Please, find an alternative to LiquidWeb

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
please, don't laugh - i don't know much about the technical aspects but i was wondering if the 2 servers ecf is using are created equal.
my problem, most of the time, can be traced back to a lousy connection. but i see people complaining with excellent connections, while others, at the same time, don't run into any problems and then, a few days later, it seems to be reversed.
could it be the luck of the draw which server handles your requests?

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
@Tibs
We have several servers, and yes, it's possible one is playing up at any given time. Try going to another site, clearing all private data except passwords, closing the browser, and returning to ECF. That way you can get allocated to another box.

Sometimes it even needs a PC reset to clear all data: shutdown the computer, disconnect the power plug from the back, hit the power-on button three times, reconnect the power cable, and reboot. It doesn't hurt to do this once in a while as it unlocks stuff. If you have a laptop, shut down - turn it upside down - remove the battery pack - hit the power button 3 times - refit the battery pack - power up.

Also in the area of PC management, people should use disk images so they can clear out their PC every 6 or 12 months. No matter what you do, a computer gradually gets clogged up and in the end the only way to fix it is to wipe it and re-install Windows. It doesn't matter how good your defragging / registry management / junk file cleaning is.

No one who knows about computers reinstalls Windows from scratch any more, that all stopped about 5 years ago, people use a 'disk image' now: with a new, clean install of Windows, create a disk image or clone or ghost of the disk with Acronis or Macrium etc. Then make another a month later when all your working apps and data are fully installed and running. Then 12 months later save your data to a USB drive and wipe the computer. You can reinstall Windows, apps and data in 20 minutes and have a new, clean, fast PC. I also do that with new PCs as the ridiculous junk on there is a handicap not a help (junk trial apps, large parts of the disk used for for backup partitions and the like).

@Martinc
If the Contacts page loads quickly but forum pages are very slow, there is a an issue somewhere on the PC. It could be the PC's handling of scripts, or a browser issue. This is if the main content does not load within 10 seconds on most pages.

Update the java install by using the JavaRa process. In theory this has nothing to do with anything but sometimes it fixes an otherwise insoluble problem and nobody really knows why...

Update the browser. Use Firefox with script blocker plugins. Use Opera with nothing added on, it loads an ECF page in 8 seconds and if it doesn't, there is some kind of problem on the PC.

I'd always recommend changing the DNS server IPs in the router because, again, this can fix some otherwise insoluble problems that apparently have nothing to do with the issue - PortForward.com and A3webtech have some info on this but if you need to know the detail, open a new thread.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
@Tibs
We have several servers, and yes, it's possible one is playing up at any given time. Try going to another site, clearing all private data except passwords, closing the browser, and returning to ECF. That way you can get allocated to another box.

i wonder if the same thing can be accomplished by switching browsers....I switch between firefox and chrome (both with adblock), 90% of the time the lag occurs with one browser but not the other. I just use the one that is running the best at the time. Then again, maybe it's coincidence/placebo. (eight seconds seems to me to be a very long time :?: )

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers

bodrell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Michigan
I use both FireFox and IE (depending on this and that and FF is definitely a bit faster because IE sucks.)

But the issue remains: ECF is the single most slowest-loading site I visit regularly. The last things that load are those asinine FB and Google + and twitter and all those other idiotic "social network" plug-ins so I assume those things are what slows stuff down.
I really don't care how fast the "contact me" page loads. I don't visit this site to contact admin, I visit it to check forums - they are glacially slow. I visit quite a few sites on a daily basis; this one is hands-down the slowest.

I am happy to pay monthly for participation on another (VB Bulletin and extremely high-volume) forum I visit to get rid of ads and stupid plug-ins and speed loading time, and I also pay for NYT full coverage 24/7 news. I'd pay for this site too - because I think it's a great site - but only if I thought I'd get better performance. ie, a tad faster than glacial. The uber-defensive stance by admin isn't going to win hearts and minds, you know. There are even higher-volume, more content-rich, sites out there that load much faster than than this one.

Make it faster and I'll pay up in a heartbeat. Defend the current server and harangue users for not being uber-geeks or knowledgeable or for the venial sin of using browsers that work just fine anywhere else but here, and I won't pay to use this site.

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
Not sure what you mean Tibs. He has a local PC problem and I was trying to help.

Unless the Chrome kill page is related to Buzzkill or something...

THe Chrome KILL PAGE is a timeout setting inside Chrome , so IF it takes longer then XX amount of time the popup comes up in chrome .

It is very slow loading so ?? I know this has got to be a total headache BUT !

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
sorry, i thought for sure you typed internet exploder on purpose, roly! :laugh:

Ah, yes, Internet Exploder... Well my auto-complete does that, automagically.

IE got a lot of votes as the worst app of any kind, ever, due partly to its helpful nature as a welcoming open door to malware. Not sure if the latest version is any good but I wouldn't dare use it, I don't need a bunch of rootkits that much. It's blocked in my HIPS app from starting and it's blocked in the firewall from dialling out. Kind of like ftp.exe, RIP and thanks very much.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
THe Chrome KILL PAGE is a timeout setting inside Chrome , so IF it takes longer then XX amount of time the popup comes up in chrome .

It is very slow loading so ?? I know this has got to be a total headache BUT !

Buzz, tell me please, how long does this page take to load: Ecigarette Forum Contacts

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread