Please help me to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyJo

Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I had tried using e-cigarette about 3 years ago. I stopped that because of its taste and safety issues (I don't trust made in China stuff...).
After knowing there are "made in America" e-cigarette, I want to try it again.

Questions about the hardware:
I know that for the hardware, it is quite impossible to avoid the made in China parts unless I am going to spend over $100 (which I cannot afford at this moment).
Should I buy the "starter kit" or battery and
atomizer separately?
I have read someone said that brand is just a personal choice, but is there any brand I should stay away?
And where is the best place to get the hardware?

[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]Questions about the juice:[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, verdana, sans-serif]I prefer using juice that contain no nicotine and I like the taste of coffee and alcohol.
And I like thicker, warmer smoke.
Can you recommend me some brand?

If I have missed any information that you needed to help me, please let me know.

Thanks.
[/FONT]

Reactions: tom altman

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum KennyJo. Glad to have you here!:)

No need to fear hardware made in China. Aspire, Innokin, KangerTech, JoyeTech are several of the most respected companies in the community, especially when it comes to "plug-and-play" hardware.

If you are looking for a setup here are some possible options for you to consider:

A variable v/w (twist/spinner) is usually recommended over a "non variable" v/w battery. It allows you to adjust your settings to get a better "vape". Some flavors taste better at higher voltages than 3.7v

1. JoyeTech Ego-C Twist
2. Aspire Vision Spinner
3. Innokin iTaste vv v4
4. Innokin iTaste MVP 20 watt
5. eLeaf iStick

The first 3 are fall into the "ego style" category of battery (with variable voltage). They range in size from 600mah to 1300mah. The higher the mah the longer the battery will last between charging.

The 4th & 5th ones are a step up from an "ego style" battery in that they are smaller variable v/w box mods with a very big battery (2400-2600mah). It will last many vapers a whole day before it needs recharging. The MVP is probably one of the most popular batteries for someone upgrading from an "ego style" battery. The iStick is also very popular.

I suggest buying only name brand Joyetech Twist or Vision Spinner ego batteries if you choose to go this route. BTW, "ego" is merely a type of battery, not a brand name. Buying "generic" ego batteries is always going to be hit or miss...mostly miss.

You will also need to purchase a tank (the juice attachment) and extra coils. The mini Nautillus, mini Aerotank or regular size Aerotank (all made of glass & all have adjustable airflow control) are very popular.

Why would you want a glass tank (you may be thinking to yourself)? Here is a great resource regarding "tank cracking" eliquid by ECF member Baditude: Something Safe for Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors

ebriel

Verified Member
Nov 8, 2013
Peoria, AZ
Hello and welcome to the forum KennyJo. Glad to have you here!:)

No need to fear hardware made in China.

If you are looking for a setup here are some possible options for you to consider:

A variable v/w (twist/spinner) is usually recommended over a "non variable" v/w battery. It allows you to adjust your settings to get a better "vape". Some flavors taste better at higher voltages than 3.7v

1. JoyeTech Ego-C Twist
2. Aspire Vision Spinner
3. Innokin iTaste vv v4
4. Innokin iTaste MVP 20 watt
5. eLeaf iStick

The first 3 are fall into the "ego style" category of battery (with variable voltage). They range in size from 600mah to 1300mah. The higher the mah the longer the battery will last between charging.

The 4th & 5th ones are a step up from an "ego style" battery in that they are smaller variable v/w box mods with a very big battery (2400-2600mah). It will last many vapers a whole day before it needs recharging. The MVP is probably one of the most popular batteries for someone upgrading from an "ego style" battery. The iStick is also very popular.

I suggest buying only name brand Joyetech Twist or Vision Spinner ego batteries if you choose to go this route. BTW, "ego" is merely a type of battery, not a brand name. Buying "generic" ego batteries is always going to be hit or miss...mostly miss.

You will also need to purchase a tank (the juice attachment) and extra coils. The mini Nautillus, mini Aerotank or regular size Aerotank (all made of glass & all have adjustable airflow control) are very popular.

Why would you want a glass tank (you may be thinking to yourself)? Here is a great resource regarding "tank cracking" eliquid by ECF member Baditude: Something Safe for Cinnamon and Citrus Flavors

I agree, although I'm partial to the Vision Spinners since that's what I first used that finally made me quit cigarettes (you can get them for cheap at 101 Vape or vaping.me). You can't go wrong with the MVP! I loved my v2 when I got it. You can also get the 20 watt MVP from 101 for relatively cheap. I'd almost recommend getting that over the ego-twists since the MVPs have more options.

As far as the juice, I honestly have no idea about alcohol or coffee flavors :blush:

KennyJo

Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Thank you for the replies.

Since no one suggestion me to get a "starter kit", I believe I should start with getting the mod and atomizer separately (I hope this can add more fun to the vaporing experience. LoL).

And here come more questions and I hope you guys can help me with them.
Questions:
When buying atomizer and mod separately, is there anything, other than will they fit, I need to keep in mind?

How many sets of atomizer and mod will I need?

Other than the atomizer and mod, do I need any accessories to enjoy vaporing?

According to my reading, lower ohm would provide thicker and warmer smoke. But I know/think that is not the only thing affecting the thickness of smoke..
Since I prefer thicker and warmer smoke (like a cigar), what voltage or ohm will fit me need?

I see there are atomizer which have airflow adjustment (like Kanger Aerotank), what advantages and disadvantage will that have?

Last edited:

ebriel

Verified Member
Nov 8, 2013
Peoria, AZ
When buying atomizer and mod separately, is there anything, other than will they fit, I need to keep in mind?

I'm using a Kayfun Lite + v2 tank, so I build my own coils - so I'm sort of out of touch with newer tanks. However, if you get a Kanger Aerotank or something you will also need to purchase additional/replacement coils.

Depending on what mod you get, you may need to get a charger separately (for example, one comes with the MVP, but you would need to pick one up for something like a Vision Spinner).

How many sets of atomizer and mod will I need?
You would really only need one atomizer/tank, but you could potentially have a separate tank for each flavor that you're vaping. I'd only suggest that if you're actually regularly vaping both flavors. I you're only using one flavor, then you'll really only need 1 atomizer/tank.

Honestly, this depends. If you get something with a pass-through charger (like the MVP), then I'd say that you only need one mod. Those batteries have a pretty long vape time before needing to be charged.

If you go with a spinner type battery, then I would say to get 2, so even if one is charging - you still have one to be vaping with.

Other than the atomizer and mod, do I need any accessories to enjoy vaporing?
Not really. It depends on you. If you need a lanyard or something to carry your mod around with you, then go for it. If you want to customize your piece with a different drip tip, then do that. But there's nothing that's mandatory as far as accessories that I can think of.

According to my reading, lower ohm would provide thicker and warmer smoke. But I know/think that is not the only thing affecting the thickness of smoke..
Since I prefer thicker and warmer smoke (like a cigar), what voltage or ohm will fit me need?
I don't know much about sub-ohming, or using anything under 1.5 ohms. From what I understand, the lower the ohms (resistance), the faster that the coil heats up - leading to warmer smoke/bigger clouds.

Another consideration to get bigger, thicker clouds would be to use thicker juice. Something that is mostly VG instead of PG.

The voltage/wattage (power) is a personal choice, which is why it's a great idea to get something like the MVP, or iStick. You can try voltage or wattage with a few button clicks and fiddle around until you find what works best for you with your set-up and juice.

I see there are atomizer which have airflow adjustment (like Kanger Aerotank), what advantages and disadvantage will that have?
I love having airflow control. It basically let you dial in how tight your draw is (how hard you have to suck to get a hit). I like mine wide open and airy, as my brother likes his really tight (whenever I try to take a taste off of his tanks, it's like trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose). I can think of no disadvantages to having the option to make it looser or tighter, with the exception of my not knowing much about the Aerotank, etc., since I've never used one.

Juices!
I just thought of some that may have a coffee or cigar-like taste to them (at least in my opinion). Give Heather's Heavenly Vapes a try! You can get a sample pack of 4 flavors that you can choose (they will be 70 PG 30 VG and 12 mg nicotine though).

If you find something that you like, you can actually customize it to 100 VG, no nicotine, and everything in-between.

ebriel

Verified Member
Nov 8, 2013
Peoria, AZ
That's a lot of information.
Thanks!!

Should I invest more on atomizer or batteries?
I believe I would be interested in trying rebuilding atomizer in the future (although I have no idea what that mean at this moment), would that be a factor I need to consider in getting my first atomizer?

You're welcome!

I'm not really very familiar with current prices on atomizers, so I can't really give a good recommendation on the price or what to buy.

As for a battery, I think that you can get the MVP 20 watt from 101 vape for about $40 (you'll only need one).

I wouldn't worry about rebuilding yet, at least not on your first atomizer. Switch to rebuildables after you're comfortable with the idea and how everything works. (a good video on how to rebuild a Kayfun Lite + is here: http://youtu.be/PT2bkmsNVmI)

KennyJo

Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks again.
All the information are very helpful.

My last two questions before my final decision:
Which one is better, BVC (bottom vertical coil) or BDC (bottom dual coil)?

When someone decided to upgrade his/her equipment to get a better vaporing experience, which part, the atomizer or the battery, are more like to be changed in order to bring a difference?

Right now, I am planning in buying either a MVP 20W with Aspire BVC Glassomizer (more $ on battery), or iTaste VV (V3) with Aspire Nautilus Mini (more $ on atomizer).
Both setup cost around $50 (is that too much for a starter?), but I don't know which one is better (assuming I will keep vaporing and possible looking for some upgrade in the future...)

Last edited:

ebriel

Verified Member
Nov 8, 2013
Peoria, AZ
Thanks again.

When someone decided to upgrade his/her equipment to get a better vaporing experience, which part, the atomizer or the battery, are more like to be changed in order to bring a difference?

Right now, I am planning in buying either a MVP 20W with Aspire BVC Glassomizer, or iTaste VV (V3) with Aspire Nautilus Mini.
Both setup cost around $50 (is that too much for a starter?), but I don't know which one is better (assuming I will keep vaporing and possible looking for some upgrade in the future...)

You're welcome!

Coils: It's just a matter of taste. I believe that Dual Coils with burn a bit hotter and go through juice more quickly (a friend of mine had one and hated it), but I've never used a dual coil myself.

Upgrading: My first purchase was sort of a flub, but my second attempt (which worked for me) was a Vision Spinner & ProTank2. I upgraded to a Lavatube v2.5, but didn't really understand everything (kept getting burnt/plastic tasting hits because I had the voltage/wattage up too high with the standard silica wicks that came in the replacement coils for the ProTanks), so I moved back down to the Vision Spinner. After awhile, I figured out how to switch the silica wicks out and replace them with cotton wicks - which let me turn up the power without getting the burnt/plastic taste.

After that, I picked up the MVP v2 (the one that went to 11 watts) and still kept using my ProTanks. Then I picked up the Kayfun atomizer within a month.

I've heard great things about the Nautilus from my friends, even though I've never tried one.

Would it be possible to get the MVP 20W with the Aspire Nautilus Mini for around the same $50? I know that they'll work together, and that's what I would get with the options that you've just mentioned. $50 sounds pretty good to me for a starter setup like this one.

My guess would be that if you got the MVP and the Nautilus, that you would most likely upgrade your tank/atomizer first. Especially if you get into rebuildables like the Kayfun, Tou can get an EHPro clone of the Kayfun Lite + v2 for around $35 - I have one and haven't ever had a problem with it. It would also save you money in the long run in coils, etc. All you'd need is the basic wire (about $6 for 100 feet - which will last you a LONG time), cotton (again, something that will last you a really long time for a one time investment of $8-$16), and the basic tools that were shown in the video that I posted (which you most likely already own).

So my :2c: would be to get the MVP 20W + Aspire Nautilus Mini (but I don't know enough about the Aspire BVC Glassomizer - so my opinion may be skewed on the tank).

Also, make sure to find the juice that works for you, as I think that's really important.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Thanks again.

Right now, I am planning in buying either a MVP 20W with Aspire BVC Glassomizer (more $ on battery), or iTaste VV (V3) with Aspire Nautilus Mini (more $ on atomizer).

BVC is better than BDC.

I would definitely recommend the MVP, rather than the itaste, although both are excellent choices.
The MVP battery will last a LOT longer between charges, which is important. (Both will allow you to do pass-thru, though, so you can still vape them while they're charging, except you need to be somewhere where you can charge them!)

You are much more likely to change the atomizer ("head") than the battery (or at least have a bunch of heads, but only 1 or 2 batteries). There are a lot of different heads out there, with different performance and vastly different prices.

ebriel

Verified Member
Nov 8, 2013
Peoria, AZ
BVC is better than BDC.

I would definitely recommend the MVP, rather than the itaste, although both are excellent choices.
The MVP battery will last a LOT longer between charges, which is important. (Both will allow you to do pass-thru, though, so you can still vape them while they're charging, except you need to be somewhere where you can charge them!)

You are much more likely to change the atomizer ("head") than the battery (or at least have a bunch of heads, but only 1 or 2 batteries). There are a lot of different heads out there, with different performance and vastly different prices.

Thanks for the info on BVC vs BDC coils, as I said, I had no experience with them.

Great minds on the MVP recommendation! haha

I totally agree on changing the atomizer being more likely first. Especially if he gets the MVP. With 20 Watts available, he shouldn't need much more as far as power is concerned for quite some time.

KennyJo

Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Thank you for the help.
That's more than enough information to get started.
I am going to get the MVP 20W with the best atomizer I can afford.

And I will get into rebuilding or may be even making my own mod when I have time and knowledge.
I have some bad pipe that I would like to convert it into a e-pipe, LoL.

To ebriel:
To be honest, I have never thought about quitting smoking.
Indeed, I love smoking.
One year ago, I started smoking pipe and cigar, which resulted me hating American cigarette (the unnatural chemical taste).
But still, I love smoking Japanese cigarette (I can get them whenever I travel back to Hong Kong) and I need to smoke with my friend from time to time (social smoking?).
As a result, I need something to help me to stay connect with smoking and I believe vaporing is my best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread