PIF DIY - Q&A and this and that and just DIY chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

loxmythe

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
pa
Can someone help me out. I want to make my own flavors. Do I just take some lemon peels or vanilla beans or whatever and put it in a jar of PG And let it go to work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Best place to start is in the DIY section of ECF. It's possible to extract your own flavors but it's really not that easy. There's lots of info there on various methods of extraction and also things to avoid. I'd imagine lemon would be difficult and potentially a disaster due to the oils and acidity. Vanilla can be done I just don't know how off the top if my head.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Nicotine
I have been entirely happy with GoodProphets, RTS Vapes, and MyFreedomSmokes nicotine base.

Since everyone has their nic solution choices depending on taste, which one DOES NOT have any pepperty taste or tobacco like taste?

I dislike that, as I only make dessert flavors and some light fruits, and I could often taste an underlying tobacco like or peppery taste in the vendor nic I am using now.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
We'll I've been from thread to thread and everyone says go this thread go to that thread an the last one said I come here and talk to you. So. Forget it. I will figure it out on my own an when someone asks me for help I will tell then to go somewhere else.

But loxmythe did just answer you. :blink:

And the DIY section of the ECF forum is HUGE. Anyone looking for easy answers, or immediate gratification, well you can't just make DIY if you want that. I have been reading on the DIY forum for 6 months.

Do the work, it will pay off. Read, take notes, ask questions, and then offer up your own insights when you have them. If you manage to extract from lemon peels, please share.

I want to make my own flavors. Do I just take some lemon peels or vanilla beans or whatever and put it in a jar of PG And let it go to work?

Have you already made a lot of DIY with ready made flavorings, so that you sort of *understand* flavorings and flavoring concepts? If not, maybe try that first, before getting into making your own flavorings, which is really much more advanced.

It sounds like you want it to be a lot simpler, and unfortunately, making your own flavorings is not.

I would encourage you to just do some regular DIY first so you get a feel for what it is all about. So tell us what your experiences have been so far?

Last edited:

loxmythe

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
pa
We'll I've been from thread to thread and everyone says go this thread go to that thread an the last one said I come here and talk to you. So. Forget it. I will figure it out on my own an when someone asks me for help I will tell then to go somewhere else.

With the exception of tobacco, coffee, tea, and vanilla (which there's dozens of methods posted in the DIY section) I've honestly never heard of anyone trying to extract food. I'm not being evasive or giving you a hard time. I honestly don't know or I'd tell you. The members here in Pif have always helped if they could with recipes and advice and I'm sure if someone knew they'd tell you how. You could always be the pioneer and try it and let us know your results. Commercially available flavorings are very inexpensive and known to be safe for consumption. I have no idea nor would I take a guess on what extracting food will produce as far as oils, acids, or other by products or if it would mold or spoil over time. While pg should prohibit spoilage to some extent I have no idea if the natural sugars or other things would overcome that property. I also have no idea what these type of extractions would do as far as gunking up coils and attys.

kittyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2011
Indiana, US
Ok, query for anyone who has done it! (Yes, it's probably covered in DIYland, but I am scared to leave PIF often, thank ya much!)

What I have read about the start of tea and coffee extractions sounds a lot like overbrewing.

I know doing that with coffee or tea you plan to drink would end up with a filmy oil layer of nasty. Is this less noticeable when you're after a very concentrated flavoring? Or am I skipping over an important 'skim stuff off and hope for the best' step somewhere or what?

loxmythe

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
pa
Since everyone has their nic solution choices depending on taste, which one DOES NOT have any pepperty taste or tobacco like taste?

I dislike that, as I only make dessert flavors and some light fruits, and I could often taste an underlying tobacco like or peppery taste in the vendor nic I am using now.

I've always used goodprophets but he's stopped carrying it :( hopefully Mark or someone will help us out :)

GtrSoloist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2010
USA
Thanks for the info guys, Mark you were extremely detailed and I thank you for it. All I can ask for is what works for each person who has or is doing it, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel. I did DIY years ago for a while, but it was your basic: PG + VG + NIC + Flavors, and again it was YEARS ago.

I knew when I posted that first message that I left it WAY too open ended, but I wanted opinions. Sometimes there IS a consensus on what to use, and sometimes more importantly, what NOT to use. :)

Thanks again guys, I'm sure I will have more questions down the road... I'm trying to restrain myself from buying a ton of DIY stuff right now. :)

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Can someone help me out. I want to make my own flavors. Do I just take some lemon peels or vanilla beans or whatever and put it in a jar of PG And let it go to work?

Hopefully this will help you. I quoted myself because I was too lazy to retype it all :) I created this method for coffee and tea. It works very well.

I make coffee extractions. The person in the post above was talking about me :)

Take a 30 ml glass bottle. Fill it 1/2 way with coffee grounds and 1/2 way with PG.
Nuke in the microwave on hi for 10 seconds but, no longer. The PG will have been absorbed by the coffee grounds at this point.
Refill bottle to top with PG
Fill a coffee cup with hot water.
Place bottle containing mixture in the coffee cup of hot water
Let sit for about 30 minutes
Using a paper coffee filter, strain mixture through the filter into a cup ( I use a chip clip to keep filter in place
Let the mixture sit in the paper filter for about an hour or 2 while the liquid drains into the cup
Transfer the liquid to a bottle for storage.

There you have it. I use 3-5% of the extracted flavor to make my ejuice and it will taste just like the coffee. I love experimenting with different flavored coffee using this method.

Good luck!

ETA- This also works with tea :)

Last edited:

JJ1977

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thanks for the info guys, Mark you were extremely detailed and I thank you for it. All I can ask for is what works for each person who has or is doing it, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel. I did DIY years ago for a while, but it was your basic: PG + VG + NIC + Flavors, and again it was YEARS ago.

I knew when I posted that first message that I left it WAY too open ended, but I wanted opinions. Sometimes there IS a consensus on what to use, and sometimes more importantly, what NOT to use. :)

Thanks again guys, I'm sure I will have more questions down the road... I'm trying to restrain myself from buying a ton of DIY stuff right now. :)
I am playing with different vendors to see whos better off for new diy'ers, because it was very frustrating to me when i started. im working on my 5th vendor now so far i narrowed it down to 2 but everyone is not going to say the same, everyone has different tastebuds IMHO. when i get this last shipment in and i play with it for a month ill give you more info GtrSoloist, it might be of some use down the road for yourself and other diy'ers who are considering jumping into diy's. but in the end it all comes down to what you like and how your tastebuds react to flavors again JMHO

Vash

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
ethervapes.com
Simple mix : Lets call it Vashtastic Bears shall we ! :D

TFA Gummi Candy 4%
TFA Tutti Fruitti 6%
2 Drops EM per 10ml

Very good Gummi Bear mix and can be tweaked by adding other TFA fruits if you want one flavor to stand out more.Just add additional 2-3 % of what ever other fruit to make it stand out more and lower the TFA Tutti Fruitti by the same amount.

Also if you vape high VG just up each flavor by 2% except the EM maybe just extra drop per 10mls.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread