PG, VG, the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
I read somewhere that PG gives more throat hit and is a thinner liquid and that VG emphasizes on vapor production and is a thicker liquid. Other than that, what's the differences.

Should I use PG in my protank since it's thinner? I started off with totally wicked liquids and I don't know their mixtures. I'm thinking of buying from goodejuice and getting joyetech PG liquids.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
PG=Propylene Glycol. This should be USP Food Grade and is used in many everyday products on your grocery shelves and in hospitals and inhalation therapies, etc.
VG=Vegetable Glycerin and is also used in shampoos, soaps,etc. Should also be USP Food grade. I use both that are marked Kosher.
2 different products when combined together can give the best flavor and clouds of e vapor. It is a matter of preference. I use a 50/50 mix of the two.
google each to get more detailed explanations.
:)

zarach

Oct 12, 2013
Fort Lauderdale
Thats the major differences. There is also a minor (to me...ymmv) taste difference...vg adding a small cloying sweetness to flavors and pg being more transparent flavor-wise. Also of note is that some people have adverse reactions to pg. I began just mixing my own shorting after ditching the stink sticks for vapor and have settled on a 50/50 base although the final product is slightly higher in pg due to it being the primary transport agent in most of the flavoring I use.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
All good points in the previous posts. I will say that you can have wicking issues with the higher VG mixes. Some devices will just not wick 100% VG juice very well, and, frankly, the flavor is more muted to me, with the higher VG mixes. I mix a 60/40 PG/VG ratio on everything I DIY and dilute from 100 mg/ml nicotine bases. At first, though, I recommend using a base probably no higher than 36 mg/ml, until you are comfortable with the process. The higher Nicotine mixtures and considerably less expensive, particularly if you buy in bulk. I decided early on that I wanted to keep my juice costs low, and my hardware costs high, and now I have some decent gear. Good luck to you!

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
There is something for everyone. The mod/atty/juice combo is a lot of fun to chase around. So many options. I like 50/50, always works, good vapor for an ex pipe smoker. Throat hit depends a lot on the nicotine level. Works in anything I put it in. 8 watts and I am good to go. I like Totally Wicked's Patriot line, very tasty. You find what works for you. Good luck and have fun!

BGaulding

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Virginia, USA
I read somewhere that PG gives more throat hit and is a thinner liquid and that VG emphasizes on vapor production and is a thicker liquid. Other than that, what's the differences.

Should I use PG in my protank since it's thinner? I started off with totally wicked liquids and I don't know their mixtures. I'm thinking of buying from goodejuice and getting joyetech PG liquids.

I also use Totally Wicked. Here is a link about their PG/VG mix.. 2 Ounce PG or AG Pharmacopoeia Grade Diluents
It is mostly an 80/20 PG/VG mix depending on the labeled brand you use. There is a ton of info about their liquid on their forum. Here is the link for that. http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.com/forum/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread