Plastic tubing/cap retaining flavors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

springfling

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2011
Pennsylvania
Do you worry that vaping strong flavors in the Reo Mini will result in not being able to get that taste out of the plastic parts? Has anyone had a problem with the plastic tube and/or cap on their Reo mini absorbing flavors? How do you clean it? I'm a mostly coffee/waffle type vaper but I put some strawberry cheesecake in it a couple of days ago. Everything after that had that bad strawberry taste (and yes, I did put on a different atomizer). I flushed the tube and still had trouble until I managed to get the O ring off and flush the cap a few times. It still had that strawberry taste for another day. Now I'm afraid to put different flavors in for fear that they will mess up my usual vapes! I can't imagine putting something like atomic cinnacide in there. I really love this mod but I do wish it was easy to put in new tubing and a new cap. Any advice appreciated!

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
The classifieds blue Mini I picked up months ago had so much retained tobacco odor that the box leaked the odor before it was opened. The Mini itself had been well cared for and everything was pristine. The main culprit, I found, was the o-ring in the top of the cap. After lots of soaking, the whole Mini, in 99.9% iso alcohol, it still had the sour, to me, tobacco odor. Not until I took the o-ring out of the cap, and soaked it and the cap well, did it clear out. There may have been a little trapped under the o-ring. I took the bottle off and soaked it after removing the o-ring. For the tube you can fill the bottle with your choice of alcohol and then fill the cup and tube so that all of the parts are bathing in the alcohol.

I like to use 99.9% iso for some cleaning, used for cleaning electrical components, as it has few impurities to be left behind and PGA for other cleanings. I think the iso was better for taking the odor out of the softer material o-ring.

Alice

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
I got a Grand in a trade ... It was supposed to be brand new .... It might have been, but I think it was sent back to Rob for the new firing pin. I think Rob might drip some in the cup to test them afterwards :)

So the tubing and cap looked brand new, but the cup was kinda sticky and I could swear there was some Havana Gold flavor kicking around for the first two days. Maybe my imagination.

Either way, I don't think I will be picking up many more "used" mods.
Just a classic REO maybe :)

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
Either way, I don't think I will be picking up many more "used" mods.
Just a classic REO maybe :)

A REO Classic own once by the "MAN" himself. Still cranking clouds of vapor. :)

reoclassic.jpg

Last edited:

Illustrated_Man

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2010
Rochester, NY
Looking at this, I think the O-ring can be eliminated with the 6ml bottles just by cutting the nozzle part of the dropper tip that fits the bottle off and removing the core of it. That'll provide a proper shoulder for the tube/cap assembly to seal onto, and get rid of the O-ring, which is the part that likely retains flavors the most. Just throwing this out there.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Looking at this, I think the O-ring can be eliminated with the 6ml bottles just by cutting the nozzle part of the dropper tip that fits the bottle off and removing the core of it. That'll provide a proper shoulder for the tube/cap assembly to seal onto, and get rid of the O-ring, which is the part that likely retains flavors the most. Just throwing this out there.
I don't see how that's possible w/o a leak. Have you done this? Pictures?

debb

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
in the nj woods
The classifieds blue Mini I picked up months ago had so much retained tobacco odor that the box leaked the odor before it was opened. The Mini itself had been well cared for and everything was pristine. The main culprit, I found, was the o-ring in the top of the cap. After lots of soaking, the whole Mini, in 99.9% iso alcohol, it still had the sour, to me, tobacco odor. Not until I took the o-ring out of the cap, and soaked it and the cap well, did it clear out. There may have been a little trapped under the o-ring. I took the bottle off and soaked it after removing the o-ring. For the tube you can fill the bottle with your choice of alcohol and then fill the cup and tube so that all of the parts are bathing in the alcohol.

I like to use 99.9% iso for some cleaning, used for cleaning electrical components, as it has few impurities to be left behind and PGA for other cleanings. I think the iso was better for taking the odor out of the softer material o-ring.

Alice

good to know...thanks alice..:)

Illustrated_Man

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2010
Rochester, NY
I don't see how that's possible w/o a leak. Have you done this? Pictures?

Well, it was just theory until you asked. So here goes, the three pictures from first to last are the dropper tip pulled from the bottle, followed by the dropper tip with the dropper portion removes, and then the cut dropper tip installed in the bottle. As you see, the dropper tip provides a much more solid, regular surface. And yes, when a cap(standard, or the REO feed cap) is screwed down firmly onto the shoulder provided by the cut dropper tip, it does seal properly.

qcTsY.jpg

f8UfA.jpg

m6Ogj.jpg

Illustrated_Man

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2010
Rochester, NY
Very neat solution, pharmboy. I will get around to trying that soon.

So you just hack off the dripper tip and that's it?

That's about it. You don't even have to cut off that much of it, just so the the tube will go through, although, the more you cut off, the easier it is. Just have to make sure the sealing shoulder of the dropper tip stays intact.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Great method. We don't have issues with the bottles leaking while in use on the Reos but when carrying spare bottles. I tried putting a #47 o-ring in the spare bottle, for carrying it as an extra and it just pushed up into the top. Your method, pharmboy, will be perfect. So far the only way we've found to keep them from leaking while being carried as a spare is to leave the drip tip on, but them you have the messy drip tip to deal with when you take it off to put in Reo.

So, thanks for a great solution.

Alice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread