Pico, subohm, battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

greengemini

Feb 28, 2017
UK
Hey guys, recently got my istick Pico with the melo 3 mini tank. My coils are stock, 0.3ohms, I really like the vapor and flavour. I'm in wattage mode at 36w as my sweet spot.

I recently got the Samsung 30q battery, but then I started reading that it isn't so great for subohm?

My Pico reads my 0.3 coil as 0.25ohms, it's regulated so the volts are auto calculated, and using ohms law myself, everything turns out dandy. However, I read on a topic here, that anything below 0.3ohms needs a 30A battery and the specs for my battery says 15A. Even though my coil is rated as 0.3ohms, but reading as 0.25 (which I read is common on the Pico), should I perhaps invest in a 30a battery? And if so, can someone please recommend a reliable battery?

Thanks for your replies wise ones

Last edited:
Reactions: Foggy Road

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Unless you have a really crappy battery, the regulated mods tend to balance things out and have several safety features.

As pre-fab coil cartridges can be a bit finicky at times, so a 0.05 difference isn't a huge thing (again, with a regulated mod).

Personally I stick to batteries that are rated for 20A. And more and more, I stick to the LG HG2, I must have over a dozen across all the mods we have in my house and they've been extremely solid batteries.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
There is nothing wrong with continuing to use the 30Qs. The draw on a battery in a regulated mod is governed differently than a mech, so it's not Ohms law, but Watts law that applies. A=W/V (-10% for efficiency). To simplify things that works out to ~60W for a 20A battery. 36W is well under. And the resistance of your build does not come into consideration as the battery "never sees" the resistance, only the draw of the board (of course this is assuming the resistance is within the range of the mod, and your build can be enjoyed at the power setting you choose).

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Just a quick note about batteries, always stick to real brands, LG, Samsungs, Sony.

Anything with "Fire" or such secondary names are not battery makers, they rewrap the rejects from the brand names. This means that these secondary brands tend to put crazy numbers on their batteries, which cannot be trusted.

Note that the coils for the Melo 3 are the same cartridge types as about a dozen brands and models, and can be rebuilt very easily.

The Pico is a great little mod, but like most single battery mod, depending how much you vape, you might end up looking into dual battery mods that give you a huge difference in battery life... just wanted to give you a FYI that if you do that, make sure that you are aware that you have to "marry" a set of batteries (bought together, charged together, so that they are as even in capacity as possible, always used as a pair).

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
@greengemini

I use the 30Qs. No problem with those at all. It's all about the maths.... and trusting in science not gossip.

Whoever told you the 30Q isn't for subohm is making a bit of a big deal.

Anyway, you can never have too many batteries as long as they are stored well & safely (with decent charge) and/or rotated.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
@greengemini

I use the 30Qs. No problem with those at all. It's all about the maths.... and trusting in science not gossip.

Whoever told you the 30Q isn't for subohm is making a bit of a big deal.

Anyway, you can never have too many batteries as long as they are stored well & safely (with decent charge) and/or rotated.

I'm guessing the person that told him about the 30Qs was thinking and going with "don't take a chance", especially with all the bad press and accidents... and honestly at 15A, personaly, I do consider that a bit low for sub-ohming and wouldn't use such (nor buy).

Should someone throw these in a mech with a sub-ohm that's low enough, we'd have another news story....

If I had such low A batteries, I'd throw them into my flashlights... :p

I go with "rather safe than sorry".... but that's just me, and I take in consideration that when new, batteries are probably just fine, but their capacity is reduced in time, so after enough uses, they might end up getting pretty darn low and it could end up being risky.

Last edited:
Reactions: greengemini

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
To help you here's a list of batteries tested and recommended by Mooch, vaping's battery expert. As @mongo74 has pointed out, there are lots of counterfeits rolling around as it's easy to rewrap a battery and sell it as an authentic. There is a list of vendors at the bottom of reliable vendors, but of course being in the UK, you should go with reliable sources there. Note that the tested CDRs are generally more reliable than manufacturers' claims
Battery Chart.jpeg

greengemini

Feb 28, 2017
UK
Hehe I'm a woman ;) thanks for all your replies!

Well, I've ordered the LG batteries, so I can just rotate those, as you said better to be safe since I'm subohming. Cant hurt to have some extra amps. I got them from redjuice.co.uk

You have me worried they could be counterfeit now haha :( the site has lots of great reviews, although I know this doesn't mean that they aren't selling counterfeit batteries knowingly or unknowingly. I stay away from Amazon and ebay for such things and I only charge externally in my efest luc.

I actually read a post on here with regards to the amps being too low for subohm and when it gets to 0.3ohm it's wise to increase the amps, not sure if the post was to do with regulated mods or not, but it got me wondering. I really love this set up at the moment, and want to stay with 0.3ohms, just wanna be safe :)

LemonVapeFreak

Feb 26, 2017
Hey guys, recently got my istick Pico with the melo 3 mini tank. My coils are stock, 0.3ohms, I really like the vapor and flavour. I'm in wattage mode at 36w as my sweet spot.

I recently got the Samsung 30q battery, but then I started reading that it isn't so great for subohm?

My Pico reads my 0.3 coil as 0.25ohms, it's regulated so the volts are auto calculated, and using ohms law myself, everything turns out dandy. However, I read on a topic here, that anything below 0.3ohms needs a 30A battery and the specs for my battery says 15A. Even though my coil is rated as 0.3ohms, but reading as 0.25 (which I read is common on the Pico), should I perhaps invest in a 30a battery? And if so, can someone please recommend a reliable battery?

I just got the Pico too. The dude at shop recommended the baby beast tank as I said i like to switch flavors a lot. I just started using the Melo that came with it, though cuz I got stuck on one flavor for a week. I was wondering if you think the Melo goes through juice quickly? I'm still really new at this but I'm using 70vg in both tanks but I can empty Melo twice as fast as baby beast.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hehe I'm a woman ;) thanks for all your replies!

Well, I've ordered the LG batteries, so I can just rotate those, as you said better to be safe since I'm subohming. Cant hurt to have some extra amps. I got them from redjuice.co.uk

You have me worried they could be counterfeit now haha :( the site has lots of great reviews, although I know this doesn't mean that they aren't selling counterfeit batteries knowingly or unknowingly. I stay away from Amazon and ebay for such things and I only charge externally in my efest luc.

I actually read a post on here with regards to the amps being too low for subohm and when it gets to 0.3ohm it's wise to increase the amps, not sure if the post was to do with regulated mods or not, but it got me wondering. I really love this set up at the moment, and want to stay with 0.3ohms, just wanna be safe :)

A few things.

Redjuice are reliable. No worries there.
ebay is actually a GOOD place to buy batteries if you know where to look as the top 2 vendors I/we use both sell through ebay.
1. Torchy
2. Ecolux

You can flip a coil or go on price. Torchy and Ecolux both sold a pair for £10 or £11 at Vapefest.
A pair at the moment is more like £13 online.
Actually, Ecolux sell 3 x "chocolate" LGs for £15 which is a great deal i.m.o.

You will be fine using a Samsung 30Q with a 0.3ohm coil using a Pico. If it really is a 20a battery, that makes it even more safe to say that.

Reactions: Eskie

greengemini

Feb 28, 2017
UK
I'm using the melo 3 mini, and yeah I drain juice really quickly. I only use high vg, I'm on a 70/30 at the moment with 6mg nicotine. Not sure how it is on other tanks. But on all builds subohm equals more vapor, which drains more juice, and I fill up my 2ml tank often. I actually just bought the 4ml melo, so I'm gonna use that with a new juice in. I think juice and battery drain is inevitable with subohm builds :)

Thanks for the tip on ebay! I'll make a note of those sellers. Great, I'll keep the 30q's in rotation too, and it's good to know that redjuice.co.uk are reliable, I really like their site, they have literally everything on there.

Wowowiee, you're all so kind here, I appreciate all of your replies!

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
I just got the Pico too. The dude at shop recommended the baby beast tank as I said i like to switch flavors a lot. I just started using the Melo that came with it, though cuz I got stuck on one flavor for a week. I was wondering if you think the Melo goes through juice quickly? I'm still really new at this but I'm using 70vg in both tanks but I can empty Melo twice as fast as baby beast.
Isn't the Melo a smaller capacity tank 2ml- maybe that is why you empty the Melo quicker? Plus in the Melo I use a 1.0Ω coil, put a different drip tip( tighter draw) and it will last a while for me, when I use it on a single 18650 battery device- also lowering the watts will help conserve juice.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined. This may help you understand batteries a little better.
Might like to read:
18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor

LemonVapeFreak

Feb 26, 2017
Isn't the Melo a smaller capacity tank 2ml- maybe that is why you empty the Melo quicker? Plus in the Melo I use a 1.0Ω coil, put a different drip tip( tighter draw) and it will last a while for me, when I use it on a single 18650 battery device- also lowering the watts will help conserve juice.
Yes it's a 2ml but so is baby beast that was my only point of reference, not thinking about the coils being diff n all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread