Please be careful if you drip or refill your SS cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigblue30

ECF Veteran
I know a lot of people on ECF understand everything about dripping, refilling cartomizers, cleaning attys, and all of the cool stuff we can do with e-cigs and e-liquid.

ECF members are the minority of people that own SmokeStiks, because for the most part, the customers of SS have no interest in any of that. They buy the cartos, use them up, and throw them away.

Having said that, I know that some of you are probably refilling your SmokeStik cartomizers.

However, you need to understand this. If you continue to purchase our SS products, we warranty your batteries for LIFE...IF you use them as intended.

Let me give you an example of why or when we will not honor that warranty. When we receive it back on a warranty claim, we of course look at it to see what might have failed so that we can understand what problems might be cropping up, if any.

The picture below is an example of one of the few ways that your SS warranty will be voided. This is an actual return that I inspected upon its receipt.

The customer's complaint was that the battery had a very short life and a replacement was requested.

As you can see from this picture, the customer was apparently refilling/dripping our SS product. What happens when you over-fill a cartomizer on an automatic battery is that the liquid can/does/will run into the battery, which causes the liquid to saturate the entire battery case. In this case, when I removed the jewel (ash end) from the battery, liquid dripped out of it, which would never have happened with normal use of our cartomizers.

In fact, I knew it could not have been a factory SS cartomizer because it smelled like cinnamon. We do not, of course, offer any cartos that smell like cinnamon...or any other "flavor", for that matter, just in case I erred on the scent that I detected.

This battery contained so much liquid that it had migrated past the carto connector, into the battery, and continued past the silicone seal, into the automatic switch, and soaked the PCB (electronics) and soaked the backside of the jewel.

Obviously, not good. Understand that the automatic switch senses the movement of air across it to activate the battery when you vape. When the switch is filled/saturated with liquid, it can no longer detect air moving across it (when you vape) and one of two things will happen.

Either you will have no response at all from your SS when you attempt to vape, no matter how hard you draw (because it's stuck in an open position),...or the switch, after the next vape, will remain in a closed position which will cause a time-out and greatly reduce the time that you can use your battery between charges. This will not only increase the frequency of necessary battery charges, but also will reduce the life of each cartomizer.

So, please feel free to refill or drip into your SS, but please DO NOT expect your warranty to be honored if we discover that the problem has been caused by doing any of this.

DSC03472.jpg

Attachments

• treasurehuntsquirrel.jpg
    treasurehuntsquirrel.jpg
    960 bytes · Views: 131
Last edited by a moderator:

Biomom

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2010
Washington, DC
This is a great post! Thank you so much, especially the picture really does demonstrate such a common issue with batteries.

I think you're pretty generous with the lifetime warranty, with the nature of lithiums anyway.

I posted somewhere about refilling SS cartos, but it is important to err on the side of caution. I tend to underfill and bring a new factory carto in my case just in case.

I would personally suggest NEVER trying to fill your carto while attached to the battery; this is just not a "drip" model. Also, if you blow gently and tap the carto once you've filled it on both ends into a tissue, you can feel pretty secure that you haven't overfilled it. Also thoroughly wipe down the threaded end, even if you don't see juice before attaching to the battery. Helps keep down any possible oxidation too.

And please for our suppliers' sakes, blow on the light end of the battery with threads into a paper towel or tissue to make sure you didn't "juice" it BEFORE you send it back to them :blush: Not just for courtesy sake, but also keeps future costs down for all of us. :2cool:

Best wishes,
Biomom/Slinky

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
And please for our suppliers' sakes, blow on the light end of the battery with threads into a paper towel or tissue to make sure you didn't "juice" it BEFORE you send it back to them Not just for courtesy sake, but also keeps future costs down for all of us.

I ......WE.....sincerely appreciate that someone understands economics! Your absolutely right Biomom......Bill is generous to a fault in my opinion....you all know I would not be as nice as he is. :) So abusing the system does cost us money and could force us to amend our policy for ECF members....since we KNOW you all refill. That said.....I do have to take issue with the concept of blowing into the LED end of a battery....simply because I am not sure......I am going to ask Steve to respond to this. So please don't be offended if he says that this is not the right thing to do. Until we hear from Steve....please dont do this.

My apologies for being overly cautious......but Biomom is again completely right....we DON'T market our product to drippers or refillers....in truth....no auto battery should be treated this way. So let me shake the tech squirrels tree and see what he says.....:vapor:

bigblue30

ECF Veteran
I do have to take issue with the concept of blowing into the LED end of a battery....simply because I am not sure......I am going to ask Steve to respond to this. So please don't be offended if he says that this is not the right thing to do. Until we hear from Steve....please dont do this.

My apologies for being overly cautious......but Biomom is again completely right....we DON'T market our product to drippers or refillers....in truth....no auto battery should be treated this way. So let me shake the tech squirrels tree and see what he says.....:vapor:

LK, right on.

This comes from a source higher than me.

Blowing into the "light end" can result in two things. First, when you blow into the battery from the "light end", moisture from your mouth can migrate into the automatic switch, resulting in a failure of that switch. In testing, I've seen enough of this to know this is not a good thing. Second, the automatic switch is designed to sense a vacuum * when you draw from the threaded end. Blowing into the "light end" can cause the automatic switch to stick closed. Either of these scenarios could render the battery inoperable. Both of these actions can be diagnosed when they are returned to SmokeStik Testing for warranty coverage.

Yes, SmokeStik does have a generous warranty. Please do not do this.

* When you draw on an e-cig, you are creating a vacuum within the metal tube. This causes air to be drawn into the opposite end (lit end) causing the switch to sense that air movement and activate the e-cig. When you create air movement in this way, there is much less air movement than when you insert the lit end into your mouth and blow. To demonstrate this, using a drinking straw, first suck the end of the straw and then blow into it. You will notice that when you blow into it much more pressure and air flow is generated than when sucking from it. This higher air flow from blowing into the lit end is what can cause the switch to stick closed.

Last edited:

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Biomom......it was a good thought though! I hope you are not offended at the correction.....this is how we all learn. I have been very tempted to go back and delete about 9 months worth of my posts.....but that would just be admitting that I realize how silly I sounded.

oh....shoot....I guess I just admitted it!!

Biomom

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2010
Washington, DC
LOL. It was before sending in a "dead" battery dear. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. To determine if there's a ton of juice in there before sending the YUCK like from above. :)

Now I hope it makes more sense! I agree, no need to blow into the battery otherwise on THIS model. But blowing into the cartomizer, which it was intended for, can demonstrate if there's too much juice before attaching to the battery.

Biomom......it was a good thought though! I hope you are not offended at the correction.....this is how we all learn. I have been very tempted to go back and delete about 9 months worth of my posts.....but that would just be admitting that I realize how silly I sounded.

oh....shoot....I guess I just admitted it!!

Bluesmom

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2010
Tennessee - Chattanooga
Kudos! You guy's are brilliant, I learn so much from just reading in the SS forums. I am new to all this and I can most times find an answer to any question I have simply by reading the forums. Knowlege is power right??? :)

P.S I have been known to draw on the LED end by mistake, or sheer clumsiness, scared me the first time it happened because the light stayed on until I drew on the correct end, I do however learn by my mistakes.

Last edited:

spacekitty

Krazee Kat Laydee & Guru-X2.5
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
SoCal, USA
OMG!! I can't believe somebody actually did that to a poor defenseless battery!! :shock:
(in fact, that looks like a Pitbull, if I'm not mistaken...)

I always tend to overfill things, but since I went straight from my 510 starter kit to the Pitbull beta test, I also know never to get liquid in an auto batt, and never, ever use them for dripping!! So far I have never had that misfortune... <knock wood>

I do have one question, and maybe those instructions were posted before the rules had changed, but during the beta test we were told NOT to blow any excess liquid out of the threaded end... which is contrary to what is posted in this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/smokestik/133342-cartomizer-tips-smokestiks.html and also contrary to what is done with most other cartos. The reason for this being (we were told) that the SS cartos don't like to get wet on the batt end, either, and do not perform as well after that happens...

Can you shed any light on this please??

Last edited:

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
LOL. It was before sending in a "dead" battery dear. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. To determine if there's a ton of juice in there before sending the YUCK like from above.

Now I hope it makes more sense! I agree, no need to blow into the battery otherwise on THIS model. But blowing into the cartomizer, which it was intended for, can demonstrate if there's too much juice before attaching to the battery.

YES! hehe......what she said. :)

I always blow out the cartos before putting them back on a battery.

well...I mean IF I was refilling them that is.....not that I do..... since I have yet to beg or snivel my way to a bottle of SmokeStik ejuice......:(

Welcome to the SmokeStik forum Bluesmom......VERY happy to see another dog person. Sometimes the switch can stick if the carto is overfilled and there is juice blocking the air inlets....if that happens just loosen the carto. Also you can try just tapping the battery in the palm of your hand fairly sharply.

bigblue30

ECF Veteran
I don't drip, but my PB did hit the water once...I'm all paranoid that that poor puppy was mine. It worked fine after its bath and seemed happy right up to the time i mailed it away ....

CES, Not to worry...unless your water smells like big red gum. That was the smell of the liguid.

bigblue30

ECF Veteran
don't drip, but my PB did hit the water once...I'm all paranoid that that poor puppy was mine. It worked fine after its bath and seemed happy right up to the time i mailed it away ....
Ok... I will say it a different way. CES, Your returned PB is still in perfect shape. It has not been taken apart.

Last edited:

Volgot

Feb 8, 2011
Stockholm, NJ
  • Deleted by lorikay13
  • Reason: hostile and inflammatory

Koman

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
lv
Well I agree with that BigBlue. Anybody that drips or gets that much juice in an automatic is asking for trouble. That is one of the first things I learned about automatic batteries and probably one of the most posted about when I started vaping,
My Pitbull is still working great.

Totally agreed !!!

DavidDer

Moved On
Jul 29, 2019
  • Deleted by Misty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread