Play the market contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
Thank you for the fun contest - I only participate in one or two others occasionally, but I keep coming back to this one every week - it's the only contest I don't mind losing because it's fun either way!

Regarding the "sniping" - maybe it's deliberate, or maybe it's not. I can see how easy it would be to "snipe" another member's guess without realizing it, unless you went back and read all the posts first. I have tried to not "snipe" another member, but it does takes a bit of time and effort.

Suggestion - this might help? Ask members to post their guesses with a specific preface for each contest. This way maybe we can search the thread for that specific preface, which should give us a list of all guesses for that week's contest.

Example: Require next weeks contest entries to be prefaced with "Contest 99 Entry" so I would post this:

****************************************************************************************
Contest 99 Entry $123.45 (But of course this won't win LOL)
****************************************************************************************

Entries without the preface could either be disqualified, or at least not allowed to complain if they get sniped :)

Reactions: traderljp

Slowone2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Virginia
Looks like Crude Oil closed at $57.15 today according to P0P's source, but I will wait for official confirmation.

To be honest, I thought it would go down but my guesses have been in the wrong direction so this week I guessed opposite (up) and planned on going with $57.10 and settled on $57.01. There's no reason to thumbs me down.
I think the reason for the thumbs down is that you consistently wait until the last minute of posting to place an amount, and always go .01cent over others. This week it worked well for you.... Had you posted your amount at the beginning of the week no one would give a thumbs down- sniping at the last second ruins the game for many, and is inconsiderate to other players and friends. I enjoyed this contest a lot until I realized the same people snipe in their bets at the last minute week after week giving those who post early the only chance to win if they guess the exact amount. Now it's not quite so much fun. But hey if it bugs me enough I don't have to play right......

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
I think a good rule would be to establish a boundary. Say 10 cents for example. If someone picks $1.57 they have from $1.57 to $1.66 as their pick (10 cents). If the next highest pick is $2.00 then the $1.57 would have the added room to the next highest pick of $2.00. If someone after the $1.57 pick selects $1.60, then their pick ($1.60) wouldn't count. (I used a dime because a quarter would only fit 4 people inside a dollar.) Just a thought.

This is a very entertaining contest.

Ending the picks on Wednesday like POP suggested could also help.

Congrats Greenleaf.

Slowone2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Virginia
Yep ending on Wednesday sounds good but I still find it ridiculous that the same people wait until the last minute and snipe a bid one cent over someone else. If it was a new person playing then they may have an excuse, but the same people doing it week after week is being totally unfair to the rest of us. Sure I could also wait until the last 30 seconds to post my bid amount as well but it is wrong to do that in so many ways. Not going to change some people cause they will do anything to win. Only hope that Pop will do something to make it more fair, or we all start waiting until the last seconds to post.

I really enjoyed this contest until the same people continued to do this, and make excuses as to why they continually wait till the last seconds and post one cent over

Reactions: mac63

kathi17

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Stonington, ME, USA
Thank you for the fun contest - I only participate in one or two others occasionally, but I keep coming back to this one every week - it's the only contest I don't mind losing because it's fun either way!

Regarding the "sniping" - maybe it's deliberate, or maybe it's not. I can see how easy it would be to "snipe" another member's guess without realizing it, unless you went back and read all the posts first. I have tried to not "snipe" another member, but it does takes a bit of time and effort.

Suggestion - this might help? Ask members to post their guesses with a specific preface for each contest. This way maybe we can search the thread for that specific preface, which should give us a list of all guesses for that week's contest.

Example: Require next weeks contest entries to be prefaced with "Contest 99 Entry" so I would post this:

Contest 99 Entry $123.45 (But of course this won't win LOL)

Entries without the preface could either be disqualified, or at least not allowed to complain if they get sniped :)

I don't remember everyone's amounts either. I just look at the charts, and the highs and lows, and choose a number that sounds good to me. Now it kind of worries me that I might snipe accidentally.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I don't remember everyone's amounts either. I just look at the charts, and the highs and lows, and choose a number that sounds good to me. Now it kind of worries me that I might snipe accidentally.
yeah, that's why I suggested a preface for each entry - it would make it easier for those of us who really don't want to snipe. (it would make sniping easier too I guess, but then it would be pretty obvious that it was deliberate, and who wants to be THAT guy?)

P0P

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
C'Ville Virginia
momandpopvaporshop.com
This sucks hows that:) JMO

Thanks to all the hot shots! for the brain work! but more important!!! I thank you members and vendors that really make this stuff possible! hahahaaa this feels gooouuud bless you ECF :)

This is my opinion as a person that played in the street and not on a computer ( normal)

Let the games begin LOL:)

Last edited:

P0P

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
C'Ville Virginia
momandpopvaporshop.com
I would not mind some input with regards to the contest! (this is not about getting more customer's) Contest can be a nightmare, we have all seen it, most posting are very high ranking members in this thread so lets talk about it, we are on short notice though :) DING DING! Monday is on its way! I do have some ideas hahaaa! but its always more fun sitting at the kitchen table and discussing whats in one's mind. :thumbs:
:)

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
what do'es snipe mean?

It's the old "The Price Is Right" trick of figuring out who already has the best guess and guessing 1 penny above them. Now the other person has to get the price EXACTLY right to win.

Back in the days when I actually watched The Price Is Right, I saw a LOT of people win using this method. It fell within the rules of the game though, so it was a legitimate play, I guess. But here, I think it's making the game less fun for some of the players (especially those who don't want to wait until the last minute to post their guess -- the earlier you post your guess, the higher your chances of getting sniped)

P0P

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
C'Ville Virginia
momandpopvaporshop.com
I cant wait to re-vamp the current,(rules) is it not called fine tune :) No snipe stuff! :) its our job to be creative, its all part of being a member and participating weather its this or modding what ever. I honestly choose to think we are the same team. Oh and i do TRY to leave politics out of it( some sensitive folk) as that has become a JOKE!! LOL lets play the Market its a learning thing :)

GreenLeaf

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
Texas, USA
Yep ending on Wednesday sounds good but I still find it ridiculous that the same people wait until the last minute and snipe a bid one cent over someone else. If it was a new person playing then they may have an excuse, but the same people doing it week after week is being totally unfair to the rest of us. Sure I could also wait until the last 30 seconds to post my bid amount as well but it is wrong to do that in so many ways. Not going to change some people cause they will do anything to win. Only hope that Pop will do something to make it more fair, or we all start waiting until the last seconds to post.

I really enjoyed this contest until the same people continued to do this, and make excuses as to why they continually wait till the last seconds and post one cent over

I don't understand why somebody needs an "excuse" to play by the rules of a contest a very generous vendor has provided? There are guesses that are 2-4 cents more than a previous guess so apparently you have a problem with only one cent "price is right" guesses.

FYI no "sniper" has won this contest before and it has not given any unfair advantage. Ending entries on Wednesday would be the same thing, nobody knows what the closing price will be it's completely random. That's what makes this contest fun. OK Slowone2, since we cannot guess the same price as was already guessed, and according to you we shouldn't guess once cent more than a previous guess, what is an acceptable amount to guess more? Should we be required to search for weekly guesses and guess in between? 5 cents more? What would satisfy you?

Thank you for the contest and your generosity P0P! :)

Reactions: P0P

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
Setting such a "must be at least X more than any previous guesses" would be cumbersome, and no fun. And I'd hate to see P0P have to police such a rule.

Sniping has been fair game, and completely within the rules. So I don't think anyone is accusing anyone of being unfair or cheating. I honestly don't even know who sniped what -- only that it was something I tried to not do, because I know how it would feel to have it done to me.

Anyway, P0P already indicated he's probably going to end it on Wed night instead of Thurs night, so that should make it more fun for all.

Can't wait to see what's up next!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread