Please my Radius seems dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well Breezy Dawn, I'm so glad you figured out (somehow) what was up with your temperamental Radius, for now. I'd be a bit hesitant on removing the battery myself, at this point. You still might want to keep the user's manual handy in case you need it, and I suppose you could email Bill about what happened and see if he knows why, or what's happening. I'd kind of list everything you did and then what worked, and ask if it's a known performance issue (though it does not seem to be).

Is this the first time you took the battery out?

Anna

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
Virginia
Well Breezy Dawn, I'm so glad you figured out (somehow) what was up with your temperamental Radius, for now. I'd be a bit hesitant on removing the battery myself, at this point. You still might want to keep the user's manual handy in case you need it, and I suppose you could email Bill about what happened and see if he knows why, or what's happening. I'd kind of list everything you did and then what worked, and ask if it's a known performance issue (though it does not seem to be).

Is this the first time you took the battery out?

Anna
Its only the 2nd time ive replaced it. I am going to see what he has to say about it. I think the fact its on now is a good sign? I hope at least!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think so. Remember, mods do start acting up from time to time, maybe this Radius has an extreme aversion to battery swaps, but hopefully you'll be able to get it figured out (maybe google Radius stops working when I remove the battery or something) see if anything pops up as a known issue. Sorry about your stressful morning, hope you are now vaping happily!! :)

Anna

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
Virginia
I think so. Remember, mods do start acting up from time to time, maybe this Radius has an extreme aversion to battery swaps, but hopefully you'll be able to get it figured out (maybe google Radius stops working when I remove the battery or something) see if anything pops up as a known issue. Sorry about your stressful morning, hope you are now vaping happily!! :)

Anna
It really took over my whole house this morning lol. Now i need to get to work. Glad to have a group like this to run too. I think that program started the recovery somehow. I would have lost my mind if not for you guys!!!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Breezy Dawn, I'm so sorry. Go get ready for work. Your radius will still be there when you get home. Grab your backup vape, dust yourself off, and remember most problems don't need to be resolved immediately. Just-- you tried a lot of stuff, you are in contact with the seller, you DO have a road forward if you need it. I totally get your frustration and dismay, but just Let it Be for now, and just let it percolate in the back of your brain today what YOU want to do. Sometimes, solutions present themselves, and it's going to be okay. In the grand scheme of things, even if you have to wait a month or two, email Bill, let him know of your issues, and see if the seller's willing to work something out with you.

I'm sorry. :(

Anna

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
OH NOoooo !!! Hate to hear this. The intermittent problem is far from normal and I don't think there is really much else you can do.

Yes, it does sound like it's battery change associated. I would first suspect that single black wire that is soldered to the little round brass looking "coin" that the spring in bottom plate of the Radius presses against when the bottom plate is screwed back into place.

If someone routinely in the past and present has often removed the battery to recharge, likely that single black wire has been "exercised" enough to break some of the wiring strands inside it. Thus only intermittently making a complete electrical connection.

That black wire has always struck me as being a bit stiff and not "exercise" friendly. To me, everything about how the Radius is put together screams, best to USB charge and don't change the battery often, so that's how I've always done it. I've had the same battery in my Radius for a year now and don't change it out. But I don't computer USB charge it either. I use a good 1A wall charger.

For peace of mind and reliability, have ProVari repair (Bill) check it out.

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
Virginia
OH NOoooo !!! Hate to hear this. The intermittent problem is far from normal and I don't think there is really much else you can do.

Yes, it does sound like it's battery change associated. I would first suspect that single black wire that is soldered to the little round brass looking "coin" that the spring in bottom plate of the Radius presses against when the bottom plate is screwed back into place.

If someone routinely in the past and present has often removed the battery to recharge, likely that single black wire has been "exercised" enough to break some of the wiring strands inside it. Thus only intermittently making a complete electrical connection.

That black wire has always struck me as being a bit stiff and not "exercise" friendly. To me, everything about how the Radius is put together screams, best to USB charge and don't change the battery often, so that's how I've always done it. I've had the same battery in my Radius for a year now and don't change it out. But I don't computer USB charge it either. I use a good 1A wall charger.

For peace of mind and reliability, have ProVari repair (Bill) check it out.
I just messaged him and hope to hear back some good news. The prices seem fair as long as its not the board,maybe i can send it in soon. For now its in the corner catching the stink eye from me.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If it came on even briefly Breezy, it doesn't sound like the board's completely dead. It sounds a lot more like some wire connected with the batteries. But, you'll also have the peace of mind of knowing that your Radius has been completely overhauled by the maker, and since there ARE no new Radius's (even with people selling them as new, they've been sitting, probably) it's probably the best thing you could do for your Radius. But, it doesn't sound like the board to me, or it never would have blinked, or come on. I'm betting it's an issue with the battery wiring, not that I'm any kind of expert.

Anna

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
That last video indicates ProVape's intention for the Radius to be USB charged and battery only removed when requiring permanent replacement. I just don't like to computer USB charge, although obviously from the video, ProVape had no issue with it. Puts an added load on my computer power supply. I have no idea of the integrity and regulation of the computer USB charge because it's not the specific design intent of a computer USB port. So I just always use a 1A USB wall charger (wall wart) ... and get faster, better regulated charging.

Last edited:

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2016
OMG OMG its on!!!!! I installed the radius program,plugged in to find program was asleep but it would not wake. Unplugged THEN i saw a tiny light inside but not working. So then i removed battery put same battery back in and THEN it turned on!!!!! Oh im so happy,confused but happy!!!! Thank you guys so much for going through this with me!!
So glad you got it up and running!

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2015
Virginia
And now really sorry it's back down again and feeling really stupid for not reading the rest of the way through...probably best that I don't talk a lot.

Still best of luck to you in getting it going again...
But I'm glad you spoke,I needed a giggle. I'm down to waiting from a fix it guy and see what he says. I think it's a connection issue and that may not be too costly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jwbnyc

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2014
There is is new sign!!! There is a tiny light blinking inside the fire button. What is it telling me???

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you still have it plugged in to the programming software, and the lights are pulsing, it means it is programming.

• Optimistic
Reactions: MJCSD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread