Please explain OHM/Volts/Watts/Joules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jclay505

Nov 2, 2015
Okay so I've been trying to wrap my head around how all this works.. So I just ordered the ipv d2 75W with 0.2-3.0 ohm resistance.. I got the kangetech subtank mini with a .5 ohm/30W coil.. And I got LG he4 2500 mah 20a battery.. So what I would like explained to me is how the specifications of ohms and watts of the coil and mod will work? Its a temp control mod so I want to know what I would need to do to have the temp control read 2.0 ohms so I may vape at that with 30 watts.. Help please?

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Specs on a device describe it's range of capabilities, and don't determine how you use it.

The IPV D2 is designed to be able to work at up to 75 watts IF the chosen coil resistance allows, and will function (although maybe not up to 75 watts) on any coil that falls within the given range. Too low or high a resistance, and it should refuse to fire. (Don't have one of those, so can't say exactly what the display will show for either case, but typically something like "lo Ω or NON, respectively.

Your STM with the 0.5 coil is safely within the IPV range, so should not be a problem.

The STM "rating" is a tad different. The resistance should be as marked, although manufacturing tolerances may result in it being slightly off. But 30W is not necessarily where you should set your mod. Best practice is to start at the low end and work up in steps until you get the vape results that you like. And going over 30 watts on it may cause problems due to not enough air flow over the coil for a good vape, and likely burning the wick.

Unless you have the right coil / head for TC, with the right type of wire, do NOT use TC mode. Most non-TC coils are Kanthal, and TC does NOT work with Kanthal. Most TC coils are well below that 0.5 Ω.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
May I also suggest that you read up a bit on temperature limiting mods and how they work, especially your IPV D2. It's very difficult to explain everything you need to know about "OHM/Volts/Watts/Joules" here.

And watch some video reviews of your gear--pbusardo is one of the better reviewers on YouTube.

If you want to use your Subtank in TC mode, you'll need to get special nickel coils. The coils that came with your ST are NOT suitable for TC mode, as David pointed out. They can only be run in wattage (power) mode.

http://www.kangeronline.com/products/kanger-nickel-ni200-occ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread