vapor. VG will give less TH, but I think people should get adjusted to vaping first and try a wide range of percentages before settling on one or the other.

I use 100% PG. I love the TH, the consistency of the liquid, and the added life it gives to my cartomizers. Too much VG makes my chest feel heavy. I don't need all that vapor. I will use other percentages, even 100% VG, though, if a vendor has a flavor I really want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread