Phidias celebration sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
New York
Definitely seems to be some break in required with these- I went through some stiffness with the feed and finckeyness with the switch too but it seems to be passing... really settling in with this thing after 24 hrs... and Fono - thanks for your responses to my pm's.... Great to have a dialoge with the designer who knows how this stuff was meant to work.

banjo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2010
Rio Oso, CA
Now that I've had my Phidias for a couple of days and learning how it functions, I'm really enjoying it. First, since it is gravity feed, and I'm using a relatively thick 50%PG/50&VG juice from FreedomSmokeUSA, I've learned that I need to hold the button in for the count 10 to allow it to properly feed the atty. Second, I have been using LR510 attys in my REO, so installed one on the Phidias. It burns much hotter in the Phidias - using the same 18650 UltraFire 3000 mAH battery - so hot that the flavor of the juice gets a little bitter. I changed to a regular 510 atty, which burns a little cooler, and the problem was solved - great taste, vapor, and TH. Just to check, I tried the LR510 atty and battery that I had on the Phidias on the REO and it was fine. So if you are having a problem with flavor and using an LR style atty, I would recommend using a regular atty. I'm not sure why the Phidias burns hotter than the REO, but it does - it would have to be, I suspect, a difference in the wiring and/or the switch. Once I figured all of this out, I'm now a very happy Phidias owner.
:toast:

Last edited:

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
The New Old West Pahrump Nevada
Right-on,

Personally I like a vape that scratches good---I was a hand rolled, Imported from Amsterdam, rough and tumble, 45 year veteran tobacco smoker...

God bless e-cigs, probably added years to my life expectancy...I sure feel better, and getting your sense of smell back is the worst of it--- LOL

I was so sure it smelled like roses...

I don't like strand wire seems awful flimsy, so all the wiring in your Phidias is beefy 20 Gage solid copper wire, 22 Gage to the atty center even, just to fix it in place...

I was told a while back by a customer who collects PVs that having tested every mod he owned mine the Phidias had the lowest resistance he had ever witnessed...

That's probably why it cooks like it does...I like that about it.

I don't stack batteries so I cannot comment on the 6v. thing, but it stands to reason it should be a little much...and so I'm not surprised.

I think once the new wears off you'll find more ways to work the feed system.

The swing and press, the thumb and forefinger fire feed--suck is such a borderline word for public consumption...

I've been getting some very nice e-mails, and would like to take a moment to thank you all so much for giving my PV a try...

Keep the comments coming..

And there's still two more at the sale price...

Best Regards
fono

oops---one more

Last edited:

Free2BMe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
IL
Just received my Phidias. Fono, I'm almost speechless and, trust me, that takes some doing. LOL Outstanding craftsmanship, love the feel when running my hand over it, love how it fits in my hand...the beauty of it almost makes me too scared to use it.

I'll give more feedback once I have time to admire and play but wanted to give a big THANK YOU for the Phidias!!!!

jimho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
New York
Switched over to 3.7V using a 17650 (waiting for 18650s to come in)- started out a bit hot till the battery dropped off from the initial 4.2V but then settled in nicely.... Another thing I learned is it helps to prime the atty from the top before you start or just set the unit upside down over a counter edge so the atty is pointed down for a few minutes... Also, maybe the High Octane from Drew is one of those thicker juices but I'm also finding 10 seconds on the feed and more frequent feeds are keeping the atty cooler. I do think there is something going on with the draw- perhaps the bottom feed tube is restricting some of the air flow as well. I'm sure the heavier gage wiring helps as well.

Now that i seem to have solved my burning taste problems and getting the feel for this, I'll test the CR123a's against 4.2 and 3.5 Ohms and will report back- will also double check the voltages at the connector and try and find a good solution for a tube to keep them in in the next day or so-

Despite trying I'm finding it hard to really flood the atty.
Fono- I suspect you outwitted us again with your design - weather intentional or not, - and this may just be a perception, from what I can tell once there's a certain amount of juice between the end of the needle and the coil, it gets sucked (drawn if you prefer) back in when you release the button....

WRT the 6V- using LiFePo4s they actually push more like 5.2V under load- measured off the connector -

BTW: I think "sucked" is only marginally acceptable in certain contexts - marginal when referring to a situation and could be over the edge if you are referring to a person... perfectly acceptable when talking about a vacuum cleaner or a straw, so why not here :)

PS: anyone using bridgeless attys finding a big difference?

Bradyo

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
FLORI-DUHH
I HAVE TOO admit that is one fire looking mod wish i could afford one at this time but cant.I was wondering the price point when not on sale and how can i get one i know you are not dealing with drew at inhaler anymore so are we going to be able to get them thru you???and how thru e-mail just wondering dont have a box mod yet and i really like yours so it would be my first box mod.....

joelongwood

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2010
East End of Long Island
I received my Feedimus just last week, and have been thoroughly impressed with not only the aesthetics and functionality of this mod, but also with the great communication and personal attention of its creator, fono. I had a few concerns with this mod when I first received it, and fono was extremely helpful with ultra-quick responses via e-mail, and addressed all my concerns. He had inadvertantly sent a different one from the one I had selected, and when I brought this to his attention, he offered a full refund or he would build me another one........my choice. Well, after mulling this over for awhile (and using the unit while I did so) I decided to stick with the one I had. It is just so beautiful. The varying wood grains are fantastic looking, and everything works as intended, including the button which has fired every time since I received it.
Like a few others that received theirs' recently, I also had a few problems at first. I followed the instructions to count to "four mississippi," but I was getting a burning taste and the atty still glowed red as it does in a dry burn. I primed the atty from the top and upped the count to ten mississippi.........problem solved. Now, after I've taken about 3 nice long pulls (at 3.7V), I flip the PWF downward and press lightly for about 5 seconds. Does the trick everytime.
As for the hard draw problem, which some are experiencing as well, I discovered that if I made sure the bottle was at the bottom of the box, and not pushed upwards, the draw became a normal 510 draw. If the bottle is pushed upwards in the box and remains there, I think the needle goes too far up into the atty and
impedes the draw, making it much stiffer.
All in all, I'm extremely happy with this mod. And there must be something to that Golden Ratio thing, because the "feel" of this in my hand is incredible. Not only the organic feel of the wood, but the dimensions are perfect as well. My other mods now feel rather strange in my hand.......and I think they're getting jealous. :D
Thank you, fono for creating this beautiful PV.

Last edited:

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Hi Bradyo,

Thanks for the comments and the post...

After some soul searching, some be cool now inner diologe to myself and the like I've settled on a price point of $145.00 (unit only) shipped.

Sure it's a little more than the "others" but I think I'm worth it.

I've have had my own high end Custom Design and Furnishings biz here for over 22 years now...

I'm a sole proprietor, there is no back-up, I do it all...

Duty calls, my clients are all saying, HEY!! what about us? we've been with you for years?

They're right, so I'm going to go design and build some cool stuff for them.

I do have Phidias stock on hand, I do have some special pieces, and I'm always around for repairs, returns, or user questions, service comes first with me, it's the right way to be...

You can skype me: fotalking2u

you can e-mail me: fonosmoak@embarqmail.com

or least effective PM me here...

what else?

O' yeah thanks for giving me and my PV a try...

That's so cool Free2Beme..nice!! smile
Thanks All
fono

I HAVE TOO admit that is one fire looking mod wish i could afford one at this time but cant.I was wondering the price point when not on sale and how can i get one i know you are not dealing with drew at inhaler anymore so are we going to be able to get them thru you???and how thru e-mail just wondering dont have a box mod yet and i really like yours so it would be my first box mod.....

PS. The Four Mississippi count works once your new bottle breaks in--next time you take it out massage it real good to soften it up and I think you'll see a BIG change....

regards
f

The pleasure is all mine Joelongwood--thanks man

Last edited:

jimho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
New York
suggestion for you guys having problems with burnt taste or excesively hot vape -
you are probably not getting enough juice through the needle because your bottle is still stiff.

place a paper towel on your counter top and remove the lid on your phidias...
Holding it over the towel upside down as depress the bottle firmly and hold it till it stops bubbling- that's one press.
Repeat till you flood the atty (you will loose a few drops out the tip)-
That's how it should work when it's broken in-
Now hold it over the towel and let it drain for a minute or so - put your lid back on and enjoy...

when your juice bottle is empty, just follow fono's instructions above.....

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Just had another thought,

I fix the battery contacts before the final oil bath, and only after everything sets do I install the 510 connector and the power button..

It just might be that the battery contacts have a glaze on them---those with seeming switch issues (never had a switch fail yet, in seven months of service) should take an emery board/nail file or fine sand paper and scuff your battery contacts just to be sure.

I'll add this step to all new Phidias orders before I send them...sorry for any incontinence this oversite may have caused.

I still seem to learn something everyday...
Thanks
fono

mianker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2010
USA
WOW, that's my first impression of my new Phidias. The craftmanship makes this PV a thing of beauty. Following a very brief and disappointing encounter with a box mod I vowed all my future PVs would be tubular. Then I happened on this thread and the Phidias photos were intriguing, the praise everyone gave upon receipt of their Phidias made a purchase tempting and Fono's responsiveness to everyone's inquirys and my PMs sealed the deal.

Today my Phidias arrived and as soon as I held it in my hand I knew this was not anything like holding the box mod I had owned. The warmth and lustrous finish of the wood truly feels right in my hand. It doesn't even seem as large as I had thought it would. Another concern I have is that my juice will be too thick as I use as close to 100% VG as possible but my initial impression is that it is feeding well.

The other thing I really like is I understand the design and the components. Everything is really neat and clean and the switch is awsome. I plan to do a review after I have used it long enough to have a more informed opinion on how it works for me. I do know that the 801 and 306 atties (which are my favorites) seem to be perfect with it. Currently I am waiting for my 18650 AW 3000 mAH batteries and using a 17670 battery which fits fine.

BoomBoom65

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Suffolk County, New York
Mine just arrived. Actually it was delivered to my husband's office this morning and he just "surprised" me with it. :) This is pretty impossible since I screwed up the whole payment of it - thank you phono.
BU! I have no battery. :(
I placed an order for batteries, atties and carts at MadVapes the night I posted here and they have not arrived yet.

All I have are batteries for my Joye 510 and an extra battery for my pass through which is ICR10440P 360mAh Joye 1003.

BadThad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2010
Cincinnati
Got mine today! It reminds me of the homemade stuff you buy in Kentucky! It's really a model of simplicity and really cool. I liked it right away. Unfortunately, being a noob to vaping (just started last week), I don't have a battery to test it yet, but that's on the way. I'll give my impressions on how it vapes and works as an everyday tool once I get the battery. Anyhow, here's some pictures and comments.

In the first pic you see the top of the unit. The craftsmanship is super nice, hardly any gaps and when there is some (like on the door), they are pretty tight.

In the second pic, you can see what it looks like with the door off. Everything is nice and tidy and fits nicely.

In the other pics you can see the electronics, or lack thereof, just a sweet and efficient setup, no bells/whistles....just like it was made in the hills of Kentucky. :2cool: There's very little to go wrong or malfunction. The bottle primer button seems to work fine. It has only the slightest gap where it goes into the door. I do worry about the rod eventually breaking, but it looks easy enough to replace. The PS is held in with a good bit of goop that should also serve to protect it in the event of leakage. It has an EXCELLENT feel to it, the switch is definately heavy-duty. I think it'd be the last thing to break, great choice in the PS!

One thing to beware, I removed the bottle and found a lot of debris in the bottom. Not a big deal, it all rinsed out fine with water, but you want to make sure yours is clean before you add your eL to it.

So far so good, I can't wait to vape with it. After I use it for a week or so I'll report back. :)

Attachments

• phi.jpg
    phi.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 157
  • phi1.jpg
    phi1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 167
  • phiAttyConnect.jpg
    phiAttyConnect.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 150
  • phiPosTerm.jpg
    phiPosTerm.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 142
  • phiSwitch.jpg
    phiSwitch.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
My impressions day 2:

About an hour or so into use and I managed to flood the atty. This is very good. Means I've finally managed to get the juice delivery figured out. Didn't flood it since that time but did have a much better time and a more flavorful vape.

Clobbered the button just like you said. All day use and no more sense of needing to hit the button 'just right' to get it to work. Simply fired every time I picked it up and used it. Perhaps there's a small burr in the switches as part of the manufacturing process that needs to be worked off. Regardless the switch performed flawlessly today.

Of course it still looks great and feels pretty nice in the hand for something that's so large. Its smaller than I expected but still feels large in my hand when I'm feeling my fibromyalgia pain.

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
That's great news bsoplinger,

I'm glad it's working for you now...

Well, I'm now officially SOLD OUT.

I'll leave the thread open for comments, questions etc...

I'm just so pleased with the great response, the kind words and that my Phidias is showing

some potential...

Thanks All
Best Regards
fono

Last edited:

BadThad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2010
Cincinnati
LOL! Ahhhh....come on, it's not that bad. My intent was to simply show the details of the device. There's nothing a little canned air won't take care of. Even though I have not yet vaped with it, I do like it. The real test is after living with it for a few months. There's nothing quite like the test of time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread