Not open for further replies.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
Thank you!!!!!! The site is running so much faster and I've already seen a lot of people post that they will be back to this site more often now that it's running better. I'm so happy :)

Thank you :nun:

Oh, they'll find something else to complain about. :laugh:

Keekers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Michigan
^^^ That!

Thread size has no effect (if you experienced a difference, it was coincidence, as this is simple fact). And now with this close threads and force new threads, you've caused "real" fragmentation with the users who had their bookmarks and subscriptions set, and now have to start over with popular threads, amongst other issues. Not logical, IMHO.

Yes the thread size does have an effect

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
The library is too big... we need to tear more pages out of the books and hide them in the basement... that should help!

I'm not experiencing faster times... but I do have an irritation caused by my Supplier Thread being closed and restarted by "guest"... and this means it's no longer my thread to open and close if I choose.

This is an interesting point. You can ask a Mod, but yes, I do see the issue. We will have to think about this.

I'm curious about one thing...

Why were all the social media buttons added, only to have management tell us to disable them in our browser?

The site started slowing down the INSTANT they were added... and I'll bet it speeds right back up if you remove them.

Ad blocker doesn't tell the server to not send the data... it tells the browser to not render the data... it's still downloading!

I am very sympathetic to this issue because as the site manager I hate adding things that I know will wreck the site load speed. Unfortunately, the modern web being what it is, we have to have the social linking otherwise we lose out to those who do. Plus, every week we are adding more extensions to the site that inevitably slow it down - and nothing that speeds it up.

The solution is for us to try and get the 'extra' materials to load after the main page content, and to provide ways for those who don't need it to block it. It's all we can do. Therefore if people complain about something, they must be the people who don't want or need it, so we'll try to help them avoid whatever is causing the issue for them.

There are tens of thousands of visitors to the site every day, and in the end we probably go with what works for the majority. Where possible we'll try to find solutions for those who don't like some aspect of it. I know that AdBlocker is not the ideal solution to this but it does work for some. There are also other solutions for those who are desperate, due to a poor network connection. These involve blocking things at an earlier stage and are a bit more involved.

If you will allow me to, I will point out that some users get blinding fast speed from ECF: an average pageload speed of 2.5 seconds, dropping to 3 or 3.5 seconds for some pages in some circumstances. This basically tells us we have no *major* problem with the server set-ups, but of course it doesn't mean that some users can't get locked to a faulty server, or have some sort of issue with the content as served, which we can and should fix.

What I am saying is that most speed issues are local in some way, and that a small number may be errors that we need to pin down. By 'local' errors I mean DNS, user network, PC and browser issues. If some users are getting all and every pageload at under 3.5 seconds then I cannot see any other explanation. We might even have to make a video of this to prove it.

By 'pageload' I mean the ECF pages and not the add-on social stuff, of course. That can take forever, sometimes, as it comes from other sites.

Last edited:

Keekers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Michigan
Thanks rolygate...you were only trying to help as many of us aren't happy with the slow speeds. I appreciate you looking into this. I'm not trying to rehash the issue but I've done many speed tests and my internet connection/Mac has a fast internet connection. The site was very slow except for the contacts pages and maybe some other places I didn't experiment with. As soon as the REO Lounge thread was closed and re-opened in a new thread the connection/speed is 80x faster.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
Yes Zen, by all means. Please do whatever is necessary, and if it it doesn't work out for you, ask a Mod to fix the problem if they can.

I'm sorry about this whole thing but we had to test it.

I understand... it's tough when there's issues like this... bumps in the road are bound to happen... it's how things work out in the end that count!

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
OK. First thing I notice is that there's a bunch of client side logging going on. This should only be enabled during development/testing. It's probably not causing too much slow down, but every cycle counts.

Next. Most static resources originating from ECF are being cached correctly. A lot aren't.

There's a LOT of resources loaded from outside domains that are not being loaded deferred. This is a page load killer right here!

There's a total of 31 static resources being served from the main ECF domain on every page load and I count a total of 19 cookies stored on my machine from ECF. Each of those requests send every cookie along with it. I see a total of 66 bytes of cookie data for each of those 31 requests. That a total of 2kb of meaningless data getting *pushed* to your server; ON EVERY PAGE LOAD. A great optimization would be to simply serve static resources from something like "resources.ecf.com". The ECF cookies will not be attached to those requests and the the size of the requests get dramatically reduced.

GZip is your friend. Use it!

Aside from that, it's gonna be all server side.

Simply creating new threads from "big" ones will not help you one bit. Threads are a virtual idea. A thread could be 1 billion pages long and have no effect on performance.

I suspect you either need to throw more hardware at it or your database is fragmented. Try rebuilding the indexes. It's an easy start.
Quoted for truth! Other optimizations need to be in place rather than just 'snipping' threads. I won't delve too far into this as per some of the responses I've seen... some things are just better off left unsaid.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
^^^ That!

Thread size has no effect (if you experienced a difference, it was coincidence, as this is simple fact). And now with this close threads and force new threads, you've caused "real" fragmentation with the users who had their bookmarks and subscriptions set, and now have to start over with popular threads, amongst other issues. Not logical, IMHO.

Coincidence! Unbelievable. :facepalm:

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I just want my pictures back, I agree that the site has been slow/buggy for me recently, and it is running better, but every picture I've ever posted is a link you can't view without opening a new window...annoying.

This is a puzzler because so many pics are still showing but others are lost. I wonder if it has anything to do with where the pics came from like photo bucket, or some other storage site. And some people can post pics today and some people can't. Doesn't make sense.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Front page--under 2 seconds

This thread--under 2 seconds

Response on threads: 8 seconds

(Burning cartomizers--3 seconds :))

Using Windows 7 and IE 9. There's nothing wrong with IE 9. :D

I got very similar results with Chrome and FF, BTW.

This is record speed for me. Normally I have to wait 15-16 seconds to get to "My Posts," for instance. I wonder if flushing all browser data had anything to do with it...:unsure:

An update:

Front page: 5 sec
This page: 4 sec
Response on threads: 13 sec
Back to My Posts: 18 sec......

Is the honeymoon over?

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Quoted for truth! Other optimizations need to be in place rather than just 'snipping' threads. I won't delve too far into this as per some of the responses I've seen... some things are just better off left unsaid.

Our basic set-up is fine, we have users who always and without fail get any page on the site to load in 2.5 seconds logged out and 3.5 seconds logged in. That's all day every day, without fail.

For a site of this type, that is lightning fast (hundreds of usergroups/conditionals/heavyweight extensions processed on every request).

What we do have a problem with is some specific users. These probably fall into three groups, and we are working on resolving their issues:

- Users who may experience a glitch on one of our servers
- Users in a location where static content serving is very slow
- Users with one or all of the following: DNS IP issue, ISP DSL / network issue, PC issue, browser issue

Pages don't load for users every day without fail in about 3 seconds on a site like this if there is a core problem. There are ancillary problems for some users that we need to find and fix.

The thread splitter is a subsidiary issue with no relevance to most people. It's just a matter for techies to argue over and does not affect performance issues of interest.

Last edited:

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Keekers,
Thanks for this info.

One reason you get such good service is that you are very close to our hosting, which is in Lansing. It is a good guide to the maximum speed possible, and also to the core speed of the servers and site. In other words, if you are getting fast pageloads, that is the base speed of the site, and we need to investigate why others get slower speeds.

Can you run this test for us please:

- Flush cookies and cache, in your browser.
- Close the browser.
- Re-open the browser.
- Go to the front page, then other pages including posts, and note the time to view the first post on the page
- Return to the front page and note the load time again (to see the main page content)

Let us know these times if you can, please. Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread