Pipe Tobacco Extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

riddlesmyth

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
Earth
margotqueen.tumblr.com
Hey sup guys...Now upto getting the best flavors Iv loved hole life rather than smoking cigarettes...Have these pipe tobaccos, you may know >

BorkumRiffCherryCavendish-900x900.jpg

flying_1.jpg

Now question...How can I get the flavor asap? tobacco extraction what I'm saying...what is the quickest way? I'v tried microwaving but it totally destroys the original taste, but something like tobacco remains...I can't wait for 24 hours to mix the tobacco with water, my situation is critical, first day of quitting, past 22:19 hours, in 2 hours my first day of quitting...Can you please help me?

Also one question, will it be safe? vaping tobacco extract from pipe tobacco

I had an idea, like in a cup put some pure vg with tobacco, wait for 5-6 mins then mix it with more vg....idk....rocket science to me, please lemmi know, whatever the best...and also extracting cigarette tobacco will be the same as smoking it? That thing took everything away from my life....So I don't think that extraction will do as it contains those chemicals. Lemmi know, thanks for reading :)

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Sorry riddle, but there is no quick way to extract tobacco, although I remember a very old thread where someone extracted flavor using pg mixed with a bit of water. As I recall they had decent results using heat as an aid.

You can get a lot of info on various methods of extraction from different threads on this forum. The most effective way is in terms of flavor is alcohol extraction, but you will need patience.

Tobacco extraction using heated Ethanol

Reactions: riddlesmyth

riddlesmyth

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
Earth
margotqueen.tumblr.com
although I remember a very old thread where someone extracted flavor using pg mixed with a bit of water. As I recall they had decent results using heat as an aid.

And Iv used the same method as a quicky, but with VG with no heat, Heat destroys the original flavor, What I did, Mixed water with my Borkum Riff tobacco, waited 5mins, took the liquid, mixed wid vg 80/20...Tastes exactly like my pipe...Sudden success....Here alcohol is a banned item, and if even I was able to buy those than that means I can afford 2 kanger subox starter lol, that costly...Anyway got 150ml liquid ready now, which exactly tastes like my fav pipe tobacco :)

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    That is a known technique but normally the cold soak is 4-6 weeks and it is then filtered at 1 micron or so. No water. Heat can speed it up but not very hot. Search this site for much more info, one thread: Best tobacco for flavor extraction

P.S. naturally extracted flavors typically have insignificant nicotine.

Last edited:

Exchaner

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 29, 2013
    California
    You managed to arouse my curiosity to see if water will do a good job of extraction, and was pleasantly surprised. The flavor was really good, and compared to other methods, the results were decent. I tried it with Burley tobacco, and got plenty of flavor at 15%. The liquid was clear and did not require filtering as other methods do. And best of all, it was much faster than using pg or alcohol for extraction. I was also surprised to learn that the final mix did not require any steeping either. Shake and vape !! But of course I am sure the flavor will get better with time.

I may set aside all other methods of extraction and use this simple technique exclusively. Thanks man for suggesting the idea. I was skeptical at first, but now I am a believer!!

riddlesmyth

ECF Veteran
    Aug 11, 2016
    Earth
    margotqueen.tumblr.com
    You managed to arouse my curiosity to see if water will do a good job of extraction, and was pleasantly surprised. The flavor was really good, and compared to other methods, the results were decent. I tried it with Burley tobacco, and got plenty of flavor at 15%. The liquid was clear and did not require filtering as other methods do. And best of all, it was much faster than using pg or alcohol for extraction. I was also surprised to learn that the final mix did not require any steeping either. Shake and vape !! But of course I am sure the flavor will get better with time.

I may set aside all other methods of extraction and use this simple technique exclusively. Thanks man for suggesting the idea. I was skeptical at first, but now I am a believer!!
    Just don't use cigg tobacco, you're good to go...shake n vape, no science fiction....best of luck with your DIY Project....Taste anything you want! [emoji4]

Sent from my iris510 using Tapatalk

Mark Elkins

Moved On
    Aug 11, 2016
    Upstate New York
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Multiple accounts are not permitted on ECF.

Mark Elkins

Moved On
    Aug 11, 2016
    Upstate New York
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Multiple accounts are not permitted on ECF.

mansis

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 26, 2015
    Costa Mesa,CA
    I used Cornell & Diehl Mississippi Mud in a 30 ml bottle, let it soak for a day in filtered water that I drink, using a syringe took 2.5 ml sample, no filtration, mixed with pg=5mg vg=5mg . That would be 20% water extract, 40% pg and 40% vg. My usual mix with pg maceration is 70/30 and I added more vg to thicken my juice due to 20% water mix. Vaped 2ml in a Kayfun mini V3 and then another 2ml Taifun GS2. No ageing of extract or juice. With KF flavor was fine and toward the end a bit loss of flavor, due to gunk. With GS2, it vaped well the 2ml all the way. I am filtering the remaining now @ 2.5 micron. I can vape approximately 4ml in each with cold pg maceration. As well my Mississippi Mud has been soaking for over 2 months now in pg. I will compare flavors when pg extract gets ready in less than a month, since without side by side comparison, I can't be sure of flavor quality.Up to now the flavor seems fine and it's a joyful vape.

Reactions: 67Tele

Exchaner

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 29, 2013
    California
    I used Cornell & Diehl Mississippi Mud in a 30 ml bottle, let it soak for a day in filtered water that I drink,

I heard somewhere that leaving tobacco in water more than 15 minutes is not advisable since bacteria begin to develop. I have no way to verify that for sure, but it seems reasonable. Besides, I am getting plenty of flavor with only a 10 minute soak.

Reactions: mansis

mansis

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 26, 2015
    Costa Mesa,CA
    I heard somewhere that leaving tobacco in water more than 15 minutes is not advisable since bacteria begin to develop. I have no way to verify that for sure, but it seems reasonable. Besides, I am getting plenty of flavor with only a 10 minute soak.
    Yes I read it too, though not sure about the duration. I tested the smell after half and hour and I was shocked but couldn't believe it will vape well, that's why I kept it more. Now that I have 2 confirmations, I'm going with 10 minutes next time.

mansis

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 26, 2015
    Costa Mesa,CA
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Let us know what difference the filtration makes. Sounds too good to be true!

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    Same as pg extraction, was able to vape 4 ml with lot of popping and cracklings. Toward the end I had residue of gunk in my tank. Flavor almost the same a bit weaker . Got to see what happens to my extract/ juice after ageing.

Reactions: aceswired

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2015
    London
    I'm sitting here vaping on a juice made from 'Old Holborn' (a strong RYO 'baccy from UK that was My smoke for 30yrs..), had to try it as I'm usually cold-macerating in PG for like, 2 months!..
    Not bad considering it's taken 10 mins! Flavour's not as pronounced as the long soak stuff, & I'm using 30%,as per My usual mixes; BUT, I notice that You used aromatic pipe 'baccy. I've found that long (ie. 2 month) macerations destroy the flavour of the casings/toppings from aromatics so I'll deffo be trying this method with an aromatic! Thanks for sharing!

Exchaner

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 29, 2013
    California
    I used lukewarm water to soak my tobacco for ten minutes, and then evaporated the extract approximately 20%. Used a shallow bowl next to a fan approx three hours. Quite honestly, I got plenty of flavor even at 15%. I suppose it depends on what type of tobacco you are extracting. Mine was Burley; other tobaccos might yield different results.

It should be possible to evaporate the extract by even more - say 80%. The more you evaporate, the less extract you will need in your final mix. The only concern is, whether the flavor molecules will also evaporate with the water. I kind of doubt it because flavor molecules may not be that volatile.

SCOTT-3

ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2012
    london u.k
    Just had to try, nothing to calculated, handful of oscuro, + seco filler+dark Virginia, 15min soak & stir in purified water, filtered with Buchner & pump with whatman 540 ashless filters 3 times, at 15% plus nic/vg placed in mag /mixer, total time 2hours, i have me a fantastic cig/cigar flavour, after years of other methods this one is tops,
    thumb's up to o/p.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread